Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?


The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source: Ivory Coast 2018;500f.


35c Walvis Bay Harbour:
This bay is on the west coast of South Africa was marked on Portuguese marine charts as early as 1487. The natural harbour was named Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicao by Bartolomeu Dias. The Territory of Walvis Bay became a British possession in 1878, and in 1884 it was incorporated into the then Cape Colony.
Walvis Bay was formerly a whaling station. Originally the bay was too shallow for use by Ocean Steamers but it has systemically dredged and the first quay for passengers and cargo vessels was opened in 1927. Walvis Bay is the centre of the important fishing industry on the west coast and also handles the exporting of minerals from Namibia.

55c East London:
East London port is situated in the mouth of the Buffalo River. In 1835 the river was surveyed for a possible harbour for longboats to carry passengers and cargo from the ships on the road to and from the harbour but it came to noting.
1847 A new attempt was made to open a port and this was also not successful.
Only when there where diamonds found in Grqualand there came sufficient money free to start again. In 1872 the first shipments with equipment arrived and after setting up a platform for the cranes the construction was started of the south breakwater.
1875 The first wharf was constructed, 1876 another and in 1877 a third wharf.
1993 The harbour has now 2.6km of quay, and several railway lines connect the port with Transvaal and other regions. The turnover in that year appr. 3 million tons and 26,000 containers a year.
In the foreground is a white hulled cargo vessel visible, most probably a reefer vessel.

70c Port Elizabeth: On 12 March 1488 Bartolomeu Dias became the first recorded Occidental to call at Bahia de Lagos as he named the bay now known as Algoa Bay. As a seaport, however, the town of Port Elizabeth owns it origin to the British settlers of 1820. After their arrival, the need for a customs post arose. In 1825 the bay was given port status with the appointment of a port master, and a year later a collector was appointed. Today, Port Elizabeth is the fifth largest cargo-handling port in South Africa. The port has more as 3,400m of quayage and a container terminal with two berths. Recently a large container-handling terminal for imported motor vehicle components was developed.

90c Cape Town Harbour: Table Bay has been used as a landing place by passing ships ever since Bartolemeu Dias rounded the Cape of Good Hope in 1488. The port grew from the refreshment station founded by Jan van Riebeeck in April 1652 for ships of the Dutch East India Company. In 1656 work was started on a wooden jetty to facilitate the landing of small boats. During World War II, Cape Town handled more than 400 convoys, saw 13,000 ships repaired, and took in about 6 million soldiers. During the Suez crises in 1973, the port handled an enormous amount of shipping. Today (1993) Cape Town handled some 4.5 million of cargo annually. There are sophisticated container handling facilities as well as two dry-docks and extensive service facilities.

Durban Harbour: In 1823 the brig SALISBURY viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10957&p=11622&hilit=salisbury#p11622 sheltered in a bay on the Natal coast during a sudden storm. Impressed by the potential of the bay, Lieutenants King and Farewell obtained a concession for a trading store on the waterfront. Thus began the history of South Africa’s busiest port. Today over 500.000 containers are handled at the container terminal annually, the largest in Africa. A large passenger terminal also provides for the needs of ocean travellers.

Source: South Africa Post and internet.
South Africa 1993 35c/R1.05 sg 772/76, scott 844/48

The Battle of “Soleil Royal” and “Britannia” in 1692

The scene in this painting depicts Soleil Royal and Britannia exchanging fire during the Battle of Barfleur in 1692. Lead by Adm. Tourvilles and sorely outnumbered, the French fleet, purportedly under order from King Louis XIV, attacked the Allied fleet, which consisted of Dutch and British ships. The battle was fierce, and in the end, the French, overwhelmed, were forced to flee, splitting into two groups. Soleil Royal, the flagship of Adm. Tourvilles, along with eleven other French ships were pressed by the Allied fleet and driven ashore at Cape La Hougue. The Allied fleet brought up their fire ships and destroyed Soleil Royal along with the other eleven French ships in the surf off la Hougue. The remainder of the French fleet, caught in the famous tidal race of Alderney, were swept to the west where they took refuge in various creeks, some driven ashore. The design stamp is made after painting of James A Flood.

Source: Ivory Coast 2018;2170f.


For the 20th Anniversary of the Algerian Coast Guard service, Algeria issued one stamp which shows a patrol boat of the Coast Guard at that time.

In 1993 only one type was in use, the Kebir-class which were replaced in 1994 by a Chinese type patrol boat.

The first three were built in the U.K. the others in Algeria. The first was built in 1982 the last in?
Displacement 250 tons, dim. 37.5 x 6.86 x 1.78m.
Powered by two diesel engines, 6,000 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament 1 – 25mm AA gun and 2 – 14.5mm MG.
Crew 27.
So far I can find 6 were in the service of the Coast Guard, the others by the Algerian Navy.

