SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

DISCOVERY OF PORTO SANTO

João Gonçalves Zarco: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14429&p=16374&hilit=zarco#p16374 and Tristão Vaz Teixeira: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14430&p=16375&hilit=teixeira#p16375 discovered the island of Porto Santo in 1418 during the reign of Dom João I of Portugal.
The vessel depict on the MS is a “caravel redonda” viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10014&p=11903&hilit=caravel+redonda#p11903

The Discovery of Porto Santo, in 1418, and of Madeira, in 1419, constituted the first act that profoundly marked the epic of Portuguese Maritime Expansion, as these islands, thereafter, constituted an Atlantic base, which allowed Portugal to attain the position it occupies in World History, for, in the fitting words of Portugal's greatest poet, having given new worlds to the World. Such a significant historical event, which now happened 600years ago, is more than a good enough reason to celebrate this secular collective journey, which honours the memory of a people who, within and outside of the archipelago, have succeeded in maintaining the most outstanding features of an ‘Atlantic lusitanity’, that lends it its own cultural identity. Because Porto Santo was, of the discoveries, the first island, it will be the specific focus of this year's celebrations, which will include several popular and cultural initiatives, ranging from publications and exhibitions to conferences, shows and many other events in the public sphere in which the population and the school community will participate.

https://www.wopa-plus.com/en/stamps/product/&pgid=46418
Portugal Madeira 1918 1.50 Euro, sg?, scott?

DIOGO GOMES Portuguese Explorer

Dominica issued in 1991 a set of stamps for explores, the $4 stamp shows us a caravel viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8977&p=9068#p9068 used by Diogo Gomes for his discovery voyage along the West African coast.

