SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

ANDERS SPARRMANN and Tahitian canoes

On this stamp of Sweden is depict a portrait of the Swedish naturalist Anders Sparrmann who made a voyage with James Cook during his second voyage in 1772. The background shows a part of a painting made by William Hodges of Matavai Bay, Tahiti and the island from the north-west, with Mount Orofena in the distance, together with Point Venus and One-Tree Hill. The scene is diffused with the light from the rising sun on the left of the painting. Various Tahitian boats can be seen in the foreground; a small outrigger sailing canoe on the far left, the coastal craft in the centre with two figures on board, and the war canoe on the far right with its dominant stern. (the war canoe is not visible on the stamp.)
Read more at http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... TGlOS4S.99

Wikipedia gives on Sparrmann:
Anders Sparrman (27 February 1748, Tensta, Uppland – 9 August 1820) was a Swedish naturalist, abolitionist and an apostle of Carl Linnaeus.
Sparrman was the son of a clergyman. At the age of nine he enrolled at Uppsala University, beginning medical studies at fourteen and becoming one of the outstanding pupils of Linnaeus. In 1765 he went on a voyage to China as ship's doctor, returning two years later and describing the animals and plants he had encountered. On this voyage he met Carl Gustaf Ekeberg.
He sailed for the Cape of Good Hope in January 1772 to take up a post as a tutor. When James Cook arrived there later in the year at the start of his second voyage, Sparrman was taken on as assistant naturalist to Johann and Georg Forster. After the voyage he returned to Cape Town in July 1775 and practiced medicine, earning enough to finance a journey into the interior. He was guided by Daniel Ferdinand Immelman, the young frontiersman who had previously guided the Swedish botanist Carl Peter Thunberg. Daniel and Sparrman reached the Great Fish River and returned in April 1776. In 1776 Sparrman returned to Sweden, where he had been awarded an honorary doctorate in his absence. He was also elected a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1777. He was appointed keeper of the natural historical collections of the Academy of Sciences in 1780, Professor of natural history and pharmacology in 1781 and assessor of the Collegium Medicum in 1790. In 1787 he took part in an expedition to West Africa, but this was not successful.
Sparrman published several works, the best known of which is his account of his travels in South Africa and with Cook, published in English as A voyage to the Cape of Good Hope, towards the Antarctic polar circle, and round the world: But chiefly into the country of the Hottentots and Caffres, from the year 1772 to 1776 (1789). He also published a Catalogue of the Museum Carlsonianum (1786–89), in which he described many of the specimens he had collected in South Africa and the South Pacific, some of which were new to science. He published an Ornithology of Sweden in 1806.
The asteroid 16646 Sparrman bears his name. The Swedish novelist Per Wästberg has written a biographical novel about Sparrman which was published in English in 2010, under the title as The Journey of Anders Sparrman. Anders Erikson Sparrman is denoted by the author abbreviation Sparrm. when citing a botanical name.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Sparrman
Sweden 1973 1k sg 746, scott 1006.

UTO LIGHTHOUSE

This stamp issued by Finland in 1946 for the 250th Anniversary of the Pilotage Authority shows us the old light tower of Uto built in 1753, on the stamp is also a sailing vessel which is not identified. The rigging looks like a schoonerbarque?

Uto is a small island in the archipelago of the Baltic Sea, Utö is the southernmost year-round inhabited island in Finland. Uto lighthouse was built upon this small island on the eastern side of the Uto inlet, which is the entrance of the channel that leads through and amongst the islands to Abo (Turku).

She was the oldest of the Finnish lighthouses and built in 1753 on Uto, also known as the main gateway to the Archipelago Sea. The Uto lighthouse was destroyed in the War of Finland 1808-1809, but was rebuilt in 1814. Subsequently, its tower has been remodelled several times.

The old tower was conical built, 30 meter high. The tower had two lights, an oil-light in the lantern on top of the tower and a coal fire outside the tower in an iron basket attached to the tower via a wooden type frame.

Source: Sailing directions for the Gulf of Finland, Navicula and internet
Finland 1946 8.00M sg 420, scott252.

