SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

DISCOVERY OF PORTO SANTO

João Gonçalves Zarco: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14429&p=16374&hilit=zarco#p16374 and Tristão Vaz Teixeira: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14430&p=16375&hilit=teixeira#p16375 discovered the island of Porto Santo in 1418 during the reign of Dom João I of Portugal.
The vessel depict on the MS is a “caravel redonda” viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10014&p=11903&hilit=caravel+redonda#p11903

The Discovery of Porto Santo, in 1418, and of Madeira, in 1419, constituted the first act that profoundly marked the epic of Portuguese Maritime Expansion, as these islands, thereafter, constituted an Atlantic base, which allowed Portugal to attain the position it occupies in World History, for, in the fitting words of Portugal's greatest poet, having given new worlds to the World. Such a significant historical event, which now happened 600years ago, is more than a good enough reason to celebrate this secular collective journey, which honours the memory of a people who, within and outside of the archipelago, have succeeded in maintaining the most outstanding features of an ‘Atlantic lusitanity’, that lends it its own cultural identity. Because Porto Santo was, of the discoveries, the first island, it will be the specific focus of this year's celebrations, which will include several popular and cultural initiatives, ranging from publications and exhibitions to conferences, shows and many other events in the public sphere in which the population and the school community will participate.

https://www.wopa-plus.com/en/stamps/product/&pgid=46418
Portugal Madeira 1918 1.50 Euro, sg?, scott?

DIOGO GOMES Portuguese Explorer

Dominica issued in 1991 a set of stamps for explores, the $4 stamp shows us a caravel viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8977&p=9068#p9068 used by Diogo Gomes for his discovery voyage along the West African coast.