Diogo Gomes (c. 1420 – c. 1500) was a Portuguese navigator, explorer and writer. Diogo Gomes was a servant and explorer of Portuguese prince Henry the Navigator. His memoirs were dictated late in his life to Martin Behaim. They are an invaluable (if sometimes inconsistent) account of the Portuguese discoveries under Henry the Navigator, and one of the principal sources upon which historians of the era have drawn. He explored and ascended up the Gambia River in West Africa and discovered some of the Cape Verde islands.
Early life
Probably a native of Lagos, Portugal, Diogo Gomes began as page in the household of Prince Henry the Navigator and subsequently rose to the rank of cavaleiro (knight) by 1440. Diogo Gomes participated in the 1445 slave raid led by Lançarote de Freitas of Lagos on the Arguin banks, and claims to have personally captured 22 Berber slaves singlehandedly.
He was named a royal clerk (escrivão da carreagem real) on 12 June 1451, and went on in the service of both Prince Henry and the Portuguese crown.
Expeditions
Circa 1456, Gomes was sent out by Prince Henry in command of three vessels down the West African coast. Gomes claims he was accompanied by Jacob, an "Indian" interpreter, which some early historians have taken as a rare indication that Henry envisaged reaching India at this early stage. However, modern historians find this improbable; Russell notes that, at the time, 'Indian' was commonly used as a moniker for an Ethiopian, and the furthest hope that Henry nurtured was of reaching the lands of Prester John.
Gomes is said to have reached as far as Rio Grande (now Geba River, in Guinea Bissau), a huge leap beyond the last point known to be reached by the Portuguese. But strong currents checked Gomes' course and his officers and men feared that they were approaching the extremity of the ocean, so he turned back. On his return, Gomes put in at the Gambia River and ascended up the Gambia a considerable distance, some 50 leagues (250 miles), reaching as far as the major market town of Cantor, an entrepot of the Mali gold trade. Gomes credits himself as the first Portuguese captain to interact peacefully with the natives in this region (all prior expeditions had been fended off or fallen in hostilities on the Senegambian coast, although Alvise Cadamosto had also sailed successfully that same year). At Cantor, Gomes collected much information about the gold mines and trade patterns of the upper Senegal and upper Niger, of the cities of Kukia and Timbuktu and the Trans-Saharan trade routes that stretched to the Moroccan coast.
Although the region was primarily Muslim, Gomes seems to have won over at least one important chief named Numimansa, with his court, to Christianity and Portuguese allegiance. Teixeira da Mota identifies 'Numinansa' as the chieftain of the Nomi Bato, and may have been the same chieftain responsible for the deaths of earlier explorers Nuno Tristão in c.1447 and Vallarte in c.1448. The Nomi Bato are probably ancestral to the current Niominka people of the Saloum River delta, and although currently classified as a Serer tribe, were probably originally Mandinka at the time.
Return to Portugal
By 1459, Gomes was appointed to the lucrative office of almoxarife (receiver of royal customs) of the town of Sintra. He remained in that position until c.1480.
Gomes made another African voyage in 1462 (which some historians date as 1460). He sailed down to the Saloum River delta (Rio dos Barbacins) in Senegal, to enter into trade with the Serer people of Sine and Saloum. There he stumbled upon the caravel of the Genoese captain António de Noli, and they charted a return journey together. On the return, Gomes sailed to the Cape Verde islands and claims to have been the first to land on and name Santiago island (his priority is contested by Cadamosto). Gomes speaks, with some resentment, of how Antonio de Noli managed to reach Lisbon before him and secured the captaincy of Santiago island from the king before his arrival.
Prince Henry having died in 1460; thus after his return, Gomes retired from active exploring and pursued a career with Henry's nephew and heir Ferdinand of Viseu and the royal court. In 1463, he was appointed royal squire (escudeiro) for King Afonso V of Portugal. In 1466, he secured a generous royal pension of 4,800 reals, to which were attached duties as a magistrate in Sintra (juiz das cousas e feitorias contadas de Sintra). At an uncertain date, he was also appointed magistrate in nearby Colares (juiz das sisas da Vila de Colares, for which we have confirmation by 5 March 1482).
Death
His death date is uncertain. Some date it as early as 1485, and one authority has 1482, although historian Peter Russell suggests he lived until at least 1499. There is confirmation he was certainly dead by 1502, from the record of an indulgence for his soul paid for by his widow.
Memoirs
Already in advanced age, Diogo Gomes orally dictated his memoirs to the German cartographer Martin Behaim during the latter's sojourn in Portugal. The date of the relation is uncertain and could be anytime between 1484 (Behaim's arrival) to 1502 (confirmation of Gomes' death). Historian Peter Russell tentatively dates the interview around 1499, as the account refers to the death of António de Noli, which occurred around that time. It is likely Gomes dictated in Portuguese, probably through an interpreter, and Behaim wrote it down in Latin (or alternatively in German, and only later transcribed to Latin).
The resulting memoirs, under the title De prima inuentione Guineae ("Of the first discovery of Guinea"), are the only surviving contemporary manuscript, outside of the official chronicle of Gomes Eanes de Zurara, that attempts to give a chronological account of all the Henrican discoveries. The manuscript has two other parts, De insulis primo inventis in mare Occidentis (an account of Canary Islands and the Madeira group) and De inventione insularum de Acores (containing the only detailed record of the Portuguese discovery of the Azores islands).
Historians generally treat Diogo Gomes's account with caution - his penchant for self-promotion, his advanced age, his attempt to recollect events more than two decades past, misunderstandings by Behaim's interpreter, the haste of the transcription (the Latin is quite poor, suggesting it was hurriedly written) and possibly even some supplementary massaging of the material by editor Valentim Fernandes, have conspired to make it an imperfect document, with numerous errors and inconsistencies. Nonetheless, it is an enormously valuable document, containing details that are not found elsewhere.
Among other novelties, Gomes' memoirs are the sole record of what appears to have been the earliest Portuguese expedition, a 1415 expedition to Gran Canaria by João de Trasto (although this is probably just an erroroneous reference of the 1424 expedition of Fernando de Castro). Gomes also gives the first detailed account of the rediscovery of the Azores by the Portuguese in Prince Henry's service.
The memoirs are noteworthy for illuminating the character and purpose of Prince Henry the Navigator, ascribing to the prince a deliberate scientific and commercial purpose in exploration. Gomes notes Henry sent out his caravels to search for new lands (ad quaerendas terras) from his wish to know the more distant parts of the western ocean, and in the hope of finding islands or terra firma beyond the limits laid down by Ptolemy (ultra descriptionem Tolomei); on the other hand, his information as to the native trade from Tunis to Timbuktu and the Gambia helped to inspire his...

