Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic


For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.


In 1978 Gabon issued one stamp for the Port of D’Owendo, with alongside the quay two general cargo vessels, with a lot of deck cargo under which it looks some containers, it were not real container vessels as given by Stanley Gibbons. Of the two vessels I have not any information and so far I known she are not yet identified.

Owendo is a port city in Gabon, forming a south western suburb of Libreville. It lies at the western end of the Trans-Gabon Railway, and was officially opened in 1988. But the port was already in use when the first section of the Trans Gabon Railway was opened between Owendo and Ndjolé in 1978 when the stamp was issued.

Source: wikipedia.
Gabon 1978 50F sg 650, scott 403.


The stamp shows us a Cubanian coastguard vessel with pennant No 081 of which I have not any details, more info welcome.
The inscription on the stamp gives: "Detachment Looking at the Sea".


For the 35th Anniversary of the DDR (1949-1984) the East German Post issued three stamps of which the 20p has a maritime theme, it shows us a navy ship of the East Germany Volksmarine what is given by Navicula that she is one of the Kondor II class minesweepers.

Project 89 Kondor Minesweeper, also known as the Kondor class, was a class of minesweepers designed in the German Democratic Republic which was given the NATO designation of "Condor" There were 3 versions, namely, the prototype unit, Project 89.0; the first version, Project 89.1 (NATO designation: Condor I); and the second version, Project 89.2 (NATO designation: Condor II).
The class depict on the stamp was built as Project 89.2 as minesweepers on the Peenewerft in Wolgast, East Germany between 1971 and 1973 for the Volksmarine of the DDR.
The first built was the WOLGAST and commissioned in 1971, in total 30 were built of this class. After Germany was united most were sold to a foreign country, there are still 12 in active service in 2018.
Displacement 449 ton, dim. 56.7 x 7.76 x 2.22m. (draught).
Powered by two MD 40 diesel engines each 2,490 hp, twin shafts, speed 18 kn.
Range 1,900 mile
Armament: 3 – 25mm Flak 2M-3 (AA) carried 24 mines or 24 depth charges.
Crew 30.

The WOLGAST was commissioned 20 May 1971in the Volksmarine, sold to Indonesia in 1990 and still in service by the Indonesian Navy.

Source: Wikipedia and various other web-sites.
East German 1984 20p sg?, scott2429.


East Germany issued in 1983 four stamps for the “World Communication Year1983” of which two stamps have a maritime theme.

The 10p depict the radio station Rugen on Rugen Island in the Baltic, with in the distance stylized ships. The nearest is a cargo vessel (coaster) with two holds, the vessel to the right is also a cargo vessel with four holds, while the vessel on the left looks like a supply vessel but a supply vessel has no masts on the aft-deck, it can also be a small ro-ro vessel.

The 20p shows also a stylized four hold cargo vessel.

East Germany 1983 10p and 20p sg E2488 and E2489, scott 2220/21

A 1 submarine

The full index of our ship stamp archive

A 1 submarine

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:49 pm

Click image to view full size
Built as a submarine for the Royal Navy by Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness.
19 February 1902 laid down.
1902 Launched, and named A 1.
Displacement surfaced 165 tons, length overall 100ft.
Powered by a 450hp petrol engine, 80 hp electric motor, speed 11.5 knots surfaced, 7.0 knots submerged.
Bunker capacity 7 tons.
Range 500 miles by 10 knots surfaced, 30 miles by 5 knots submerged.
Armament 1 – 18 inch bow torpedo tube.
Crew 2 officers and 9 ratings.

The A 1 was the first all British submarine, mainly designed by Captain Bacon.
She was ready in the autumn of 1903, but by delays including engine trouble and an explosion. A pocket of hydrogen gas ignited, but was it not enough to destroy the submarine, although 6 of the crew were injured.
At last was she commissioned placed under the command of Lt. L.C.O Mansergh.
After passing Lands End on her maiden voyage to Portsmouth, she developed engine trouble during bad weather. She was taken under tow. Becase of the weather she was rolling badly, and seawater entered the battery room. The A 1 filled with chlorine gas and the crew had to abandon the vessel.
The A 1 was towed to Falmouth for repair, thereafter she was towed to Portsmouth.
On arrival in Portsmouth she was moored alongside the HMS LATONA in a remot part of the harbour, so if she blew up, it would cause minimal damage.
During the last day of a fleet exercises off the Isle of Wight, the A 1 was send out to attack the HMS JUNO near the Nab Tower light.
As she closed in on her target she did not see an outgoing liner the BERWICK CASTLE, and the crew of the liner did not see her periscope. As the ship passed over her it struck the conning tower and the submarine sank with the loss of her full crew on 18th March 1904.
The captain of the liner thought that he had been struck by a practice torpedo and continued his voyage without stopping.
It was the first British submarine disaster. The conning tower did not have a second hatch so when the tower was holed the water flooded into the submarine.
After this accident all submarines have been fitted with a second hatch leading from the control room to the conning tower.

After she sank bubbles of air rose to the surface, and the exact position was known, but salvage due to bad weather was delayed. Some of the salvage vessels got wires slung under the vessel but when they took the strain the wires broke.
The conning tower and hatch were cemented in, and the cracks in the tower repaired.

She was eventually salvaged on 18th April 1904 by the Neptune Salvage Company of Stockholm. She was raised by high-pressure air being blown into the in the top of the submarine, and the sea-water being forced out through a hole in the bottom of the vessel.

23 July 1904 recommissioned after repairs .
August 1911 sunk when being used for target practice.

St Kitts 2001 $1.40 sg?, scott? And also in the margin of the MS.

Source: The British Submarine by Commander F.W. Lipscomb. Various web-sites.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improvement in the wording
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 55 guests