SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

TRIREME

The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?

DEPORTATION OF THE PEOPLE OF ST PIERRE et MIQUELON in 1793

The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Diana_(1794). Ivory Coast 2018;500f.

SOUTH AFRICAN PORTS

35c Walvis Bay Harbour:
This bay is on the west coast of South Africa was marked on Portuguese marine charts as early as 1487. The natural harbour was named Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicao by Bartolomeu Dias. The Territory of Walvis Bay became a British possession in 1878, and in 1884 it was incorporated into the then Cape Colony.
Walvis Bay was formerly a whaling station. Originally the bay was too shallow for use by Ocean Steamers but it has systemically dredged and the first quay for passengers and cargo vessels was opened in 1927. Walvis Bay is the centre of the important fishing industry on the west coast and also handles the exporting of minerals from Namibia.

55c East London:
East London port is situated in the mouth of the Buffalo River. In 1835 the river was surveyed for a possible harbour for longboats to carry passengers and cargo from the ships on the road to and from the harbour but it came to noting.
1847 A new attempt was made to open a port and this was also not successful.
Only when there where diamonds found in Grqualand there came sufficient money free to start again. In 1872 the first shipments with equipment arrived and after setting up a platform for the cranes the construction was started of the south breakwater.
1875 The first wharf was constructed, 1876 another and in 1877 a third wharf.
1993 The harbour has now 2.6km of quay, and several railway lines connect the port with Transvaal and other regions. The turnover in that year appr. 3 million tons and 26,000 containers a year.
In the foreground is a white hulled cargo vessel visible, most probably a reefer vessel.

70c Port Elizabeth: On 12 March 1488 Bartolomeu Dias became the first recorded Occidental to call at Bahia de Lagos as he named the bay now known as Algoa Bay. As a seaport, however, the town of Port Elizabeth owns it origin to the British settlers of 1820. After their arrival, the need for a customs post arose. In 1825 the bay was given port status with the appointment of a port master, and a year later a collector was appointed. Today, Port Elizabeth is the fifth largest cargo-handling port in South Africa. The port has more as 3,400m of quayage and a container terminal with two berths. Recently a large container-handling terminal for imported motor vehicle components was developed.

90c Cape Town Harbour: Table Bay has been used as a landing place by passing ships ever since Bartolemeu Dias rounded the Cape of Good Hope in 1488. The port grew from the refreshment station founded by Jan van Riebeeck in April 1652 for ships of the Dutch East India Company. In 1656 work was started on a wooden jetty to facilitate the landing of small boats. During World War II, Cape Town handled more than 400 convoys, saw 13,000 ships repaired, and took in about 6 million soldiers. During the Suez crises in 1973, the port handled an enormous amount of shipping. Today (1993) Cape Town handled some 4.5 million of cargo annually. There are sophisticated container handling facilities as well as two dry-docks and extensive service facilities.

Durban Harbour: In 1823 the brig SALISBURY viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10957&p=11622&hilit=salisbury#p11622 sheltered in a bay on the Natal coast during a sudden storm. Impressed by the potential of the bay, Lieutenants King and Farewell obtained a concession for a trading store on the waterfront. Thus began the history of South Africa’s busiest port. Today over 500.000 containers are handled at the container terminal annually, the largest in Africa. A large passenger terminal also provides for the needs of ocean travellers.

Source: South Africa Post and internet.
South Africa 1993 35c/R1.05 sg 772/76, scott 844/48

The Battle of “Soleil Royal” and “Britannia” in 1692

The scene in this painting depicts Soleil Royal and Britannia exchanging fire during the Battle of Barfleur in 1692. Lead by Adm. Tourvilles and sorely outnumbered, the French fleet, purportedly under order from King Louis XIV, attacked the Allied fleet, which consisted of Dutch and British ships. The battle was fierce, and in the end, the French, overwhelmed, were forced to flee, splitting into two groups. Soleil Royal, the flagship of Adm. Tourvilles, along with eleven other French ships were pressed by the Allied fleet and driven ashore at Cape La Hougue. The Allied fleet brought up their fire ships and destroyed Soleil Royal along with the other eleven French ships in the surf off la Hougue. The remainder of the French fleet, caught in the famous tidal race of Alderney, were swept to the west where they took refuge in various creeks, some driven ashore. The design stamp is made after painting of James A Flood.

Source:http://www.jamesaflood.com/soleil.html Ivory Coast 2018;2170f.

KEBIR CLASS PATROL BOAT

For the 20th Anniversary of the Algerian Coast Guard service, Algeria issued one stamp which shows a patrol boat of the Coast Guard at that time.

In 1993 only one type was in use, the Kebir-class which were replaced in 1994 by a Chinese type patrol boat.

The first three were built in the U.K. the others in Algeria. The first was built in 1982 the last in?
Displacement 250 tons, dim. 37.5 x 6.86 x 1.78m.
Powered by two diesel engines, 6,000 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament 1 – 25mm AA gun and 2 – 14.5mm MG.
Crew 27.
So far I can find 6 were in the service of the Coast Guard, the others by the Algerian Navy.

Source: Internet various sites.
Algeria 1993 2.00D sg 1123, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Black Prince (cruise liner)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:48 pm

black prince.jpg
Click image to view full size
The Black Prince is a cruise ship owned by Fred. Olsen Cruises.
It was built in 1966 at Lubecker Flender-Werke in germany, has a gross tonnage of 11,209t and has been in service as a cruise ship since 1987.
Stamp illustration from a photograph Norwegian Maritime Museum.
Detail from Norway Post.
john sefton
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby petecc » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:29 am

This is not the 1966 built BLACK PRINCE but the one Launched by Akers of Oslo
on 22.12.37; completed in May 1938 for Fred Olsen Line. Length: 111.3m;
Breadth: 16.2m.

