SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

TRIREME

The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?

DEPORTATION OF THE PEOPLE OF ST PIERRE et MIQUELON in 1793

The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Diana_(1794). Ivory Coast 2018;500f.

SOUTH AFRICAN PORTS

35c Walvis Bay Harbour:
This bay is on the west coast of South Africa was marked on Portuguese marine charts as early as 1487. The natural harbour was named Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicao by Bartolomeu Dias. The Territory of Walvis Bay became a British possession in 1878, and in 1884 it was incorporated into the then Cape Colony.
Walvis Bay was formerly a whaling station. Originally the bay was too shallow for use by Ocean Steamers but it has systemically dredged and the first quay for passengers and cargo vessels was opened in 1927. Walvis Bay is the centre of the important fishing industry on the west coast and also handles the exporting of minerals from Namibia.

55c East London:
East London port is situated in the mouth of the Buffalo River. In 1835 the river was surveyed for a possible harbour for longboats to carry passengers and cargo from the ships on the road to and from the harbour but it came to noting.
1847 A new attempt was made to open a port and this was also not successful.
Only when there where diamonds found in Grqualand there came sufficient money free to start again. In 1872 the first shipments with equipment arrived and after setting up a platform for the cranes the construction was started of the south breakwater.
1875 The first wharf was constructed, 1876 another and in 1877 a third wharf.
1993 The harbour has now 2.6km of quay, and several railway lines connect the port with Transvaal and other regions. The turnover in that year appr. 3 million tons and 26,000 containers a year.
In the foreground is a white hulled cargo vessel visible, most probably a reefer vessel.

70c Port Elizabeth: On 12 March 1488 Bartolomeu Dias became the first recorded Occidental to call at Bahia de Lagos as he named the bay now known as Algoa Bay. As a seaport, however, the town of Port Elizabeth owns it origin to the British settlers of 1820. After their arrival, the need for a customs post arose. In 1825 the bay was given port status with the appointment of a port master, and a year later a collector was appointed. Today, Port Elizabeth is the fifth largest cargo-handling port in South Africa. The port has more as 3,400m of quayage and a container terminal with two berths. Recently a large container-handling terminal for imported motor vehicle components was developed.

90c Cape Town Harbour: Table Bay has been used as a landing place by passing ships ever since Bartolemeu Dias rounded the Cape of Good Hope in 1488. The port grew from the refreshment station founded by Jan van Riebeeck in April 1652 for ships of the Dutch East India Company. In 1656 work was started on a wooden jetty to facilitate the landing of small boats. During World War II, Cape Town handled more than 400 convoys, saw 13,000 ships repaired, and took in about 6 million soldiers. During the Suez crises in 1973, the port handled an enormous amount of shipping. Today (1993) Cape Town handled some 4.5 million of cargo annually. There are sophisticated container handling facilities as well as two dry-docks and extensive service facilities.

Durban Harbour: In 1823 the brig SALISBURY viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10957&p=11622&hilit=salisbury#p11622 sheltered in a bay on the Natal coast during a sudden storm. Impressed by the potential of the bay, Lieutenants King and Farewell obtained a concession for a trading store on the waterfront. Thus began the history of South Africa’s busiest port. Today over 500.000 containers are handled at the container terminal annually, the largest in Africa. A large passenger terminal also provides for the needs of ocean travellers.

Source: South Africa Post and internet.
South Africa 1993 35c/R1.05 sg 772/76, scott 844/48

The Battle of “Soleil Royal” and “Britannia” in 1692

The scene in this painting depicts Soleil Royal and Britannia exchanging fire during the Battle of Barfleur in 1692. Lead by Adm. Tourvilles and sorely outnumbered, the French fleet, purportedly under order from King Louis XIV, attacked the Allied fleet, which consisted of Dutch and British ships. The battle was fierce, and in the end, the French, overwhelmed, were forced to flee, splitting into two groups. Soleil Royal, the flagship of Adm. Tourvilles, along with eleven other French ships were pressed by the Allied fleet and driven ashore at Cape La Hougue. The Allied fleet brought up their fire ships and destroyed Soleil Royal along with the other eleven French ships in the surf off la Hougue. The remainder of the French fleet, caught in the famous tidal race of Alderney, were swept to the west where they took refuge in various creeks, some driven ashore. The design stamp is made after painting of James A Flood.

Source:http://www.jamesaflood.com/soleil.html Ivory Coast 2018;2170f.