Diogo Gomes (c. 1420 – c. 1500) was a Portuguese navigator, explorer and writer. Diogo Gomes was a servant and explorer of Portuguese prince Henry the Navigator. His memoirs were dictated late in his life to Martin Behaim. They are an invaluable (if sometimes inconsistent) account of the Portuguese discoveries under Henry the Navigator, and one of the principal sources upon which historians of the era have drawn. He explored and ascended up the Gambia River in West Africa and discovered some of the Cape Verde islands.
Early life
Probably a native of Lagos, Portugal, Diogo Gomes began as page in the household of Prince Henry the Navigator and subsequently rose to the rank of cavaleiro (knight) by 1440. Diogo Gomes participated in the 1445 slave raid led by Lançarote de Freitas of Lagos on the Arguin banks, and claims to have personally captured 22 Berber slaves singlehandedly.
He was named a royal clerk (escrivão da carreagem real) on 12 June 1451, and went on in the service of both Prince Henry and the Portuguese crown.
Expeditions
Circa 1456, Gomes was sent out by Prince Henry in command of three vessels down the West African coast. Gomes claims he was accompanied by Jacob, an "Indian" interpreter, which some early historians have taken as a rare indication that Henry envisaged reaching India at this early stage. However, modern historians find this improbable; Russell notes that, at the time, 'Indian' was commonly used as a moniker for an Ethiopian, and the furthest hope that Henry nurtured was of reaching the lands of Prester John.
Gomes is said to have reached as far as Rio Grande (now Geba River, in Guinea Bissau), a huge leap beyond the last point known to be reached by the Portuguese. But strong currents checked Gomes' course and his officers and men feared that they were approaching the extremity of the ocean, so he turned back. On his return, Gomes put in at the Gambia River and ascended up the Gambia a considerable distance, some 50 leagues (250 miles), reaching as far as the major market town of Cantor, an entrepot of the Mali gold trade. Gomes credits himself as the first Portuguese captain to interact peacefully with the natives in this region (all prior expeditions had been fended off or fallen in hostilities on the Senegambian coast, although Alvise Cadamosto had also sailed successfully that same year). At Cantor, Gomes collected much information about the gold mines and trade patterns of the upper Senegal and upper Niger, of the cities of Kukia and Timbuktu and the Trans-Saharan trade routes that stretched to the Moroccan coast.
Although the region was primarily Muslim, Gomes seems to have won over at least one important chief named Numimansa, with his court, to Christianity and Portuguese allegiance. Teixeira da Mota identifies 'Numinansa' as the chieftain of the Nomi Bato, and may have been the same chieftain responsible for the deaths of earlier explorers Nuno Tristão in c.1447 and Vallarte in c.1448. The Nomi Bato are probably ancestral to the current Niominka people of the Saloum River delta, and although currently classified as a Serer tribe, were probably originally Mandinka at the time.
Return to Portugal
By 1459, Gomes was appointed to the lucrative office of almoxarife (receiver of royal customs) of the town of Sintra. He remained in that position until c.1480.
Gomes made another African voyage in 1462 (which some historians date as 1460). He sailed down to the Saloum River delta (Rio dos Barbacins) in Senegal, to enter into trade with the Serer people of Sine and Saloum. There he stumbled upon the caravel of the Genoese captain António de Noli, and they charted a return journey together. On the return, Gomes sailed to the Cape Verde islands and claims to have been the first to land on and name Santiago island (his priority is contested by Cadamosto). Gomes speaks, with some resentment, of how Antonio de Noli managed to reach Lisbon before him and secured the captaincy of Santiago island from the king before his arrival.
Prince Henry having died in 1460; thus after his return, Gomes retired from active exploring and pursued a career with Henry's nephew and heir Ferdinand of Viseu and the royal court. In 1463, he was appointed royal squire (escudeiro) for King Afonso V of Portugal. In 1466, he secured a generous royal pension of 4,800 reals, to which were attached duties as a magistrate in Sintra (juiz das cousas e feitorias contadas de Sintra). At an uncertain date, he was also appointed magistrate in nearby Colares (juiz das sisas da Vila de Colares, for which we have confirmation by 5 March 1482).
Death
His death date is uncertain. Some date it as early as 1485, and one authority has 1482, although historian Peter Russell suggests he lived until at least 1499. There is confirmation he was certainly dead by 1502, from the record of an indulgence for his soul paid for by his widow.
Memoirs
Already in advanced age, Diogo Gomes orally dictated his memoirs to the German cartographer Martin Behaim during the latter's sojourn in Portugal. The date of the relation is uncertain and could be anytime between 1484 (Behaim's arrival) to 1502 (confirmation of Gomes' death). Historian Peter Russell tentatively dates the interview around 1499, as the account refers to the death of António de Noli, which occurred around that time. It is likely Gomes dictated in Portuguese, probably through an interpreter, and Behaim wrote it down in Latin (or alternatively in German, and only later transcribed to Latin).
The resulting memoirs, under the title De prima inuentione Guineae ("Of the first discovery of Guinea"), are the only surviving contemporary manuscript, outside of the official chronicle of Gomes Eanes de Zurara, that attempts to give a chronological account of all the Henrican discoveries. The manuscript has two other parts, De insulis primo inventis in mare Occidentis (an account of Canary Islands and the Madeira group) and De inventione insularum de Acores (containing the only detailed record of the Portuguese discovery of the Azores islands).
Historians generally treat Diogo Gomes's account with caution - his penchant for self-promotion, his advanced age, his attempt to recollect events more than two decades past, misunderstandings by Behaim's interpreter, the haste of the transcription (the Latin is quite poor, suggesting it was hurriedly written) and possibly even some supplementary massaging of the material by editor Valentim Fernandes, have conspired to make it an imperfect document, with numerous errors and inconsistencies. Nonetheless, it is an enormously valuable document, containing details that are not found elsewhere.
Among other novelties, Gomes' memoirs are the sole record of what appears to have been the earliest Portuguese expedition, a 1415 expedition to Gran Canaria by João de Trasto (although this is probably just an erroroneous reference of the 1424 expedition of Fernando de Castro). Gomes also gives the first detailed account of the rediscovery of the Azores by the Portuguese in Prince Henry's service.
The memoirs are noteworthy for illuminating the character and purpose of Prince Henry the Navigator, ascribing to the prince a deliberate scientific and commercial purpose in exploration. Gomes notes Henry sent out his caravels to search for new lands (ad quaerendas terras) from his wish to know the more distant parts of the western ocean, and in the hope of finding islands or terra firma beyond the limits laid down by Ptolemy (ultra descriptionem Tolomei); on the other hand, his information as to the native trade from Tunis to Timbuktu and the Gambia helped to inspire his...

ISLE OF MAN PORTS

Isle of Man Ports:
18p Douglas, she is the largest harbour of the islands, and the ferries terminal is there. The ferry visible is the KING ORRY V. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5992&p=5988&hilit=KING+ORRY+V#p5988

23p Castletown, situated in the south of the Isle of Man, the harbour is dominated by an ancient castle. In the harbour alongside are some pleasure craft visible.

37p Port St Mary, Port St Mary is the principal harbour in the South of the island. It handles coastal vessels, supports a buoyant fishing industry. The stamp shows fishing vessels, cabin cruisers and yachts.

