SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.

The editor of Log book will retire this coming August and, unless a new one comes forward, the society will close.
With this in mind, we are not taking in any new members.
This is an unfortunate situation but seemingly unavoidable.

CATHARINA 1862

Her name is given by Navicula as CATHARINA. The stamp is designed after a painting made by L. Petersen and P. Holm.

1862 Built by Dietrich Kremer in Blankenese for the brothers Captain Johannes and Johann Joachim Backhaus.
Launched as CATHARINA. (Not as given KATHARINA VON BLANKENESE)
Tonnage 128 gross, dim?
Rigged as a brigantine.
Homeport Blankenese, Germany.

24 April 1880 with a general cargo she stranded on the bar of Opolo, West Africa, and was wrecked.

The ships painting was made by Peter Christian Holm (1823-1888) who worked in Altona and Hamburg.
The CATHARINA was painted in 1864 when she entered CUXHAVEN on the Elbe River.
She is shown with the Schleswig Holstein flag.

The painting is now in the Altonaer Museum Hamburg.

Source: Navicula.
Paraguay 1977 2g sg?, scott 1764b

BACCHUS RFA (G.B.)

Built in 1914-'15 by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow, #229, for the Indo-China Steam Navigation Co., Hong Kong and purchased by the Admiralty while on the stocks on 22 March 1915, launched 10 May 1915.
Stores freighter and distilling ship of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, displacement:3598 long tons (3656 t) Lbp:89.94m. (295'1") Beam:13.44m. (44'1") Draft:6.30m. (20'8") 2x3 cyl. triple expansion steam engines:? hp. 10 kn. complement:52, callsign:GQKB
On 4 May 1928, BACCHUS was in collision with the Greek cargo ship IOANNIS FALAFOS in the English Channel, 20 nm. south of St. Alban's Head, Dorset. IOANNIS FALAFOS sank in three minutes with the loss of ten of her 22 crew. The survivors were initially rescued by BACCHUS but she was severely damaged at the bows and was abandoned as it was thought that she would sink too. The British cargo ship MANCHESTER COMMERCE took all on board. BACCHUS was later reboarded once it became apparent that she would remain afloat. She was towed into Portland Harbour stern-first by an Admiralty tug. BACCHUS was subsequently repaired and returned to service.
She was renamed BACCHUS II in May 1936 in order to free the name for a new ship. She was sunk as target on 15 November 1938, 10 nm. off Alderney, the Channel Islands, by gunfire from the cruiser HMS DUNEDIN.

(Liberia 2012, $3, StG.?)
Internet.

HEINRICH VON STEPHAN

Germany issued in 1997 one stamp for the 100th Anniversary of the dead of Postmaster Heinrich von Stephan (1831-1897).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_von_Stephan

He introduced the postcard in Germany of which one is depicted on the stamp, it shows us a passenger-cargo vessel, which has not be identified so far I know. It is a very small image and the only thing it looks that her two funnels are yellow which belong to the Hamburg Amerka Line. She has a straight bow so it must be a vessel from around 1900.

German 1997 100 pf sg 2764, scott?

CHRISTIANA, JOMFRUEN and ATLANTIC SUN

Norway issued in 2008 a series of stamp for tourism in the country, two have a maritime theme.

So far I know the small vessels on this stamp of Oslo Harbour with in the background the City Hall have not been identified, in the last Watercraft Philately of Nov/Dec 2018 in an article by Dan Rodlie he gives the names and details of the three vessels on this stamp as, from the left to the right as CHRISTIANIA, JOMFRUEN and the ATLANTIC SUN.

The Oslo City Hall is the political and administrative heart of the city. It has an important place in the history of Norwegian art and architecture and is visited by more than 100,000 guests and tourists every year. Its two towers, best seen from the sea, stand 66 and 63 metres high. The bells on the top of the east tower provide pleasure for many people, as they play tunes every hour on the hour from 7 am to 12 pm each day.

