SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

ANDERS SPARRMANN and Tahitian canoes

On this stamp of Sweden is depict a portrait of the Swedish naturalist Anders Sparrmann who made a voyage with James Cook during his second voyage in 1772. The background shows a part of a painting made by William Hodges of Matavai Bay, Tahiti and the island from the north-west, with Mount Orofena in the distance, together with Point Venus and One-Tree Hill. The scene is diffused with the light from the rising sun on the left of the painting. Various Tahitian boats can be seen in the foreground; a small outrigger sailing canoe on the far left, the coastal craft in the centre with two figures on board, and the war canoe on the far right with its dominant stern. (the war canoe is not visible on the stamp.)
Read more at http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... TGlOS4S.99

Wikipedia gives on Sparrmann:
Anders Sparrman (27 February 1748, Tensta, Uppland – 9 August 1820) was a Swedish naturalist, abolitionist and an apostle of Carl Linnaeus.
Sparrman was the son of a clergyman. At the age of nine he enrolled at Uppsala University, beginning medical studies at fourteen and becoming one of the outstanding pupils of Linnaeus. In 1765 he went on a voyage to China as ship's doctor, returning two years later and describing the animals and plants he had encountered. On this voyage he met Carl Gustaf Ekeberg.
He sailed for the Cape of Good Hope in January 1772 to take up a post as a tutor. When James Cook arrived there later in the year at the start of his second voyage, Sparrman was taken on as assistant naturalist to Johann and Georg Forster. After the voyage he returned to Cape Town in July 1775 and practiced medicine, earning enough to finance a journey into the interior. He was guided by Daniel Ferdinand Immelman, the young frontiersman who had previously guided the Swedish botanist Carl Peter Thunberg. Daniel and Sparrman reached the Great Fish River and returned in April 1776. In 1776 Sparrman returned to Sweden, where he had been awarded an honorary doctorate in his absence. He was also elected a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1777. He was appointed keeper of the natural historical collections of the Academy of Sciences in 1780, Professor of natural history and pharmacology in 1781 and assessor of the Collegium Medicum in 1790. In 1787 he took part in an expedition to West Africa, but this was not successful.
Sparrman published several works, the best known of which is his account of his travels in South Africa and with Cook, published in English as A voyage to the Cape of Good Hope, towards the Antarctic polar circle, and round the world: But chiefly into the country of the Hottentots and Caffres, from the year 1772 to 1776 (1789). He also published a Catalogue of the Museum Carlsonianum (1786–89), in which he described many of the specimens he had collected in South Africa and the South Pacific, some of which were new to science. He published an Ornithology of Sweden in 1806.
The asteroid 16646 Sparrman bears his name. The Swedish novelist Per Wästberg has written a biographical novel about Sparrman which was published in English in 2010, under the title as The Journey of Anders Sparrman. Anders Erikson Sparrman is denoted by the author abbreviation Sparrm. when citing a botanical name.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Sparrman
Sweden 1973 1k sg 746, scott 1006.

UTO LIGHTHOUSE

This stamp issued by Finland in 1946 for the 250th Anniversary of the Pilotage Authority shows us the old light tower of Uto built in 1753, on the stamp is also a sailing vessel which is not identified. The rigging looks like a schoonerbarque?

Uto is a small island in the archipelago of the Baltic Sea, Utö is the southernmost year-round inhabited island in Finland. Uto lighthouse was built upon this small island on the eastern side of the Uto inlet, which is the entrance of the channel that leads through and amongst the islands to Abo (Turku).

She was the oldest of the Finnish lighthouses and built in 1753 on Uto, also known as the main gateway to the Archipelago Sea. The Uto lighthouse was destroyed in the War of Finland 1808-1809, but was rebuilt in 1814. Subsequently, its tower has been remodelled several times.

The old tower was conical built, 30 meter high. The tower had two lights, an oil-light in the lantern on top of the tower and a coal fire outside the tower in an iron basket attached to the tower via a wooden type frame.

Source: Sailing directions for the Gulf of Finland, Navicula and internet
Finland 1946 8.00M sg 420, scott252.

KALEVALA POEM

For the 100th anniversary of the publication of the epic poem Kalevala, Finland issued three stamps in 1935 which shows on the 2,00 M stamp a type of Viking ship in which the hero of the epos Väinämöinen escaped with the “sampo”, made by the blacksmith Ilmarinen.
When the Goddess Louhi finds out that the “sampo” was stolen, she changed in an eagle, took her warriors on her back and landed on the boat of Väinämöinen (as seen on stamp), where after a battle started in which the boat sank, which took with her the “sampo”.
Plenty more on this poem you can find on the internet,