ISLE OF MAN PORTS

Isle of Man Ports:
18p Douglas, she is the largest harbour of the islands, and the ferries terminal is there. The ferry visible is the KING ORRY V. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5992&p=5988&hilit=KING+ORRY+V#p5988

23p Castletown, situated in the south of the Isle of Man, the harbour is dominated by an ancient castle. In the harbour alongside are some pleasure craft visible.

37p Port St Mary, Port St Mary is the principal harbour in the South of the island. It handles coastal vessels, supports a buoyant fishing industry. The stamp shows fishing vessels, cabin cruisers and yachts.

40p Ramsey is the second busiest harbour on the island, dealing with mixed cargo, fishing and pleasure craft. The red hulled cargo vessel on the left of the stamp is the GLENFYNE,
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13445#!lightbox[gallery]/1/

Source: Isle of Man Post Office information letter No 63.
Isle of Man 1992 18/40p sg 527/30, scott 519/22 and MSsg 531, scott 523a/523b. For the MS see also: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5992&p=5988&hilit=KING+ORRY+V#p5988

JACQUES BOULLAIRE

French Polynesia issued in 1993 four stamps for the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Jacques Boullaire (1893-1976) a French painter.
He worked and lived n Tahiti from 1937 – 1966.
The stamps shows us scenes on Tahiti from that time, which were designed after etching he made there, in the background of each stamp you see a schooner rigged vessels. Of the vessels I have not any details.

32F Pahi Moorea.
36F Pahi Tuamotu.
39F Pahi Rututu
51F Pahi Nuku-Hiva

French Polynesia 1993 sg676/79, scott 616/619

BAT'A CANAL

The Czech Republic issued one stamp for the Bat’a Canal, the stamp shows us pleasure boats and a small passenger vessel with tourists on board for a sightseeing trip on the canal.

The Baťa Canal, also known as the Otrokovice-Rohatec Canal, is a historical 52 km waterway built in 1935-38 to connect Otrokovice with Rohatec. The waterway partly follows the Morava River, the rest is a complex of man-made canals with a number of gates, locks (14), and other water structures. There are 23 bridges across the canal, with pedestrian underpasses (platforms with iron-bound low railing used to support tow ropes when towing boats below the bridge).
The main material transported on the waterway was lignite from the Ratiškovice mines owned by the Baťa company. It was transported to the lignite fired power plant in Otrokovice, which supplied heat and power to the local leatherworking plant.
A number of unique technical facilities were installed on the waterway, such as a coal tipper between Rohatec and Sudoměřice, cableway used to tow boats across the Morava Rver at Vnorovy, etc. A typical "Baťa house" for the attendant was built next to each lock. The remains of these monuments, part of which is presently under reconstruction, provide evidence of the high craftsmanship of their builders.
The reconstruction of almost the entire 52 km track has been finished by now, with 13 locks being put in working order, which allows using the waterway for cargo transport and for recreational boating between Otrokovice and Petrov, or Skalice in Slovakia. Tourists can use 8 ports and 16 landing places. With the construction of the port in Skalice, Slovakia, the Baťa Canal became an international waterway. The reconstruction project is planned to continue until the waterway reaches Hodonín and Kroměříž (so-called Athens of the Haná Region).
The designers of the Danube-Oder-Labe waterway have also relied on using Baťa Canal´s river sections navigable by larger ships. The Baťa Canal would remain open for local transport, and at the same time would be linked to the European waterway network.