On the stamp of Lyngor Lighthouse, the sail yacht is not identified, maybe one of the readers has a name for the yacht?
In the days of sailing ships, Lyngor was one of the most important harbours on the Skagerrak coast. It is now a popular place for holidays. Narrow, cemented paths, flanked by white picket fences, wind their way over these vehicle-free islands. Boats are the only means of transport in this South Norwegian Venice.
When Lyngor Lighthouse was finished in 1879, householders in Lyngor celebrated the event by putting lights in their windows. It had been touch and go whether the lighthouse would be built. The authorities had not recommended it, but men from the region with money and good contacts in the Storting took action and produced results. Today we call that lobbying!

CHRISTIANIA:
Built as wooden 3 mast fore-and aft schooner (borgåskute) by Paul Grünquist & Co shipyard in Valax, Finland
Launched as HELGA
Tonnage 143 gross, 85 net, 230 dwt, dim. ? x 24.5 x 9.10ft
Auxiliary oil engine hp?
1948 Delivered to owners.

Lloyds Registry 1955/56 gives for the HELGA as owner Gustaf Holmberg, at Borgå, Finland. Most probably he was also the owner when built.
1994 Sold to Norway Yacht Charter A/A, Oslo and renamed CHRISTIANIA (the former name of Oslo) and restored in her original condition.
Tonnage 123 gross, 38 net, dim. 45.70 x 7.45 x 2.61m, (draught), length of hull 33.20m
Sail area 550 square meters. 10 sails.
Auxiliary engine Caterpillar 6-cyl. diesel, 365 hp.
Crew 5-9, day passengers 150.
Used as a passenger sailing ship in the charter business around Oslo Fjord. When not in use moored in front of the Oslo City Hall.
2019 In service.

JOMFRUEN:
Built as a motor cutter BRILLIANT in Hardanger on the west coast of Norway in 1917.
For many years she carried mackerel from ports around Bergen and Stavanger to the fishmarket in Oslo.
On her return voyages from Oslo she hauled cement from Slemmestad outside Oslo to the west coast of Norway. She continued trading mainly along the western Norwegian coastline until 1984.
From 1984 in spring of 1988 she was converted into a passenger sailing vessel and used as a party-ship and for social activities based in Oslo.
Tonnage 49 Gt, 19net, dim. 1970 x 5.30 x 2.60m. (draught)
Accommodation for 65 passengers.
Her name was at one time changed to BLÅVEIS until she was renamed JOMFRUEN in 2000.
2019 Owned by Norway Yacht Charter A/s, Oslo and in active service.

ATLANTIC SUN:
1994 Built as a passenger vessel by the Porsgrunn Maskineringssenter in Porsgrunn, Norway for the Atlantic Boat Ltd. AS, Oslo.
Tonnage 118 grt, 48 net, dim. 24.10 x 6.16 x 1.60m.
Powered by two General Motors engines.
Delivered under the name ATLANTIC SUN.

She has been used in the tourist traffic on the Oslo Fjord.
2019 In service, sane name and owner, IMO No 9068108.

Source: http://www.philatelism.com/details.php?issueid=2295
Otmar Schäuffelen, Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe; Various Norwe-gian Illustrated Shipping registry; http://www.tallship-fan.de/index_e.htm; D. Rodlie. Lloyds Register 1955/56

Norway 2008 7Kr. sg?, scott 1542

CARAVEL UNDER CONSTRUCTION COLUMBUS 1492

Of the many stamps and miniature sheets used for the 500th anniversary that Columbus discovered America, most of this stamps and miniature sheet have almost all the same design, only the miniature sheet issued by the Bahamas in 1990 is quite different.

The image is a woodcut from the book “Liber Chronicarum” of the chronicler Hartmann Schedel (1414-1514).

The book describe the Latin world history from the creation till the year 1493.
The book of 650 pages was printed in 1493 by Anton Koberger in Nürenberg. A German translation made by S. Alt is published in the same year.

The 645 (in a other edition over the 1000) woodcuts were made by Michel Wohlgemut (1437-1519) and Wilhelm Pleydenwurff (1462-1494).
On the miniature sheet of the Bahamas is depict the building of Noah’s Ark, the part with the Latin text is omitted.

If we pay attention to the following.
Columbus discovered Cuba on 28 October 1492, he returned to Spain were her arrived on 15 March 1493. At that time the chronicle of Hartmann Schedels was already by the printer, so this woodcut can’t represent the vessel of Columbus.
So this image can’t document the journey of Columbus.
The Post of the Bahamas is free to illustrate the life of Columbus with the Ark of Noah, if the image of the Ark is a caravel.

