Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

St Patrick (1906)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

St Patrick (1906)

Postby shipstamps » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:53 pm

St Patrick.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a ferry under yard No 371 by J. Brown & Co. Ltd. Glasgow for the Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbour Co. London.
Launched under the name ST PATRICK and two sisters the ST DAVID and ROSSLARE.
Tonnage 2.531 gross, dim. Length 350.8. Beam 41.1 Draught 16.5ft.
Powered by Parsons direct drive steam turbines of 1.305nhp. driving triple screws giving a speed of 20 knots.
Delivered to owners in August 1906
These three ferries were specially built for the newly opened Fishguard to Rosslare route (53 miles) across the Irish Sea.
The years before, extensive construction operations had been in progress, including building of the ports and also new railway lines both at Fishguard and Rosslare.
The new service commenced 20th August 1906. She was re-engined in 1926 by her builders with a single reduction geared turbine being substituted on each of the three shafts for the original direct-drive turbines i.e. 1-H.P. and 2-L.P. turbines in all as before, but geared to the propeller shaft.
On 7th April 1929 she was damaged by fire at Fishguard, Messrs. Grayson, Rollo and Clover Docks Ltd. her machinery was transferred to the ST ANDREW in the second quarter of 1929.
Her hull was sold to T.W. Ward Ltd. and broken up at Preston.
LB 8/08
Ireland SG?
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 46 guests