Encyclopaedia Britannica gives:
Kalevala, Finnish national epic compiled from old Finnish ballads, lyrical songs, and incantations that were a part of Finnish oral tradition.
The Kalevala was compiled by Elias Lönnrot, who published the folk material in two editions (32 cantos, 1835; enlarged into 50 cantos, 1849). Kalevala, the dwelling place of the poem’s chief characters, is a poetic name for Finland, meaning “land of heroes.” The leader of the “sons of Kaleva” is the old and wise Väinämöinen, a powerful seer with supernatural origins, who is a master of the kantele, the Finnish harplike stringed instrument. Other characters include the skilled smith Ilmarinen, one of those who forged the “lids of heaven” when the world was created; Lemminkäinen, the carefree adventurer-warrior and charmer of women; Louhi, the female ruler of Pohjola, a powerful land in the north; and the tragic hero Kullervo, who is forced by fate to be a slave from childhood.
Among the main dramas of the poem are the creation of the world and the adventurous journeys of Väinämöinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkäinen to Pohjola to woo the beautiful daughter of Louhi, during which the miraculous sampo, a mill that produces salt, meal, and gold and is a talisman of happiness and prosperity, is forged and recovered for the people of Kalevala. Although the Kalevala depicts the conditions and ideas of the pre-Christian period, the last canto seems to predict the decline of paganism: the maid Marjatta gives birth to a son who is baptized king of Karelia, and the pagan Väinämöinen makes way for him, departing from Finland without his kantele and songs.
The Kalevala is written in unrhymed octosyllabic trochees and dactyls (the Kalevala metre) and its style is characterized by alliteration, parallelism, and repetition. Besides fostering the Finnish national spirit, the poem has been translated into at least 20 languages; it has inspired many outstanding works of art, e.g., the paintings of Akseli Gallen-Kallela and the musical compositions of Jean Sibelius. The epic style and metre of the poem The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow also reflect the influence of the Kalevala.

Finland 1935 2.00M sg 307, scott 208. The painting shows the landing of Louhi on the boat, painting is made by Aksell Gallen Kallela.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

DISCOVERY HMS 1791 (Vancouver)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

DISCOVERY HMS 1791 (Vancouver)

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:48 pm

CA021.07.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp1CE.jpg
Click image to view full size
Discovery 1791 (Small).jpg
Click image to view full size
SG1303 (Small).jpg
SG1303
Click image to view full size
To celebrate the 250th anniversary of Captain Vancouver’s birth and honour his accomplishments on 22 June 2007, Canada Post issued a single international rate stamp. The stamp depict Captain George Vancouver standing by the railing of the DISCOVERY looking to the coast.

The Canada Post has the following info by the stamp.
http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/colle ... etail=2027

The first hint of Captain Vancouver’s desire to make history probably came when he was an ambitious 16 year-old seaman serving on Captain James Cook’s ship the RESOLUTION, during Cook’s second great voyage. Cook sailed with the intention of determining whether an Antarctic continent really existed by exploring the Antarctic region and the South Pacific. Just before RESOLUTION turned north after having sailed as far south as was possible, Vancouver climbed the bowsprit leaning out over the Antarctic sea toward the polar ice, and established his claim of having been “nearer the south pole than any other man”.
By his mid-twenties, he had narrowly escaped death on the island of Hawaii (the day before Captain James Cook was killed on the same island) sailed the world twice and gained his first commission.

As captain of the DISCOVERY, Vancouver is credited with undertaking the last of the great voyages of exploration embarked upon by 18th century European sailors.
During this expedition, he oversaw the return of British territory and property from the Spanish at Nootka and created the first accurate map of the northwest Pacific coast, exploring from the tip of Vancouver Island to the southern end of the Alaska panhandle. He bestowed almost 400 place names that are still used today, including the largest island on the west coast of North America and Canada’s largest west-coast city, which both carry the name Vancouver.

“The importance of Vancouver’s achievements, which went largely unnoticed until after his death, have significant bearing in today’s world,” explains stamp designer Niko Potton of Fleming Design in Vancouver.
“Despite being a long way from home and being treated poorly by the (British) Admiralty upon his return, Vancouver selflessly served his King and country by fulfilling his duty. It’s that self-sacrifice that to me is the mark of a great man with a great character. I wanted to create a design that focused on the man himself and captured the solitary and isolation position in which he found himself, geographically and personally.

The detail-oriented stamp features a solitary image of Vancouver standing onboard ship, gazing out toward the horizon. The stamp also features a stunning reproduction of Vancouver’s authenticate signature running vertical down the right-hand side of the stamp. Permission to use the signature comes courtesy of the British Columbia Archives.

Built in 1789 as a wooden merchant vessel by Randall & Co. Rotherhithe.
November 1789 bought by the British Admiralty.
Launched under the name HMS DISCOVERY.
Tonnage 330 ton (bm), dim. 99.2 x 28.3 x 12.4ft. (30.2 x 8.6 x 3.77m.)
Armament: 10 – 4pdrs. short, 10 - ½pdr. swivels.
Crew 100.
February 1791 commissioned under command of Cmdr. George Vancouver.

When trouble was brewing between Spain and Great Britain over control of lands in the Pacific Northwest in 1789, and after a favourable resolution for Great Britain was made of the Nootka Sound controversy in 1790, the English fitted out two ships the DISCOVERY and the tender CHATHAM to survey all the waters and inlets, and to look for a Northwest passage between Cape Mendocine (30ºN) and Cook Inlet (60ºN).

