Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

Vistafjord

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Vistafjord

Postby shipstamps » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 pm

sg10601.jpg
Click image to view full size
SG561.jpg
Click image to view full size
SG836.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built under yard no 39 as a cruise-vessel by the yard of Swan Hunter Shipbuilders Ltd., Wallsend, U.K. for Sameiet Vistafjord, managers the Norske Amerikalinje A/S at Oslo.
15 May 1972 launched under the name VISTAFJORD. (The third vessel under that name by the company)
Tonnage 24.292 gross, 12.771 net, 5.954 dwt, dim. 191.1 x 25.05 x 16.77m. Length between pp 167.67m, draught 8.23m.
Powered by two 9cyl. 2S.C.SA Sulzer-Bros-G diesel engines, manufactured by G Clark &N.E.M, Ltd., Wallsend-on Tyne, 17.900 kW. (24.000 bhp), speed 20 knots. Twin fixed-pitch propellers. Bow thrusters and Denny Brown stabilizers.
Passenger accommodation for 670 passengers, crew 390.
06 April 1973 trials. 15 May 1973 delivered to owners.

She sailed for her maiden voyage from Oslo on 22 May 1973, bound for New York. After arrival New York used for worldwide cruise voyages.
May 1980 the K/S Norwegian American Cruises A/S, Oslo was founded, and the VISTAFJORD was transferred to this new company on 01 Jan. 1981, managers Leif Høegh & Co. A/S. One of the shareholders in the new founded company was Leif Høegh with 10% of the shares, December that year he bought the other 90%.
She became very famous in Germany that year as her leading part in a new German T.V. show ‘Traumschiff’ (Dreamship).
1983 Owners re-styled K/S Norwegian America Line Cruises A/S,
1984 Bought together with her sistership the SAGAFJORD by the Cunard Line Ltd.; the Cunard bought also the names and the goodwill of both ships. Later that year she got the funnel colors of the Cunard Group. (as seen on the Tristan da Cunha stamp) Her register was changed to Nassau on the Bahamas.
Feb. 1987 she visited the America Cup races at Fremantle.
1993 Transferred to the Cunard Steam-Ship Co. p.l.c. (Cunard Line Ltd., managers.
1995 Gross tonnage increased to 24.492 gross.
10 Dec. 1999 after an extensive refurbishment at the Lloyd Werft at Bremerhaven G.m.b.H. was she renamed in CARONIA.
Sailing under British register and flag, with accommodation for 665 passengers, 379 crew.
2004 Sold to Saga Shipping Co. Nassau, Bahamas, will be renamed SAGA RUBY on 1 November 2004.
Will sail first to a yard for a refurbishment.
.Owner Saga Shipping. And managed by Saga Cruises both in Folkestone, United Kingdom.
2004 Transferred to Acromas Shipping Ltd. Folkestone, UK.

http://www.equasis.org gives for 2009 :IMO No. 7214715, same owner and managed also by Acromas Shipping Ltd.

Grenada 1976 25c sg 836, scott 771
St Lucia 1991 50c sg MS1060, scott 976. $5 sg 1064, scott 980. Tristan SG561

Sources: Marine News. Blauwe Wimpel. Some web-sites. Norwegian America Line 1910-1995 by Bjørn Pedersen and F.W. Hawks.

Auke Palmhof.

Comment by Auke — March 30, 2009 @ 9:00 pm |Edit This
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Vistafjord

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:51 am

tmp66B.jpg
Click image to view full size
Image (69).jpg
Click image to view full size
She is the vessel in the foreground of the stamp along the Geest banana quay.
Isle of Man 2000 22p sg901, scott? (2000 was she sailing under the name CARONIA.)
Last edited by aukepalmhof on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Vistafjord

Postby ibiscus1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:11 am

The Vistafjord also appears as a silhouette on Grenada 1976 SG MS840
I believe it also appears on and Aerogram of 1992 from St Lucia but I have not seen it.

The Vistafjord appears as Caronia on
Ascension 2004 SG912
Isle of Man 2000 SG 901

and as Saga Ruby
Gibraltar 2006 SG 1181 and MS 1183

Stewart Wilson
Ibiscus
ibiscus1
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Vistafjord

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:28 pm

oasia in penang.jpg
Click image to view full size
2010 sold to Acromas Shipping Ltd., Folkstone, under Maltese flag.
02-2014 sold to Fleetpro Ocean, Miami, Florida, renamed OASIA, hotel ship in Yangon, Myanmar.
Internet.
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Vistafjord

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 pm

She was broken up at Alang, India. Work commenced on 12 April 2017 by Malvi Shipbreaking Co,

Source: Miramar
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 62 guests

cron