KEBIR CLASS PATROL BOAT

For the 20th Anniversary of the Algerian Coast Guard service, Algeria issued one stamp which shows a patrol boat of the Coast Guard at that time.

In 1993 only one type was in use, the Kebir-class which were replaced in 1994 by a Chinese type patrol boat.

The first three were built in the U.K. the others in Algeria. The first was built in 1982 the last in?
Displacement 250 tons, dim. 37.5 x 6.86 x 1.78m.
Powered by two diesel engines, 6,000 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament 1 – 25mm AA gun and 2 – 14.5mm MG.
Crew 27.
So far I can find 6 were in the service of the Coast Guard, the others by the Algerian Navy.

Source: Internet various sites.
Algeria 1993 2.00D sg 1123, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Dal

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Dal

Postby shipstamps » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:32 pm


Click image to view full size
Sloop built 1934. First Polish Transatlantic yacht L27’6”.B7’4”. Poland SG2305 (SB 3/75)
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Dal

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Dal-001.jpg
Click image to view full size
1926 — Lt. J. Swiechowski and Lt. A. Bohomolec, Poland; Poland.
The name DAL means distance.
She is a gaff-rigged sloop carrying one headsail, and was built in Poland in 1926. The first Polish transatlantic racing yacht, she sailed from Gdynia in 1933 with Lt. J. Swiechowski of the Polish Merchant Marine and Lt. A. Bohomolec of the Polish Cavalry in her crew, bound for the Century of Progress Exhibition in Chicago. After many months, through hurricanes and adverse weather, she reached Bermuda, then worked her way up the Atlantic Coast and finally reached Chicago in 1934. She attracted much attention as she lay in the Jackson Park Lagoon. The crew returned to Poland as heroes. The yacht remained in the United States. In 1941, DAL was moved to the Museum of Science and Industry where she was displayed in an exhibit on wind power in commerce and transportation. In 1968, the exhibit was closed, and plans were in hand to dispose of DAL. When Ireneusz Gieblewicz, the son of a Baltic fisherman and recent emigrant, heard that DAL was being offered for disposition, he appealed to the Illinois Division of the Polish American Congress for help, which was readily provided. Plans were then presented to museum officials for the restoration of DAL and its return to Poland. Due to technical difficulties, the Polish Museum of America could not accept the boat and it was eventually handed over to Gieblewicz and moved to his garage in the Chicago suburbs. With the help of a few friends, and with his own money, Gieblewicz spent many months restoring DAL for its return journey to Poland. However, his financial resources were becoming exhausted. Learning of his difficulties, television journalist Tom Korzeniowski, a grand nephew of Joseph Conrad, appealed for support to the Polish National Alliance. The Alliance agreed, and with its support, DAL departed Chicago on May 3, 1980, with Gieblewicz as her skipper, bound for the Polish Maritime Museum in Gdansk, via all the ports visited an the original 1933 voyage. DAL damaged her stern and rudder when she scraped bottom on the Buffalo run. She sailed to New York City, only to be dry-docked at the Minneford Marina in City Island. Questions about her seaworthiness led to the decision to load her aboard the freighter BRONISLAW LACHOWICZ for the trip back to Poland. She arrived in the Baltic Sea Aug. 13, 1980, but was not allowed into Gdansk because of a strike there. She was laid up in a small fishing village, and was finally permitted to enter Gdansk on Sept. 16, 1980.

Sources: Polonus Philatelic Society; WP 35:27.


She lost her mast in a cyclone. She was a "star" of the Chicago World's Fair as well as a cause of disputes between consecutive owners. Laminated with plastic many years ago, she has been waiting for conservation which would restore her original design from the 1930s.

At present, Complex Jacht, a company comprised of specialists who have renovated, among others, a sailing yacht GENERAL ZARUSKI, is conducting works on a legendary yacht "DAL". The repair of "DAL" is the first large-scale conservation undertaking since 1980 when the yacht was brought to Poland. Her renovation is being conducted under the project of construction of the Shipwreck Conservation Centre in Tczew.