The artist who made this woodcut went into the wrong when he took a caravel as an example for the construction of Noah's Ark, and did not portray the Ark as a square box as most artists from that time portray the Ark.

This woodcut was made in the time of Columbus, while the miniature sheet has the imprint of a “Caravel under construction”. That the picture of the construction of a caravel fits in with the time of Columbus, and is therefore not from the time of the Arch of Noah.

So anyhow a good design of the Bahamas Post.

Source: Translated from Navicula.
Bahamas 1990 $1.50 sgMS 874, scott 692

DORIS

Guyana issued in 2018 two miniature sheets for “Fishing in Guyana”, the fishing boat depict in the border of the MS shows us fishing boats pulled on the beach. The fish most probably you can find in the Guyana waters but the depicted fishing boats have never seen this waters.
She are taken from a painting made by the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh in 1888 and show “Fishing boats on the beach at Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer in South France, the original you can find in the van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

The fishing boats depict are “doris” of which Aak to Zumbra gives: The French doris was originally carried on board “morutiers and “terreneuviers” and she is till today used for fishing inshore, gathering seaweed, and collecting sand. Locally modified to meet special conditions and type of use.
Some half-decked; others a raised cabin forward. Double tholepins used when rowing. Various rigs employed; ketch, cutter, sloop, spirit, lug, lateen. Now most used an outboard motor or inboard motor, and may be constructed of aluminium and she have a pilot house.

(the depicted boats are made of wood.)
Reported length 3.2 – 7m.; e.g. length 7m, beam 2.2m, depth 1.0m.

Turkey 1990 700li sg3090, scott 2482.
Guyana 2018 $16 and $8.50 sgMS?, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

ST HELENA 1963

The full index of our ship stamp archive

ST HELENA 1963

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:17 pm

tmpEC.jpg
SG630
Click image to view full size
tmpED.jpg
SG501
Click image to view full size
tmpEE.jpg
SG459
Click image to view full size
SG267.jpg
SG267
Click image to view full size
SG532.jpg
SG532
Click image to view full size
SG573.jpg
SG573
Click image to view full size
SG614.jpg
SG614
Click image to view full size
St Helena,Brecon and Ledbury.jpg
Click image to view full size
St Helena 1.00.jpeg
Click image to view full size
St Helena 35.jpeg
Click image to view full size
St Helena 40.jpeg
Click image to view full size
St Helena 50.jpeg
Click image to view full size
When the Union Castle Line, the mail service from England to South Africa which made calls at St Helena ended on 24 October 1977 after the arrival of the SOUTHAMPTON CASTLE in the U.K, the tiny island St Helena which did not have a airfield, needed a other vessel to transport stores, equipment, passengers and mail to the island.
The Government of St Helena together with the English Curnow Shipping Co., from Helston, Cornwall founded the St Helena Shipping Co., and this company got the contract from the British Government to transport cargo, mail and passengers to the island.

Thereafter the search for a suitable ship started, which was not easy, there was not much on the market what fitted the bill.
At least the United International Bank Ltd, London, bought the NORTLAND PRINCE for £1 million, and she was through chartered to the Government of St Helena.

She was built as a cargo-passenger vessel under yard No 314 by Burrard Drydock Co. at Vancouver for the Northland Shipping (1962) Co. Ltd., Vancouver, Canada.
02 February 1963 Launched under the name NORTHLAND PRINCE.
Tonnage 3,150 gross, 1,892 net, 2,228 dwt., dim. 329 x 48 x 18.1ft.
Powered by Stork-Werkspoor diesel engine, 4,200 bhp., speed 14 knots.
Passenger accommodation for 80 passengers.
Cargo capacity 135,000 cubic feet, partly reefer space.