Source: Internet various sites.
Algeria 1993 2.00D sg 1123, scott?


The full index of our ship stamp archive


Postby john sefton » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Click image to view full size
To commemorate the 50th anniversary marking the debut of the pioneer motorship Selandia, a special stamp of 60 I, A ore denomination blue in colour from a design by Rasmus
Nellemann, a well-known marine artist, was issued by the Danish Post Office on June 14th, 1962.
The Selandia, a highly successful vessel, was in many ways far ahead of her time. She was launched at the Rifshaleoen Shipyard of Burmeister and Wain, Copenhagen, in the autumn of 1911. Burmeister and Wain had begun experimenting with oil engines in 1898 and entered on production in 1904 when 10 engines were built, with outputs varying between 8 and 100 h.p.intended for stationary application. They found a ready market and production increased year by year. Marine oil engines for ocean-going vessels followed gradually.
N. B. Anderson, founder of the East Asiatic Company, who foresaw that the oil engine would revolutionise the shipping industry, strongly encouraged the shipbuilders, signing a contract with Burmeister and Wain an December 5, 1910, for the construction of the Selandia, the world's first large cargo-passenger motorship. Her trials were completed on February 15, 1912 and she was delivered to the East Asiatic Company two days later.
After the ship was taken over her owners made a number of short passages up the Sound with members of the Royal House of Denmark, diplomats, members of the Danish Parliament and other celebrities. They must have been greatly impressed with her attractive passenger accommodation all of which was located in the forward bridge structure and comprised nine cabins on the shelter deck, with two small cabins on the promenade deck, with bathrooms.
The drawing room and dining saloon were on the shelter deck, on the centre line, flanked by the cabins. From within, the dining room resembled an elegant salon of the type belonging to a large private house, with curtained windows and a large oval table in the centre. The apartment opened through an attractive entrance into the drawing room ; on the deck above was a very comfortable smoking room.
The ship's maiden voyage to Bangkok, via London, began or February 22, 1912. She made a call at None Sundby, in Jutland, to load cement and left Denmark on February 24, arriving at the West India Docks on February 2T This was specially arranged so that British marine engineers, naval architects, and Admiralty officials could view her novel machinery. Among those entertained on board were the then Mr. Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty, the First Sea Lord, and the Second Sea Lord—at the time Prince Louis of Battenberg. Leaving London, the Selandia ran on the East Asiatic Company's normal service, calling at La Rochelle, Port Said, Colombo, Penang, and Singapore before going to Bangkok. On the normal service she called at Antwerp and Southampton then went to La Rochelle.
The Selandia remained in the East Asiatic Company's service until November 1936, retaining the_ original engines, when she was sold to the Norseman Steamship Company of-Panama City and renamed Norseman. After severe hull damage in 1938 she was laid-up because the repair bill was considered excessive, considering her age. In October 1940 she was bought by the Finland-Amerika Line, a subsidiary of Finska Angfartygs Aktiebolaget of Helsinki, Finland, and renamed Tornator. She went into service between Petsamo and other- Finnish- ports before being chartered to the Japanese.
Leaving Petsamo with a cargo of wood- pulp on March 7, 1941, she called-at Curacao for bunkers on April 9 and thence proceeded to Yokohama, arriving there on May 27, 1941. She then traded in Far Eastern waters until January 26, 1942, when, with a pilot on board, she ran ashore at Omaisaka, on the Japanese coast. Necessary assistance could not be obtained in time and on January 30 she became a total loss.
The Selandia was an epoch-making ship. At the time of her spectacular advent in 1912 she was herself a revolution in marine propulsion. Thirty years later at the time of her loss, the motorship had become commonplace. In 1912 it was only possible to develop 1,800 horse power on her two shafts at 140 r.p.m.; today this is less than the output of a single cylinder of Burmeister and Wain's 84-VT2BF-i 80-type engine. The Selandia was also the first cargo liner to have electric deck auxiliaries. Her main engines -were two 8-cylinder 4-cycle single-acting oil engines with sea speed between 101/2 and 11 knots. She was a shelter-deck vessel with a forecastle forward, a bridge deck arrangement of unusual type divided into two parts by a short well, and a poop. Her dimensions were 370.4ft. x 53.2ft. x 72.Ift. for a gross tonnage of 4,950, (3,163 net). Her name is perpetuated by the company's present Selandia built by Nakskov Skibsvaerft- in 1938, a considerably larger vessel, with modern refinements that were unknown to her historic predecessor.

Sea Breezes June 1962.

Denmark SG448
john sefton
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Selandia

Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 am

Click image to view full size
Maldive Islands 1997 3r sg2685, scott2226c
Posts: 5631
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 63 guests