40p Ramsey is the second busiest harbour on the island, dealing with mixed cargo, fishing and pleasure craft. The red hulled cargo vessel on the left of the stamp is the GLENFYNE,
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13445#!lightbox[gallery]/1/

Source: Isle of Man Post Office information letter No 63.
Isle of Man 1992 18/40p sg 527/30, scott 519/22 and MSsg 531, scott 523a/523b. For the MS see also: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5992&p=5988&hilit=KING+ORRY+V#p5988

JACQUES BOULLAIRE

French Polynesia issued in 1993 four stamps for the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Jacques Boullaire (1893-1976) a French painter.
He worked and lived n Tahiti from 1937 – 1966.
The stamps shows us scenes on Tahiti from that time, which were designed after etching he made there, in the background of each stamp you see a schooner rigged vessels. Of the vessels I have not any details.

32F Pahi Moorea.
36F Pahi Tuamotu.
39F Pahi Rututu
51F Pahi Nuku-Hiva

French Polynesia 1993 sg676/79, scott 616/619

BAT'A CANAL

The Czech Republic issued one stamp for the Bat’a Canal, the stamp shows us pleasure boats and a small passenger vessel with tourists on board for a sightseeing trip on the canal.

The Baťa Canal, also known as the Otrokovice-Rohatec Canal, is a historical 52 km waterway built in 1935-38 to connect Otrokovice with Rohatec. The waterway partly follows the Morava River, the rest is a complex of man-made canals with a number of gates, locks (14), and other water structures. There are 23 bridges across the canal, with pedestrian underpasses (platforms with iron-bound low railing used to support tow ropes when towing boats below the bridge).
The main material transported on the waterway was lignite from the Ratiškovice mines owned by the Baťa company. It was transported to the lignite fired power plant in Otrokovice, which supplied heat and power to the local leatherworking plant.
A number of unique technical facilities were installed on the waterway, such as a coal tipper between Rohatec and Sudoměřice, cableway used to tow boats across the Morava Rver at Vnorovy, etc. A typical "Baťa house" for the attendant was built next to each lock. The remains of these monuments, part of which is presently under reconstruction, provide evidence of the high craftsmanship of their builders.
The reconstruction of almost the entire 52 km track has been finished by now, with 13 locks being put in working order, which allows using the waterway for cargo transport and for recreational boating between Otrokovice and Petrov, or Skalice in Slovakia. Tourists can use 8 ports and 16 landing places. With the construction of the port in Skalice, Slovakia, the Baťa Canal became an international waterway. The reconstruction project is planned to continue until the waterway reaches Hodonín and Kroměříž (so-called Athens of the Haná Region).
The designers of the Danube-Oder-Labe waterway have also relied on using Baťa Canal´s river sections navigable by larger ships. The Baťa Canal would remain open for local transport, and at the same time would be linked to the European waterway network.

From Czech Republic Post:
Czech Republic 2012 10K sg?, scott?

DANISH PILOT SERVICE 300th YEAR.

Denmark issued in 1984 one stamp for the 300th Anniversary of the Pilot Service, the stamp shows a pilot cutter under sail of which I have not any details.

On 08 March 1684 King Christian V presented by Royal Resolution In Dragör, that six pilots has to be appointed knowing the Danish channels which had to accompany the Danish fleet or warships of the King through the channel between Amager and Saltholm (Øresund or Sound)

Pilots were already known in Denmark from 1561, but by the Royal Resolution of 1684 that 6 pilots were appointed the actual pilot system was born in Denmark.

Pilots are used by the captains of ships in not well known waters or ports and canals, most countries have made the pilotage of ships compulsory by approaching their ports.

Much more info is given on ship pilots by Wikipedia see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_pilot

Source: PTT Denmark and internet.
Denmark 1984 2.70 Kr sg774, scott
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Douglas 1

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Douglas 1

Postby shipstamps » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 pm


Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size
Built in 1858, this steamer was the fastest then afloat and had the unusual distinction of serving on both sides during the American Civil War. In 1862 she was sold to agents for the Confederate States of America and made eighteen blockade-running trips under the name 'Margaret and Jessie' before being captured and sold to the Federal Navy. She was commissioned as U.S.S. Gettysburg and shared in the capture of five Confederate runners.
This label depicts the first Douglas of the company which introduced straight stems to the fleet. In other respects she was a startling contrast to her predecessors in that she was exceptionally long and narrow-gutted. On trial her speed was17.25 knots, and she usually made the run between Liverpool and Douglas in about 4 hrs. 20 min. and also was reputedly the fastest steamer afloat at that time.
In 1862 she was acquired by Fraser, Trenholm and Company, Confederate Agents, for the purpose of running the Federal blockade in the American Civil War. Painted grey and rechristened Margaret and Jessie she had a most successful career until driven ashore at Nassau, in the Bahamas, by the Federal ship Rhode Island in June 1863. The engines of the Douglas were to be seen on Nassau beach for over 80 years after the incident. This vessel was also the first 2-funnelled steamer built for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and was the last built for the line by Robert Napier. She was a ship of 700 gross tons on dimensions: 205 ft. (b.p.) x 26 ft. x 14 ft. and was completed in 1858.

