SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.

Allahabad is a city on 3 rivers.

Allahabad is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers.The name is derived from the one given to the city by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1583. The name in Indian languages generally is Ilahabad. The ancient name of the city is Prayāga (Sanskrit for "place of sacrifice") and is believed to be the spot where Brahma offered his first sacrifice after creating the world. It is one of four sites of the Kumbh Mela, the others being Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik. It has a position of importance in the Hindu religion and mythology since it is situated at the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and Hindu belief says that the invisible Sarasvati River joins here also. A city of many dimensions is what befits a description of Allahabad. In addition to being a major pilgrimage centre, the city has played an important part in the formation of modern India. Hindu mythology states that Lord Brahma, the creator god, chose a land for 'Prakrishta Yajna'. This land, at the confluence of three holy rivers - Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, blessed by gods, came to be known as 'Prayag' or 'Allahabad'. Foreseeing the sanctity of the place, Lord Brahma also called it as 'Tirth Raj' or 'King of all pilgrimage centres.' The Scriptures - Vedas and the great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata, refer to this place as Prayag. Centuries followed. Allahabad became the headquarters of North Western Provinces, after being shifted from Agra. Well preserved relics of the British impact includes the Muir College and the All Saints Cathedral. Many important events in India's struggle for freedom, took place here - the emergence of the first Indian National Congress in 1885, the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi's non-violence movement in 1920. This confluence of history, culture and religion makes Allahabad, a unique city.
India 2011;500,500; Source:http://wikimapia.org/9805493/Allahabad.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

King Orry lll

The full index of our ship stamp archive

King Orry lll

Postby shipstamps » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:49 pm

King Orry 1913.jpg
Click image to view full size
SG173.jpg
Click image to view full size
King Orry III.jpg
Click image to view full size
Scan 41.jpeg
Click image to view full size
The King Orry, (1,877 gross tons), was built in 1913 by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead and was the first ship in the Steam Packet's fleet to have geared turbines. In 1914 she was taken over as an armed boarding steamer and worked from Scapa Flow. In the latter part of the war she was adapted for battle practice work and on November 21, 1918 was the sole representative of the British Merchant Navy at the surrender of the German High Seas Fleet.
The King Orry returned to Steam Packet service in 1919, and the only event to shatter the calm routine of her peace-time service was a stranding off New Brighton on August 19, 1921. She had an extensive over¬haul in 1935 and in 1939 was converted to oil burning. Then in September 1939 she went to war again, once more as the armed boarding steamer H. M. S. King Orry.
Based at Dover she was a natural choice when ships were being sought for the Dunkirk evacuation. She sailed from Dover on May 26, 1940 and was damaged on return passage with 1,131 troops on board.
She returned to Dunkirk on May 29 and was dive-bombed and damaged approaching harbour. She was at¬tacked again while alongside the East Pier, and was ordered to return to Dover light. Soon after the King Orry had cleared the harbour entrance she sank, fortunately without loss of life. SG173 and label
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: King Orry lll

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 am

tmp31E.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp14B.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a ferry under yard No. 789 by Cammell, Laird & Co., Ltd. Birkenhead for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co. Ltd., Douglas, Isle of Man.
11 March 1913 launched under the name KING ORRY (III).
Tonnage 1.877 gross, dim. 313 x 43.1 x 16.11ft.
Powered by two geared steam turbines, 9.400 ihp, speed 20½ knots. Twin screws.
Passenger accommodation 1.600 passengers and 59 crew.
July 1913 completed.

She was the last ship built for the company before World War I and used in the ferry service between the U.K and Isle of Man.
29 October 1914 requisition by the British Navy.
Late November 1914 she was fitted out as a boarding vessel for the British Admiralty by Cammell Laird, and after completing sailed to Scapa Flow. Armament 1 – 4inch gun.
Used from there as patrol boarding vessel, putting prize crews aboard when necessary, she patrolled to the border of the German minefields off Helgoland.
After the Battle of Jutland was she used for target towing for gunnery practice.
During 1916 she was disguised as a peaceful trader and renamed in VIKING ORRY, she patrolled off the Norway coast and intercepted ships carrying contraband to Germany.
After the German fleet surrendered at Scapa Flow on 21 November 1918, she was the only merchant ship which took part in the capitulation ceremony.
28 January 1919 she went back to her owners. (When she got her old name back I could not find out.)

The only mishap in her career after the war was when she stranded near Rock Lighthouse, New Brighton when entering the Mersey on 19 August 1921. She was later refloated without any damage.
1934 She was extensively overhauled.
1939 Fitted out from coal to oil burning.
25 August 1939 requisitioned by the Royal Navy as a boarding vessel.
27 September 1939 commissioned and assigned to the Dover Command, Royal Navy crewed.
22 May 1940 taken of her duties and put standby for the Dunkirk evacuation.
She made one voyage with troops from Dunkirk. Landed 27 May, 1.139 troops at Dover, when off Calais that voyage she was hit by fire from the shore batteries; she was damaged and got some casualties.
29 May late in the afternoon she returned to Dunkirk, survived and air attack from a dive-bomber, but then e new attack took place, which put her steering gear out of action, and all instruments on the bridge, were shattered. She collided with the pier but was able to berth. After darkness some temporary repairs were made, heavily damaged, and needing the berth, she was ordered to sail, she left after midnight and got free of the harbour entrance. Then she got a heavy list to starboard, and her engine room flooded, she was abandoned and shortly after two in the morning of 30 May 1940 she sank just north of the port, all crew were saved by nearby vessels.

Isle of Man 2010 £1.50 sg?, scott? (the vessel in the backgrownd is the ferry TYNWALD (IV))

Sources: Register of Merchant vessels completed in 1913. Island Lifeline by Connery Chappell.
B.E.F Ships before, at and after Dunkirk by John de S. Winser. Short Sea Long War by John de S. Winser.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 71 guests