Great ambitions of a small yacht
In a way, the history of "DAL" defined and marked the lives of her two owners. Andrzej Bohomolec, a Polish cavalryman, dreamt about crossing the Atlantic on a small vessel. Over a decade later, Ireneusz Gieblewicz wanted to bring "DAL" to Poland. When Bohomolec was leaving Gdynia for Chicago in summer of 1933, the possibility of crossing the Atlantic on board "DAL" for many seemed quite doubtful. After all, the yacht was an 8.5 metre sloop with a 2.15 metre beam, 1.3 metre draft, around 4.5 tonne displacement and 45 square meter sail area. Andrzej Bohomolec was accompanied by Jan Witkowski and Jerzy Świechowski, instructors from a maritime yachting centre in Gdynia.

Success in Chicago
The crossing was going according to the plan until the second half o August when "DAL" was hit by a cyclone. A broken mast caused suspension of the voyage – the yacht reached the Bermudas and, upon completion of repair and ballasting works, continued her crossing on 3rd June, 1934. The goal was to present "DAL" at the Chicago World's Fair which turned out to be her great success – this small but courageous vessel was admired for completion of such a difficult voyage. In commemoration of the Atlantic crossing conducted by "DAL", it has been decided to exhibit the yacht (which was purchased from donations of the Polish diaspora in USA) on permanent basis in the post-exhibition area in Chicago.

Destruction of the symbol
For the next few years, the yacht was moored in the exhibition area, followed by a mooring in front of the Museum of Science and Industry and a transfer to the interior part of the museum. The years which followed were marked by a gradual diminishment in the role of "DAL" as a small courageous vessel. Step by step, her history and symbolic value were being forgotten in the United States. In the late 1960s, the yacht started to be an unnecessary burden which simply occupied space in the museum area. In 1967, "DAL" was subject to eviction and was transferred back to the Polish Museum in Chicago.

Repair of "DAL"
It was then decided that the yacht will go back to Poland the same way it arrived in the United States 35 years before. Ireneusz Gieblewicz, a new owner of the yacht and a yachting enthusiast, was a driving spirit of this undertaking. Before the Atlantic crossing, Gieblewicz decided to reinforce the hull by lamination. In the 1970s, polyester glass laminate was a highly popular material due to its durability, high resistance to weather conditions and light weight which made it a perfect reinforcement for a wooden hull of "DAL". Application of laminate on wood was also a much easier operation than a time-consuming and expensive conservation of the damaged hull. In addition to lamination of the hull, masts and rigging were replaced with new ones.

Yacht-related disputes
Andrzej Bohomolec was not enthusiastic about the idea of laminating the yacht and therefore, sued the new owner of "DAL". The lawsuit between her current and previous owners delayed repair works and consequently, return of the yacht to Poland. Due to the ongoing proceedings, launching preparations took seven years. Upon completion of initial trials on Lake Michigan and participation in Chicago boat show, "DAL" headed to New York. It soon became clear that lamination of the hull was not sufficient in terms of reinforcement which would guarantee an independent and safe voyage across the Atlantic. "DAL" was in poor technical condition: lack of proper conservation throughout the years as well as poor maintenance made her independent crossing to Poland impossible.

Return to Poland
"DAL" was then decided to be shipped to Europe on board BRONISLAW LACHOWICZ– first to Bremerhaven and then, on her own keel, to Gdynia through Sweden, Szczecin and Świnoujście. "DAL" reached Poland in August 1980, the period marked by important events in the history of the Polish nation. Strikes and the Gdańsk Agreement attracted all media attention and therefore, return of the yacht, which was a symbol of Polish maritime history and incredible courage of her owners, after 47 years from the United States was left unnoticed.

"DAL" in the Museum
After the Gdańsk Agreement was reached, Ireneusz Gieblewicz contacted Przemysław Smolarek, PhD, who at that time held the position of the Museum Director – "DAL" was agreed to be moored at the Polish Maritime Museum after an official welcoming ceremony in Gdynia. The yacht had been exhibited by the Crane for four years before she was placed in a boathouse of the Academic Yacht Club in Górki Zachodnie (district of Gdańsk) in winter of 1985. Towards the end of 1995, the yacht was transferred to the museum warehouses in Tczew.

In summer of 2014, under the "Shipwreck Conservation Centre combined with Studio Warehouse in Tczew" construction project, the yacht was transported to Puck. "DAL" is planned to return to Tczew as one of the main exhibition items of the newly built department of the National Maritime Museum in Gdańsk upon completion of the repair works which will restore her original design from the 1930s.

http://www.en.nmm.pl/news/new-life-of-the-yacht-DAL
Poland 1974 1z50 sg 2305, scott2039.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5631
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 63 guests

cron