From Czech Republic Post:
Czech Republic 2012 10K sg?, scott?

DANISH PILOT SERVICE 300th YEAR.

Denmark issued in 1984 one stamp for the 300th Anniversary of the Pilot Service, the stamp shows a pilot cutter under sail of which I have not any details.

On 08 March 1684 King Christian V presented by Royal Resolution In Dragör, that six pilots has to be appointed knowing the Danish channels which had to accompany the Danish fleet or warships of the King through the channel between Amager and Saltholm (Øresund or Sound)

Pilots were already known in Denmark from 1561, but by the Royal Resolution of 1684 that 6 pilots were appointed the actual pilot system was born in Denmark.

Pilots are used by the captains of ships in not well known waters or ports and canals, most countries have made the pilotage of ships compulsory by approaching their ports.

Much more info is given on ship pilots by Wikipedia see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_pilot

Source: PTT Denmark and internet.
Denmark 1984 2.70 Kr sg774, scott
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

SANTA ROSA 1932

SANTA ROSA 1932

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 pm

santa rosa 1932.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 santa rosa 1.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 santa rosa.jpg
Click image to view full size
By this set of stamps issued by Curaçao in 2017, two stamp shows a ship.
The info given by this set:

--------


Views of the fifties.
Views of the fifties is a stamp emission to remember life on the island in the fifties. Most of the photos used dated back in the end of the forties, beginning and mid fifties. Various of the photos were taken by Master Photographer Fred Fisher. These photos were digitally converted and carefully retouched and resampled to create and retain a vintage uniformed look, by creating a balanced workflow, retaining the same structure and a color adaptive process.
By the two stamps which show a ship is given:

121c: Handelskade (Commercial quay) and the entrance of the harbour. The Port Authorities building in the back has been completely replaced by a more modern architecture.
(Of the wooden sailing vessel I have not any information.)

308c: A birds eye view of the rooftops of Punda, overlooking the harbour entrance towards Otrobanda, with the SANTA ROSA from the Moore McCormac Line (must be the Grace Line) just entering the harbour. (She must be the SANTA ROSA (2) which has two funnels as seen on stamp.)
Source: https://www.cpostinternational.com/imag ... nfo_50.jpg

Built as a passenger-cargo vessel under yard No 121 by Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Kearny for the Panama Mail SS Co. Inc., San Francisco. (Managed by the Grace Line.)
1930 Ordered.
24 March 1932 launched as the SANTA ROSA, three sisters, SANTA ELENA, SANTA LUCIA and SANTA PAULA.
Tonnage 9.135 grt,7,290 dwt, dim. 155.0 x 22m, length bpp. 147.6m
Powered by two General Electric Co. steam turbines, each 6,000 hp., double geared to twin screws. Speed 19 knots.
Passenger accommodation when built 209 first class and 50 tourist class.
October 1932 completed. Homeport New York.