After delivery used in the Canadian coastal service from Columbia to Alaska.
1977 Sold to the United International Bank Ltd., London for £ 1 million.
December 1977 arrived in Avonmouth, U.K.
She made first a trial voyage to St Helena before she for £1 million was rebuild to make her suitable for the service to St Helena.
New lifeboats were placed and the fire extinguishers renewed, accommodation improved and modernized, and fitted out with a hospital, also she got air-condition.
After her rebuilding she got accommodation for 67 passengers and two saloons.
She was renamed by Princess Margaret, ST HELENA.
13 September 1978 she made her maiden voyage under her new name from Avonmouth. Officers are English; the crew is from St Helena.
The intention was that she made six voyages each year to St Helena from Avonmouth, making a call at Tenerife for bunkers and cargo, before heading for Ascension and St Helena. The voyage from Avonmouth to St Helena is about 14 days, and from St Helena to Capetown around 6 days.
06 December 1978 she made her first voyage to Capetown.
Later she collected the mail for St Helena at Ascension, what did have an airfield and the mail was send there by plane.
On her return voyage from Capetown she made a call at St Helena but not at Ascension.
One time a year with on board the Governor of St Helena and cargo, she sails to Tristan da Cunha, the Governor is also responsibly for this island.
She was sometimes chartered by the French Napoleon Society for a charter trip from Capetown to St Helena.

During the Falkland War was she used as a mother vessel for the two Hunt class minehunters. She arrived Avonmouth 22 May 1982 and during discharging work already commenced for her new role. After discharging she moved to Portsmouth for modification, a flight deck and a shelter for a Wasp helicopter were added, water tanks converted to fuel tanks. RAS gear fitted to supply both water and fuel to the two minehunters. Satellite communications, naval communications equipment placed in the radio room.
Armament of 4 – 20mm Oerlikons and MG’s. AS 12 missiles for the helicopter.
Stored out for four months and six-reefer container were placed on deck fully loaded with stores. A total of £150.000 worth of stores was loaded.
Spare parts and ammunition for the minesweepers was loaded in 20 and 40ft containers.
09 June she sailed out with a merchant navy crew of 33 and a naval party of 73.
At Portland she carried out a work up together with the two minehunters, and to try out her RAS installation.

13 June she sailed out together with her two minehunters. After a call at Ascension for bunkers she sailed for the South Atlantic on 29 June, arrived Port Stanley on 10 July.
Then she sailed to the Ajax Bay in San Carlos on 14 July together with her two minehunters the HMS BRECON and LEDBURY. She stayed there till 25 July. The minehunters located the wrecks of the HMS ANTELOPE, ARDENT and COVENTRY, also five Argentinean fighters were located on the sea bed which had not been reported as shot down, and the wreck of the Argentinean container ship RIO CARARANA.
By 14 August they had done all they were came for and after a call at St Helena she sailed to the UK were she arrived at Rosyth on 15 September.
During this time she had sailed 17.083 miles.
Thereafter did the British Government re-charter her for further work as a supply vessel for the Falkland Islands.
After rebuilding and repair at Falmouth she was handed back to her owners one year later.

17 December 1986 the British Government approved the building of a new vessel for the service to St Helena, the ST HELENA became to small and got older and had to be replaced.
1990 Renamed in ST HELENA ISLAND after the new ST HELENA was launched.
The same year sold to Sea Safaris Ltd., Malta and renamed AVALON.
1993 Sold to Indoceanic Maritime Enterprises Ltd, Mauritius and renamed INDOCEANIQUE.
1996 Deleted from Lloyds Register – “Broken up”.

Ascension 1980 50p sg 267, scott?.1986 15p sg403, scott?. 1990 18p sg532, scott 495. 1994 25p sg630, scott 495.
St Helena 1990 20p sg573, scott 563. 1992 38p sg614, scott577. 1992 38p +8P SGMS616, Scott579c. 1995 60p sg709, scott 665.
Tristan da Cunha 1988 35p sg459, scott?. 1990 15p sg501, scott438. 1996 15p sg598, scott580.

Marine News 1994/161. Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1963. Sea Breezes.
Merchant ships at War by Capt. Roger Villar.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5755
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: ST HELENA 1963

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:13 pm

tmp131.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp130.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp132.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp133.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp12F.jpg
Click image to view full size
30th Anniversary of the RMS ST HELENA commission for the Falkland War.
St Helena 2012 20p/£1 sg?, scott? (The £1 stamp shows the ST HELENA and her two minehunters HMS BRECON and LEDBURY.)
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5755
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 94 guests