Built by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg, for Hamburg-South America Line. Fitted out for her maiden voyage when war broke out in 1914. It was decided to arm her as a merchant raider under the name of Vineta but the plan was scrapped and she was decommissioned and reverted to her original name. After hostilities she was allocated to USA for reparations, but was transferred to Britain to be managed by P&O. However, she was handed over to Union Castle and painted in the Company's colours. She was not a success and only made one voyage to South Africa for Union Castle. The company gave her back to the Shipping Controller and P&O were again given her to manage but her performance proved unsatisfactory. She was eventually sold back by the Government to her original owners. For a time she was used for cruising and in 1933 became a floating exhibition hall and then laid up for two years before being sold for scrap in 1935.
Germany SG529B Ghana SG2685
The full index of our ship stamp archive
2 posts • Page 1 of 1