SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.

The editor of Log book will retire this coming August and, unless a new one comes forward, the society will close.
With this in mind, we are not taking in any new members.
This is an unfortunate situation but seemingly unavoidable.
$post_attachment_names[$j]

Aegna

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Aegna

Postby shipstamps » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:32 pm


Click image to view full size

Cargo built 1904 Howaldtswerke, Keil. Owner L G Sergo & Co., Tallin. 671Gt. L195’. B25’1”. Dr 11’4”. Ervice between Talin and Helsingfors. Formerly on Hambur and heligoland service as ADLER (ex SEEADLER). St Olviste Church and Custom Building are on the left foreground of stamp, flour mil on right of stamp. (This identity was first made by Officers and crew of SULEV at Liverpool, Dec 24 1939. Was subsequently confirmed by the owners. – Estonia SG139.
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Aegna

Postby aukepalmhof » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:19 pm

Built under yard 392 by the Howaldtswerke at Kiel, Germany.
08 Oct.1904 launched without a name, she was ordered by Kiel interests, who did not take delivery of the vessel.
Tonnage 594 gross. Dim. 195.0 (between pp) x 25.1ft.
One Zoelly steam turbine 1.200 bhp., speed 15 knots. (She was Germans first steam turbine steamer.)

After completing in Jan 1905 used by the builder for machinery trials. Then laid up until sold and refitted.
Got passenger accommodation for 30 first, 40 second and 100 steerage.
07 July 1912 acquired by Hamburg Amerika Linie (HAPAG) at Hamburg renamed ADLER.
Tonnage 563 gross, 202 net.
She was re-engined with a triple expansion steam engine 93 nhp., speed 11 knots.
From Nov 1914 until Nov 1918 requisitioned by the German Navy and used as a rescue hospital vessel.

1935 Sold by HAPAG to Louis Köster, Hamburg-Altona, renamed SEEADLER.
The same year already sold to Laevaühing G.Sergo & Ko., Tallinn, Estonia, renamed AEGNA.
Used in the service between Tallinn and Helsinki.
Seized by the Russians in June 1940 after the annexation of Estonia.
Captured by German forces in port in June 1941, used as a pilot tender.
28 Nov. 1944 when at Klaipeda she was captured by Russian forces.
Around 1946 renamed in VOLKHOV under Russian flag and registry.

1951 Deleted from Lloyds Register under the name AEGNA.

Sources; Hamburg America Line by Duncan Haws. Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1904.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 77 guests

cron