Lady Nelson (Royal Mail)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
Post Reply
shipstamps
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Lady Nelson (Royal Mail)

Post by shipstamps » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:03 pm

Lady Nelson built by Cammell Laird and Co. Ltd., Birkenhead, in 1928 The Lady Nelson was launched on July 17, 1928, her gross tonnage being 7,970, net 4,916 and dimensions 419 ft. 5 in. x 59 ft.1 in. x 28 ft. 2 in. on a draft of 19 ft. 111/2 in. The Lady Nelson was in Castries Harbour, St. Lucia, on March 9, 1942, when the German submarine U 161 forced an entry by firing a torpedo at the protective net and then sank the Canadian ship. She was refloated in August 1943 and converted to an hospital ship. In August 1947 she returned to her former service. In 1953 she was sold to the Khedivial Mail Line and renamed Gumhzoyat Misr, running on the Jeddah pilgrim trade. Sold again in 1960 to the United Arab Maritime Company, she became the Alwadi. Dominica SG469, Trinidad and T SG676, Gren of St Vincent SG209, Montserrat SG482
Attachments
SG676.jpg
SG469.jpg
SG209.jpg
SG482
SG482

aukepalmhof
Posts: 7439
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Lady Nelson (Royal Mail)

Post by aukepalmhof » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Built for the Canadian National Line S.S. Ltd., Halifax, Canada.

1953 Sold to Khedival Mail Line, Egypt, refitted in a pilgrim vessel at Alexandria and renamed GUMHURYAT MISR.
1960 Renamed by owners in ALWADI.
1961 Sold or transferred to United Arab Maritime Co., Egypt not renamed.
1968 Broken up in Egypt.
Attachments
tmp185.jpg
tmp186.jpg
tmp187.jpg

Post Reply