Victoria (Barque)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
shipstamps

Victoria (Barque)

Post by shipstamps » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Navicula gives for this bark: She is designed after a painting of Eduard Adam (1847-1929) but reverse showed on the stamp, the painting is in the Nat. Maritime Museum, Greenwich.
The owner’s flag has the letters R P & Co., the signal flags, given on the painting, but not visible on the stamp N M and two signs not readable.

The name VICTORIA was a very common shipsname at that time. But one VICTORIA was owned by Richards & Co. (R.P.& Co.) She was built in 1874. Maybe she is the vessel.

Built as a wooden barque by Wm. Richards, Prince Edward Island for Wm.Richards, Bideford Prince Edward Island.
Launched under the name VICTORIA.
Tonnage 773 gross, 748 net, dim. 169.9 x 34.6 x 19.3ft.
She was built of spruce, yellow pine and hard wood, copper- and iron fastened
July 1874 completed.
Register port Charlottetown, P.E.I.

She was managed by T.P.Richards, Gloucester House at Swansea. T.P. Richards commenced trading in the 1870’s with Canadian built sailing vessels, he purchased a couple of steamers in 1876 and 1877 and an other in 1884. By 1904 he had sold his steamers and reverted to sailing vessels.
The vessels were employed on “coal out and whatever available home” basis. In other words a tramp company.

1905 Was she under the flag of Norway, I think still under the name VICTORIA, I do not have the owners under Norwegian flag.
She does not appear under the name VICTORIA in Lloyds Registered of 1910.

Source: Enzyklopadie der maritimen motive, Navicula. Wooden ships and Iron Men by Frederick William Wallace. Info received from Mr. John D. Stevenson.
Navicula gives for this bark: She is designed after a painting of Eduard Adam (1847-1929) but reverse showed on the stamp, the painting is in the Nat. Maritime Museum, Greenwich. The owner’s flag has the letters R P & Co., the signal flags, given on the painting, but not visible on the stamp N M and two signs not readable. The name VICTORIA was a very common shipsname at that time. But one VICTORIA was owned by Richards & Co. (R.P.& Co.) She was built in 1874. Maybe she is the vessel. Built as a wooden barque by Wm. Richards, Prince Edward Island for Wm.Richards, Bideford Prince Edward Island. Launched under the name VICTORIA. Tonnage 773 gross, 748 net, dim. 169.9 x 34.6 x 19.3ft. She was built of spruce, yellow pine and hard wood, copper- and iron fastened July 1874 completed. Register port Charlottetown, P.E.I. She was managed by T.P.Richards, Gloucester House at Swansea. T.P. Richards commenced trading in the 1870’s with Canadian built sailing vessels, he purchased a couple of steamers in 1876 and 1877 and an other in 1884. By 1904 he had sold his steamers and reverted to sailing vessels. The vessels were employed on “coal out and whatever available home” basis. In other words a tramp company. 1905 Was she under the flag of Norway, I think still under the name VICTORIA, I do not have the owners under Norwegian flag. She does not appear under the name VICTORIA in Lloyds Registered of 1910. Source: Enzyklopadie der maritimen motive, Navicula. Wooden ships and Iron Men by Frederick William Wallace. Info received from Mr. John D. Stevenson.
palmhof@xtra.co.nz
Auke
http://

Turks and Caicos SG906MS
Attachments
SG906MS.jpg