She operated between Oslo, Kristiansand and Newcastle

Renamed LOFJORD in 1941.

1941 seized by Germans for a submarine depot ship, bombed at Danzig in
December 1941, later salved but constructive total loss and scrapped.
November 1951.

Sources: Miramar

http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/fol.htm

http://www.magwa.co.uk/ships/olsenfh.htm - check out the figureheads on
this site !
petecc
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:44 pm

It would appear that the Norwegian Postal Service has made a mistake on this one!
john sefton
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:03 pm

The ship on this stamp issued in Norway in 2009 is identified by Mr. Crichton as the BLACK PRINCE built in 1938. He identified her on her figure-head and I agree she is the ship.
As given by the Norway Post:

Norwegian Shipowners’ Association centenary
Norway's first shipowners' association was founded in Bergen in 1899, and Stavanger, Kristiania, Arendal and Kristiansand followed suit. In 1909, representatives of the local associations met in Kristiania. After securing the support of half of the country's tonnage, they convened on 15 September 1909 to found the Norwegian Shipowners' Association (Norges Rederforbund), with former Prime Minister Christian Michelsen as president. The Norwegian merchant fleet played a significant role during both world wars. In 1917 a tonnage agreement was signed with Britain, placing 130 Norwegian vessels at the disposal of the British, and in the spring of 1940 the Scheme Agreement, brokered by the Shipowners' Association, gave Britain the use of 150 tankers and dry cargo vessels totalling 450,000 tonnes. This agreement formed the basis for the establishment of Nortraship and the merchant fleet's support of the Allied forces. Norway's contribution at sea was extremely important, but the price was high. More than half of Nortraship's 1081 vessels were lost and nearly 4000 seamen lost their lives.

During the reconstruction of Norway after the war, the merchant fleet continued to give a helping hand. Nortraship's income during the war and compensation for sunk ships provided huge foreign currency earnings. This made it possible to import large quantities of goods before exports of Norwegian goods could start up. These earnings also provided the initial capital for the purchase of new vessels. In the course of a ten-year period Norway's
merchant fleet grew to become the fourth largest in the world.

After the discovery of oil on Ekofisk in 1969, Norwegian shipping began to focus on the offshore market. Exploration,
supply and auxiliary services, seismic surveys and other specialized services were first directed at the Norwegian continental shelf, but are today world-wide and internationally competitive.

In the 1970s and 80s, during the shipping crisis, many shipowners transferred their vessels to other flags and replaced Norwegian crews with crews hired under international terms. To counteract this trend, the authorities established the Norwegian International Ship Register (NIS) in 1987. In 1984 the Association changed its name to Norges Rederiforbund. Today, 163 shipping companies, with a total of 1467 vessels and rigs, are members of the Association. Norway is the fifth largest shipping nation in the world.





Built as a passenger- cargo vessel under yard No 473 by Akers Mekanniska Verkstad, Oslo for Fred Olsen, Oslo.
22 December 1937 launched as the BLACK PRINCE one sister the BLACK WATCH.
Tonnage 5.039 gross, 3.431 net, 2.935 dwt., dim. 117.58 x 16.15 x 5.64m. (draught).
Two 9-cyl B&W diesel engines, 5.600 bhp, speed 18 knots.
Accommodation for 290 passengers.
May 1938 completed.

July 1938 used in the service between Oslo, Kristiansand to Newcastle, U.K.
From September 1939 due to the World War II out of service and laid up in Oslo.
May 1940 seized by the Germans, where after she was used from 24 August as a Luftwaffe accommodation ship.
31 March 1941 taken over by the German Navy in Oslo and used there as an accommodation ship.
15 May 1941 used as a U-boat depot in Danzig for the 25th U-boot Flottile.
11 October 1941 renamed LOFJORD.

14 December 1941 got on fire at Danzig-Neufahrwasser and burnt out, 28 men killed and 11 were missing of heavily wounded.

From 02 June 1942 used as Luftwaffe target hulk.

1946 Was she refloated.
Hulk sold to Sigurd Herlofson, Norway and in 1950 to Willy Burns, Germany, but she was not refitted.
16 November 1953 arrived at Antwerp for demolition.

Source: Register of Merchant Ships completed in 1938. http://www.warsailors.com/homefleetsing ... rince.html http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/black_prince_1938.htm
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5631
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:12 pm

I contacted Norwegian Post and received this reply:-

Correction
In our information leaflet No. 4/09, we wrote
that M/S “Black Prince”, the subject of NK 1733
for the Norwegian Shipowners’ Association’s
centenary, was built in 1966. The ship was built
by Akers Mekaniske Verksted in Oslo and handed
over to Fred. Olsen in 1938. It was taken over by
the occupation forces during World War II and
was used as an accommodation ship, among
other things, by the German Luftwaffe. It was
broken up in Antwerp in 1951
(Source: www.faktaomfartyg.se).
john sefton
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:57 pm

black_prince_1938_1.jpg
Click image to view full size
black prince galjoen fig..png
black prince galjoen fig..png (30.29 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Click image to view full size
ms BLACK PRINCE and gallionsfigure
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Black Prince (cruise liner)

Postby john sefton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 am

709174202_594eca8f4e.jpg
Click image to view full size
The figurehead on the latest Black Prince is quite different.
john sefton
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 66 guests

cron