SG171 IOM Post Office and Sea Breezes 7/54
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Douglas 1

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Built as a paddle steamer by Robert Napier & Co. at Glasgow for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Ltd.
28 May 1858 launched under the name DOUGLAS (I)
Tonnage 700 ton gross, dim. 205.0 x 26.0 x 14.0ft.
Side lever steam engine hp? Speed during trials 17¼ knots.
She was the first steamer of the company with an upright stem.
Building cost £17.500, plus KING ORRY built in 1842, in part exchange.

After completing used in the ferry service between Liverpool and Douglas.
Her fastest crossing between these two ports was in 4 hours and 20 minutes.
After 4 years service for the company she was sold, nominally to Cunard Wilson & Co., but really to Fraser, Trenholm & Co., the American Confederate Agents. She was sold for £24.000.

Painted gray and renamed MARGARET AND JESSIE and used for the blockade running during the Civil War in America. She was then owned by John Fraser and Company at Charleston, and under command of Capt. William Wilson, she made four voyages between Nassau and Charleston.
13 Feb. 1863, she sailed for her first voyage from Charleston, and returned on 24 March from Nassau.
06 April sailed out again to Nassau and returned on 20 May.
31 May sailed out again to Nassau.
The Union cruiser RHODE ISLAND chased her then, and she ran aground off Eleuthera

The following comes from the newspaper Nassau Guardian of 3 June 1863.

We have to record this evening an other unjustifiable outrage committed by a Federal gunboat within the prescribed limits of our shores. On Saturday last the MARGARET AND JESSIE under Capt. Wilson, from Charleston for this port, was fallen in with by the federal steamer RHODE ISLAND off Abaco, and chased till she arrived close to the shore of Jennes Point, Eleuthera.
There would be no legal cause of complaint had the pursuit and firing ceased as soon as the MARGARET AND JESSIE approached within the distance of three miles from the land; but as she neared the coast, and was only 20 yards of, that is between the reef and the land, the gunboat, which was not more than from a quarter to a half-a-mile distant, commenced pouring in broadside after broadside, varying the performance with shot, grape and shell- not only to the imminent danger of all on board (and there were ladies among the passengers), but to serious alarm of the inhabitants of the Island, who suddenly found themselves subjected to a sharp and decisive bombardment. The missiles fired from the RHODE ISLAND ploughed up the earth in various directions, and came in close proximity to, it not actually passing through, dwellings, and drove people to seek refuge between rocks and other protections. This was kept up for miles, and at length the MAGARET AND JESSIE received a shot through her boiler, and another through her bows, which forced her to take the beach, then only fifty yards distant.

Some day later she was refloated and arrived at Nassau, after repair sailed out again for Charleston where she arrived on 16 June.

She was then sold to the Import and Export Company, and came under the command of Capt. Robert Lockwood, and continued her career in blockade running until captured by the US Federal Navy.

07 July, sailed again out for Nassau and returned, (date not given.) Her last voyage from Charleston was when she sailed again in July (not a date given) from that port.
When she was trying to enter Wilmington, the FULTON, KEYSTONE STATE and NANSEMOND off Wilmington, N.C, captured her on 5 Nov. 1863.
She was purchased from the New York Prize Court by the Federal Navy and commissioned GETTYSBURG at the New York Navy Yard on 2 May 1864. She was named of the southern USA Pennsylvania, site of one of the most important battles of the Civil War 1 – 3 July 1863. It was at the dedication of the National Cemetery on the battleground 19 November 1863 that President Lincoln delivered his immortal Gettysburg Address.
She came under command of Lieutenant Roswell H. Lamson.
She is then given with a tonnage of 950 tons, dim. 221 x 26.3 x 13.6ft. Speed 15 knots.
Crew 96.
Armament 1 – 30 pdr. Parrott, 2 – 12 pdr. guns and 4 – 24 pdrs howitzer.