KALEVALA POEM

For the 100th anniversary of the publication of the epic poem Kalevala, Finland issued three stamps in 1935 which shows on the 2,00 M stamp a type of Viking ship in which the hero of the epos Väinämöinen escaped with the “sampo”, made by the blacksmith Ilmarinen.
When the Goddess Louhi finds out that the “sampo” was stolen, she changed in an eagle, took her warriors on her back and landed on the boat of Väinämöinen (as seen on stamp), where after a battle started in which the boat sank, which took with her the “sampo”.
Plenty more on this poem you can find on the internet,

Encyclopaedia Britannica gives:
Kalevala, Finnish national epic compiled from old Finnish ballads, lyrical songs, and incantations that were a part of Finnish oral tradition.
The Kalevala was compiled by Elias Lönnrot, who published the folk material in two editions (32 cantos, 1835; enlarged into 50 cantos, 1849). Kalevala, the dwelling place of the poem’s chief characters, is a poetic name for Finland, meaning “land of heroes.” The leader of the “sons of Kaleva” is the old and wise Väinämöinen, a powerful seer with supernatural origins, who is a master of the kantele, the Finnish harplike stringed instrument. Other characters include the skilled smith Ilmarinen, one of those who forged the “lids of heaven” when the world was created; Lemminkäinen, the carefree adventurer-warrior and charmer of women; Louhi, the female ruler of Pohjola, a powerful land in the north; and the tragic hero Kullervo, who is forced by fate to be a slave from childhood.
Among the main dramas of the poem are the creation of the world and the adventurous journeys of Väinämöinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkäinen to Pohjola to woo the beautiful daughter of Louhi, during which the miraculous sampo, a mill that produces salt, meal, and gold and is a talisman of happiness and prosperity, is forged and recovered for the people of Kalevala. Although the Kalevala depicts the conditions and ideas of the pre-Christian period, the last canto seems to predict the decline of paganism: the maid Marjatta gives birth to a son who is baptized king of Karelia, and the pagan Väinämöinen makes way for him, departing from Finland without his kantele and songs.
The Kalevala is written in unrhymed octosyllabic trochees and dactyls (the Kalevala metre) and its style is characterized by alliteration, parallelism, and repetition. Besides fostering the Finnish national spirit, the poem has been translated into at least 20 languages; it has inspired many outstanding works of art, e.g., the paintings of Akseli Gallen-Kallela and the musical compositions of Jean Sibelius. The epic style and metre of the poem The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow also reflect the influence of the Kalevala.

Finland 1935 2.00M sg 307, scott 208. The painting shows the landing of Louhi on the boat, painting is made by Aksell Gallen Kallela.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Black Prince (cruise liner)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:48 pm

black prince.jpg
Click image to view full size
The Black Prince is a cruise ship owned by Fred. Olsen Cruises.
It was built in 1966 at Lubecker Flender-Werke in germany, has a gross tonnage of 11,209t and has been in service as a cruise ship since 1987.
Stamp illustration from a photograph Norwegian Maritime Museum.
Detail from Norway Post.
john sefton
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby petecc » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:29 am

This is not the 1966 built BLACK PRINCE but the one Launched by Akers of Oslo
on 22.12.37; completed in May 1938 for Fred Olsen Line. Length: 111.3m;
Breadth: 16.2m.

She operated between Oslo, Kristiansand and Newcastle

Renamed LOFJORD in 1941.

1941 seized by Germans for a submarine depot ship, bombed at Danzig in
December 1941, later salved but constructive total loss and scrapped.
November 1951.

Sources: Miramar

http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/fol.htm

http://www.magwa.co.uk/ships/olsenfh.htm - check out the figureheads on
this site !
petecc
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:44 pm

It would appear that the Norwegian Postal Service has made a mistake on this one!
john sefton
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:03 pm

The ship on this stamp issued in Norway in 2009 is identified by Mr. Crichton as the BLACK PRINCE built in 1938. He identified her on her figure-head and I agree she is the ship.
As given by the Norway Post:

Norwegian Shipowners’ Association centenary
Norway's first shipowners' association was founded in Bergen in 1899, and Stavanger, Kristiania, Arendal and Kristiansand followed suit. In 1909, representatives of the local associations met in Kristiania. After securing the support of half of the country's tonnage, they convened on 15 September 1909 to found the Norwegian Shipowners' Association (Norges Rederforbund), with former Prime Minister Christian Michelsen as president. The Norwegian merchant fleet played a significant role during both world wars. In 1917 a tonnage agreement was signed with Britain, placing 130 Norwegian vessels at the disposal of the British, and in the spring of 1940 the Scheme Agreement, brokered by the Shipowners' Association, gave Britain the use of 150 tankers and dry cargo vessels totalling 450,000 tonnes. This agreement formed the basis for the establishment of Nortraship and the merchant fleet's support of the Allied forces. Norway's contribution at sea was extremely important, but the price was high. More than half of Nortraship's 1081 vessels were lost and nearly 4000 seamen lost their lives.

During the reconstruction of Norway after the war, the merchant fleet continued to give a helping hand. Nortraship's income during the war and compensation for sunk ships provided huge foreign currency earnings. This made it possible to import large quantities of goods before exports of Norwegian goods could start up. These earnings also provided the initial capital for the purchase of new vessels. In the course of a ten-year period Norway's
merchant fleet grew to become the fourth largest in the world.

After the discovery of oil on Ekofisk in 1969, Norwegian shipping began to focus on the offshore market. Exploration,
supply and auxiliary services, seismic surveys and other specialized services were first directed at the Norwegian continental shelf, but are today world-wide and internationally competitive.

In the 1970s and 80s, during the shipping crisis, many shipowners transferred their vessels to other flags and replaced Norwegian crews with crews hired under international terms. To counteract this trend, the authorities established the Norwegian International Ship Register (NIS) in 1987. In 1984 the Association changed its name to Norges Rederiforbund. Today, 163 shipping companies, with a total of 1467 vessels and rigs, are members of the Association. Norway is the fifth largest shipping nation in the world.





Built as a passenger- cargo vessel under yard No 473 by Akers Mekanniska Verkstad, Oslo for Fred Olsen, Oslo.
22 December 1937 launched as the BLACK PRINCE one sister the BLACK WATCH.
Tonnage 5.039 gross, 3.431 net, 2.935 dwt., dim. 117.58 x 16.15 x 5.64m. (draught).
Two 9-cyl B&W diesel engines, 5.600 bhp, speed 18 knots.
Accommodation for 290 passengers.
May 1938 completed.

July 1938 used in the service between Oslo, Kristiansand to Newcastle, U.K.
From September 1939 due to the World War II out of service and laid up in Oslo.
May 1940 seized by the Germans, where after she was used from 24 August as a Luftwaffe accommodation ship.
31 March 1941 taken over by the German Navy in Oslo and used there as an accommodation ship.
15 May 1941 used as a U-boat depot in Danzig for the 25th U-boot Flottile.
11 October 1941 renamed LOFJORD.

14 December 1941 got on fire at Danzig-Neufahrwasser and burnt out, 28 men killed and 11 were missing of heavily wounded.

From 02 June 1942 used as Luftwaffe target hulk.

1946 Was she refloated.
Hulk sold to Sigurd Herlofson, Norway and in 1950 to Willy Burns, Germany, but she was not refitted.
16 November 1953 arrived at Antwerp for demolition.

Source: Register of Merchant Ships completed in 1938. http://www.warsailors.com/homefleetsing ... rince.html http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/black_prince_1938.htm
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5561
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:12 pm

I contacted Norwegian Post and received this reply:-

Correction
In our information leaflet No. 4/09, we wrote
that M/S “Black Prince”, the subject of NK 1733
for the Norwegian Shipowners’ Association’s
centenary, was built in 1966. The ship was built
by Akers Mekaniske Verksted in Oslo and handed
over to Fred. Olsen in 1938. It was taken over by
the occupation forces during World War II and
was used as an accommodation ship, among
other things, by the German Luftwaffe. It was
broken up in Antwerp in 1951
(Source: www.faktaomfartyg.se).
john sefton
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:57 pm

black_prince_1938_1.jpg
Click image to view full size
black prince galjoen fig..png
black prince galjoen fig..png (30.29 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Click image to view full size
ms BLACK PRINCE and gallionsfigure
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 am

709174202_594eca8f4e.jpg
Click image to view full size
The figurehead on the latest Black Prince is quite different.
john sefton
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 49 guests