Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

Lady McLeod

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Lady McLeod

Postby shipstamps » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:47 pm


Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size
To commemorate the 125th anniversary of Trinidad's first adhesive stamp, known to all philatelists as the Lady McLeod, the Post Office of Trinidad and Tobago has issued three stamps, all depicting the first stamp issue of Trinidad. It was a shipping company's stamp, and the Lady McLeod was put into service between Port of Spain and San Fernando. In November, 1846, the ship was sold to David Bryce, who announced on April 16, 1847, that letters must be prepaid by stamps, which were issued on April 24, 1847 at 5 cents each or $4 a hundred. Ernest Argyle gave the full story of the early postal service in Sea Breezes (January 1950). The Lady McLeod was named after the wife of the then Governor of Trinidad, Sir Henry McLeod, and the monogram at the foot of the stamp is confirmation of the identity of the ship. Her details were as follows: built at Govan, by Robert Napier, September 1845. One deck, square stern. Clencher built of iron. Woman's bust figurehead. Paddle-wheeler. Dimensions: 109 ft. 2 in. x 13 ft. 5 in. x 6 ft. 2 in. Engine-room 19 ft. 8 in. Tonnage: total 67. The ship was broken up in 1854. SG413/5
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 78 guests