01 April 1791 the two ships sailed from Falmouth, and after making calls at Tenerife and Cape Town, she headed east making landfall at Cape Chatham, Australia on 28 September, made a surveys of the west coast of Australia, then Dusky Bay, New Zealand where she arrived on 02 November 1791.

Then the two ships headed for Tahiti, during bad visibility the two ships lost contact, and the CHATHAM discovered a group of islands east of New Zealand which she named after the ship Chatham Islands.

The Chatham joined the DISCOVERY again at Tahiti, and after a three week stay there together the two ships sailed to Hawaii, where she arrived early March, sailing mid-March bound for the west coast on North America. A month later the Oregon coast was sighted, where after the two ships headed north along the coast.
End April she were off the Juan de Fuca, and the two ships sailed to Discovery Bay for repairs.
From this base she explored Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands, and there they met the Spanish vessels SUTIL and MEXICANA also on a survey voyage, the relations between the British and Spanish vessels were friendly.
06 August 1792 at 4 a.m. the Discovery grounded on rocks in the Queen Charlotte’s Sound, after throwing overboard ballast, wood and water at least she got free again, without much damage.

October 1792 the DISCOVERY sailed south leaving behind the CHATHAM.
14 November 1792 she arrived at Yerba Buena now San Francisco, she was the first non-Spanish ship to sail into San Francisco Bay.
15 January 1793 she sailed from Mendocino bound for Hawaii where she arrived on 12 February, she made a survey of the islands before she headed back to the North West coast of America.
20 May she arrived at Puget Sound, the two ships surveyed the Queen Charlotte Sound including Elcho Harbour on Dean Channel, by the end of the second season, Vancouver’s expedition had charted so far 1700 miles of coast from29 56N to about 56 N.
Then she headed back to Hawaii to finish the surveys of these islands.
Then the two ships sailed back to the North American coast, shortly after departing Hawaii the two ships separated, coming together again on 06 May.
DISCOVERY in the meantime sighted Chirikof Island and proceeded to the Cook’s Inlet on 12 April, after finding out that it was not a river the DISCOVERY sailed around the Kenai Peninsula and made a survey of the Prince William Sound.
In the end of the summer season she completed surveys and charted the northern end of the Alexander Archipelago, after a call at Cape Decision on the southern end of Chichagof Island in 1793, the two ships
Sailed for California.
02 December 1794 the two ships sailed from Monterey and after calling at Maria Magdalena, Cocos Island, the Galapagos and Valparaiso before passing Cape Horn and sailing in the Atlantic, arriving 03 July 1795 at St Helena.
At St Helena they were informed that Great Britain was in War with the Netherlands and thereafter she seized the Dutch East Indiaman MACASSAR who was underway from Cape Town to the Netherlands.
The CHATHAM was dispatched to Brazil as an escort.
15 July DISCOVERY sailed from St Helena, and she arrived at Shannon on 13 September 1795.
The DICOVERY and CHATHAM arrived Deptford in October 1795.
Of her original crew only 5 men died during the five year voyage.
Thereafter laid up.
1798 Fitted out as a bomb vessel.
July 1795 re-commissioned under command of Cmdr John Dick, October 1800 relieved by Cmdr. John Conn.
October 1801 decommissioned.
June 1803 re-commissioned under Cmdr. John Joyce, relieved on June 1804 by Cmdr. Charles Pickford.
1808 Fitted out as convict ship in Sheerness.
1818 At Woolwich as convict ship.
1834 Broken up.

More on Vancouver is given on: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16035#!lightbox[gallery]/0/

Australia 1991 $1.05 sg1303, scott1226.
Canada 2007 $1.55, sg?, scott?

Source: Some web-sites. Voyages of Delusions by Glyn Williams. Ships of the World by Lincoln P.Paine.
British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5561
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: DISCOVERY HMS 1791 (Vancouver)

Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Discovery_1789_Vancouver.jpg
Click image to view full size
1988 discovery.jpg
Click image to view full size
In the 18th century, new scientific equipment allowed explorers to survey land and sea with greater accuracy than ever before. Some of George Vancouver's maps, in fact, are still in use today. Trained as map-maker under Captain James Cook, Vancouver undertook a round-the-world voyage from 1791 to 1795, covering 105,000 kilometres. He surveyed the west coast from 30o to 60o N., and was so intent on mapping the coastline that he missed the Columbia River. Nevertheless, he would eventually dispel the myth that a Northwest Passage existed at these latitudes. Artist Frederick Hagan of Newmarket, Ontario painted these four images, third in the series of Exploration stamps. Using a palette of vivid colours, he depicts the lands carted by four 18th century explorers. His imaginative backgrounds detail charts, map-making tools and the DISCOVERY, the ship Vancouver sailed on his voyage around the world.

Source: Canada Post Corporation. [Postage Stamp Press Release], 1988.
Canada 1988 37c sg 1286, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5561
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 51 guests