Lady Rodney (Royal Mail)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
Post Reply
shipstamps
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Lady Rodney (Royal Mail)

Post by shipstamps » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:04 pm


Lady Rodney of Canadian National Steamships built by Cammell Laird and Co. Ltd., Birkenhead in 1929. The Lady Rodney entered the water on November 30, 1928, with main particulars 8,194 gross tons, 4,936 net, and dimensions 420 ft. 3 in. x 60 ft. 2 in. x 30 ft. 2 in. on a draft of 23 ft. Both ships were driven by sets of four steam turbines, geared to twin screw shafts through single-reduction gearing, the installation developing 1,094 nhp for a speed of 14 knots.
The Lady Rodney was employed on trooping service during the war, afterwards being reconditioned for the Lesser Antilles route, starting on this service in 1947. Sold in 1952, she became the Mecca of the Khedivial Mail Line. SG470

Post Reply