A fast strong steamer, GETTYSBURG was assigned blockading duty with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and departed New York 7 May 1864. She arrived at Beaufort, N.C. 14 May and from there took station at the entrance to the Cape Fear River.

For the next 7 months, Gettysburg was engaged in the vital business of capturing blockade-runners carrying supplies to the strangling South. She captured several ships, and occasionally performed other duties. On 8 October, for instance, she rescued six survivors from schooner HORNE, which had capsized in a squall.

GETTYSBURG took part in the attack on Fort Fisher 24-25 December 1864. Gettysburg assisted with the devastating bombardment prior to the landings by Army troops, and during the actual landings stood close to shore to furnish cover for the assault. GETTYSBURG’s boats were used to help transport troops to the beaches.

With the failure of the first attack on the formidable Confederate works; plans were laid for a second assault, this time including a landing force of sailors and marines to assault the sea face of the fort. In this attack, 15 January 1865, Gettysburg again engaged the fort in the preliminary bombardment, and furnished a detachment of sailors under Lieutenant Lamson and other officers in a gallant assault, which was stopped under very ramparts of Forth Fisher. Lamson and a group of officers and men were forced to spend the night in a ditch under Confederate guns before they could escape. Through failing to take the sea face of Fort Fisher, the attack by the Navy diverted enough of the defenders to make the Army assault successful and insure victory. Gettysburg suffered two men killed and six wounded in the assault.

GETTYSBURG spent the remaining months of the war on blockade duty off Wilmington, and operated from April to June between Boston and Norfolk carrying freight and passengers. She decommissioned 23 June 1865 at New York Navy Yard.

Recommissioning 3 December 1866, GETTYSBURG made a cruise to the Caribbean Sea, returning to Washington on 18 February, where she decommissioned again 1 March 1867.

GETTYSBURG went back in commission 3 March 1868 at Norfolk and put to sea 28 March on special service in the Caribbean. Until July 1868, she visited various ports in the area, protecting American interests, among them Kingston, Jamaica; Havana, Cuba; and ports of Haiti. Between 3 July and 13 August GETTYSBURG assisted in the laying of a telegraph cable from Key West to Havana, and joined with scientists from the Hydrographic Office in a cruise to determine the longitudes of West Indian points using electric telegraph. From 13 August 1868 to 1 October 1869, she cruised between various Haitian ports and Key West, again helping to maintain peace in the area and protecting American interests. GETTYSBURG arrived New York Navy Yard 8 October 1869, decommissioned the same day, and entered the yard for repairs.

GETTYSBURG was laid up in ordinary until 6 November 1873, when she again commissioned at Washington Navy Yard. She spent several months transporting men and supplies to the various Navy yards on the Atlantic coast and on 25 February 1874 anchored in Pensacola harbour to embark members of the survey team seeking routes for an inter-oceanic canal in Nicaragua. GETTYSBURG transported the engineers to Aspinwall, panama and Greystone, Nicaragua, and returned them to Norfolk 10 May 1874. After several more trips on the Atlantic coast with passengers and supplies, the ship again decommissioned 9 April 1875 at Washington Navy yard.

Recommissioned 21 September 1875, GETTYSBURG departed Washington for Norfolk, where she arrived 14 October. Assigned to assist in another of the important Hydrographic Office expeditions in the Caribbean, she departed Norfolk 7 November. During the next few months she contributed markedly to safe navigation in the West Indies in surveys that led to precise charts. She returned to Washington with the scientific team 14 June, decommissioning 26 June.

GETTYSBURG recommissioned 20 September 1876, for special duty to the Mediterranean, where she was to obtain navigational information about the coast and islands of the area. GETTYSBURG departed Norfolk 17 October for Europe. During the next two years, she visited nearly every port in the Mediterranean, taking soundings and making observations on the southern coast of France, the entire coastline of Italy, and the Adriatic Islands. GETTYSBURG continued to the coast of Turkey, and from there made soundings on the coast of Egypt and other North African points, Sicily and Sardinia.

While visiting Genoa, 22 April 1879, GETTYSBURG rescued the crew of a small vessel which had run upon the rocks outside the breakwater. Her iron plates corroded from years of almost uninterrupted service and her machinery weakened. GETTYSBURG decommissioned 06 May 1879 and she was sold on 8 May 1879. Later that year scrapped at Naples.


Sources: West Coast Steamers by Duckworth and Langmuir. Charleston’s Maritime Heritage 1670-1865 by P.C.Coker III. Log Book Volume 9 page 156.
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook ... 4/ch03.htm



.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5660
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 69 guests