SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.

The editor of Log book will retire this coming August and, unless a new one comes forward, the society will close.
With this in mind, we are not taking in any new members.
This is an unfortunate situation but seemingly unavoidable.
$post_attachment_names[$j]

Priwall

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Priwall

Postby john sefton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:34 pm

SG613.jpg
SG613
Click image to view full size
A 4 Masted Barque built in 1920 by Blohm & Voss in Hamburg for F Laeisz. Of Hamburg. 3,185gtns. L.323ft. B.47ft. Dr.26ft. Crew 183.
Service in the South Atlantic nitrate trade.
In 1926 she was fitted out as a cargo/training vessel for cadets.
On the outbreak of WW2. she was interned in Valparaiso and seized by Chile when she entered the War in 1941. She became the training ship LAUTARO with accommodation for 36 Officer cadets and 135 other ranks , crew and instructors.
In February 1945 while bound for Iquigue with a cargo of nitrate — fire broke out in the forward hold, she foundered under tow with the loss of 20 lives. Shown on CHILE stamps as the LAUTARO. Here on the Falklands Stamp as PRIWALL.

Information Ted Evans, Liverpool.
Falk Is SG613

See:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8123
john sefton
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Priwall - LAUTARO

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:46 pm

tmp191.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp192.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp193.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a steel hulled four-masted barque under yard No 234 by Blohm & Voss AG, Hamburg for F. Laeisz (Flying P Line), Hamburg.
23 June 1917 launched as the PRIWALL, named after the Priwall peninsula near Travemünde.
Tonnage 3,155 grt, 2,834 nrt, 4,800 dwt. Dim. 115.6 x 14.37 x 8.01m., draught 7.22m maximum.
Sail area 4,106m².
06 March 1920 in service.

Her maiden voyage she made under command of Captain Max Jürgen Heinrich Jürs and 200 men from Germany to Valparaiso to relief the internees of the van the Flying P ships interned in Chile, and returns the ships to Europe.
First she ran in the nitrate trade between Chile and Europe in which she made 13 round trips to 1931.
1926 Refitted in a cargo carrying training ship with a crew of 72 men including 45 cadets.
Tonnage 3,185 grt, 2,834 nrt.
From 1932 she sailed mostly from Australia in the wheat trade. Under Captain Robert Claus she made four round trips in this trade until 1935.
During 1933/1934 she made a record passage from the Lizard to the Spencer Gulf, Australia in 62 days.
In 1938 under command of Captain Adolf Hauth she set an other record when she circumnavigated Cape Horn from the east to the west in five days and 14 hours (50S east to 50 S west).
16 May 1939 she made her last voyage under the flying P Line flag when she left from Europe bound for Chile. 21 July she was off Cape Horn delayed by strong storms she arrived 08 August at Corral south of Valdiva.
After discharging and repair of the storm damage at the end of August she sailed for Talcahuano.
03 September 1939 she anchored off Valparaiso and was interned, while the return voyage to Europe was not possible due to the outbreak of World War II.
When there was a threat that the Allies would seizure the PRIWALL in 1941, the German Government gifted the ship to the Chilean Government on 23 May 1941. Managed by the Chilean Navy
She sailed to Alameda, California and was rebuilt there as a cargo-carrying sailing ship for the Chilean Navy.
She received an auxiliary diesel engine of 1,500 hp. and was renamed in LAUTARO, named after the Mapuche chief and freedom fighter Lautaro of the 16th century. She was the second ship in the Chilean Navy which carried this name.
Armament: 4 – 120mm, 2 – 76mm, 2 – 57mm guns and two MG.

Her hull was painted white with a black painted underwater hull, she got the nickname “el bello cisno blanco” (The beautiful white swan).
28 February 1945 loaded with saltpetre in bags on his fifth trip under Chilean flag bound for the Mexican port of Manzanillo, she got fire in hold No 1in the cargo by spontaneous combustion when in a position off Pisco, Peru, not possible to fight the fire with water the vessel was doomed, the fore and main mast went overboard and the ship got a list to starboard. It was not possible due to the war to send out a SOS by radio.
The ship was abandoned. Only three boats saved from the fire were launched.
The survivors were discovered by a PBY Catalina plane of the U.S. Navy and they directed the Argentinean ship RIO JACHAL to the location, but it took 32 hours for the men were rescued by the RIO JACHAL.
20 Sailors died of smoke inhalation, burns or at the long stay in the water before they could be rescued.
The burn out hull was later towed by the Peruvian steamer UCAYALI to Callao, Peru, but before she reached this port she sank under tow on 08 March 1945 when the damaged ship started to leak due to the hull plating opening which were weakened by the fire.

Falkland Islands 1989 2p sg613, scott?, as PRIWALL
Chile 1975 500e, 800e, 1000e sg750,754 and 758, scott? as LAUTARO

Source: Wikipedia.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5933
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anatol, Google Adsense [Bot] and 82 guests