GREEK BIREME

The Greek bireme was an oared warship with two rows of oars on each side. It was a revolutionary invention by (possibly the Biotian Greeks since the Trojan War or more probable their settlers, the Erythraeans in Asia Minor in the 8th century B.C.) which doubled the motion force of the ship without increasing its length. This was an important advantage in pirate persecutions and in the ramming of opponents. She was fitted out with a bow ram
Steering was achieved with the two big oars. Place on both sides near the stern. Complementarily, it had a large square sail with many pulleys for its unencumbered handling. During fighting the sail was furled. It usually had 100 oars ("ekatontoros"). Its dimensions reached length 32 and beam 4.80 metres respectively.
Sometimes it had a deck for the protection of the oarsmen and the facile transport of the warriors.

SOURCES: "The History of the Greek Nation, Ekdotiki Athens", "Dellopoulos, The Greek Trireme", "Deligiannis Pericles, Naval History", "Homer, Iliad", "Aelianos Taktikos, Tactic theory".
Vietnam 1986 1d sg988, scott 1686.
$post_attachment_names[$j]

Brutus

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Brutus

Postby shipstamps » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:18 am

197.jpg
197.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Click image to view full size
Built as a steel 3 masted ship rigged cargo vessel under yard No 7k by J.Reid & Company, Glasgow for the Sierra Shipping Company (Thompson, Anderson & Co.), Liverpool.
03 November 1883 launched under the name SIERRA PEDROSA.
Tonnage 1.686 grt, 1.542 net, dim. 249.0 x 38.10 x 23.6ft.
After completing used in the service between Liverpool and Rangoon. She was a pretty looking white painted hulled sailing ship.
30 July 1889 she grounded in Table Bay, South Africa, she was refloated she is still mentioned in Mystic Seaport database till 1900, under the name SIERRA PEDROSA, first under Capt. D. Lyon till 1894 and then under command of Capt. W.J.Starke till 1900.
Visiting for the last time San Francisco January 1896.
14 August 1902 stranded at Blaauwberg Strand or North of Salt River mount, Table Bay, (at that time she is given as barque rigged) sold and thereafter refitted in a coal hulk, and renamed BRUTUS.
Loaded with coal she was towed by four (or two) whale catchers to South Georgia around 1912.
For many years she lay near the whaling station in Prince Olaf Harbour as a coaling hulk.
When the whaling station closed in 1931 she was abandoned, and slowly she deteriorated, and during a gale she was blown onshore.
2008 She lays partly submerged near Pig Point, Brutus Island in Prince Olav Harbour, Brutus Island is named after the vessel.
Source: The last of the Windjammers by Basil Lubbock. Some web-sites. Auke Palmhof
S Georgia and Sandwich Is SG197
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 99 guests