1938 She was sold or transferred to the Grace Line Inc., San Francisco not renamed.
SS SANTA ROSA (later SS ATHINAI) was a passenger and cargo ocean liner built for the Grace Line. She was one of four sister ships (the others being Santa Elena, Santa Lucia and Santa Paula) ordered in 1930 from the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company of Kearny, NJ. Her regular route included inter-coastal service between the east coast and the west coast of the USA via the Caribbean and the Panama Canal. She was the second of ultimately three vessels to bear the name SANTA ROSA for the Grace Line. (The first SANTA ROSA was a 1917-built ship that was sold in 1925.)
Design and construction
Designed by Gibbs & Cox, SANTA ROSA bore some resemblance to their later ships, the SS America and SS United States. such as his signature winged funnel. The public rooms were all on the promenade deck. The dining room was located on this deck between the two funnels and had an atrium stretching up two and a half decks. Unique for its day was a retractable roof which allowed the passenger to dine under the tropical sky. The Grace Line also employed female waitresses instead of male stewards. All first class cabins were outside twin beds and private baths.
Prewar Grace Line service
The SANTA ROSA sailed on her maiden voyage on 26 November 1932. Her East-West coast route of New York-Seattle was 20 days and included a one-day call in Los Angeles and two days in San Francisco. The ship's service speed of 20 knots and her superior accommodation made her very popular compared to that offered by Pacific Coast shipping. In 1936 however the intercoastal service ended and SANTA ROSA and her sisters transferred to service to the Caribbean.
World War II service
SANTA ROSA was requisitioned by the US War Shipping Administration on 3 January 1942 with Grace Line operating the ship as agents and allocated to Army for troop service. Even in wartime gray, the ship retained her elegant oceanliner lines:
"..Further down and across the dock, the Grace Line passenger ship SS SANTA ROSA, also lay waiting. She was painted wartime gray but she still flaunted her nubile twin funnels, sweeping bow and long, beautiful lines; She exuded an aura of speed, luxury, and moonlight tropical nights. The SS SANTA ROSA was sexier than Rita Hayworth in a travel poster..."
SANTA ROSA made 21 voyages from the east coast of the US from 1942-1945: one to Europe, one to Australia, one to India, and three to Africa.
Her wartime voyages included:
January 1942 - New York to Melbourne and Nouméa via the Panama Canal
April 1942 - Suez, Massaua, Adan, Durban
November 1942 - to the Clyde
November 1942 - to Casablanca
January 1943 - to Casablanca
February 1943 - Bermuda and Casablanca
April 1943 - Casablanca, Gibraltar, the Clyde, Algiers, and Phillippeville
August 1943 - Oran in Algeria
October 1943 - Boston to Swansea, the Clyde, Palermo, Newport UK
December 1943 - via Boston to Bristol and Newport
February 1944 - Belfast
March 1944 - from Boston to Avonmouth and Cardiff
May 1944 - via Norfolk to Naples and Gibraltar
July 1944 - via Norfolk to Oran, Naples, and Cape Henry
October 1944 - Marseilles, Oran, and Gibraltar
December 1944 - from Boston to Swansea and retuen to Boston
January 1945 - Le Havre and Southampton
February 1945 - to La Harve and Plymouth
March 1945 - to The Solent, Le Havre, Southampton
June 1945 - Southampton
July 1945 - Le Havre and Cherbourg with return to Hampton Roads, to Plymouth and Le Havre
August 1945 - Le Havre and Cherbourg with return to Hampton Roads, to Plymouth and Le Havre
September 1945 - Marseilles
October 1945 - from New York via Port Said to Karachi
December 1945 - from New York via Port Said to Karachi with return to New York in January 1946
The vessel was returned to Grace Line on 3 February 1947.
Postwar Grace Line service
After her war service she underwent repair and refit at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company prior to redelivery to her owners. SANTA ROSA returned to Grace Line and resumed the Caribbean service on 7 February 1947. In 1958, after 26 years of service, SANTA ROSA was replaced by a larger liner of the same name. In June 1958 SANTA ROSA was renamed SANTA PAULA The older ship was laid up at Hoboken, NJ until 1961 when she was sold to Greek owners.
Typaldos Lines service
SANTA ROSA was renamed ATHINAI and began a new career as a cruise ship for Aegean SN Typaldos Lines, Piraeus. A refit increased her accommodation and converted her to carry three classes of passengers. She entered service for her new owners for voyages in the Mediterranean, Black Sea and Adriatic. ATHINAI in her Typaldos Line livery appears briefly in a scene of the port of Piraeus, Greece, in the 1963 film The Bullfighter Advances. In 1968 the Typaldos Lines owners were arrested and the company disbanded after the Greek government investigation of the SS HERAKLION incident found them guilty of manslaughter and negligence. The company's ships were taken over and sold except for two, including SS ATHINAI, who attracted no buyers and were subsequently laid up at Phaleron Bay.
1966–89.
SANTA ROSA/ATHINAI never returned to active service. In 1978 she was towed out of layup for use as a film set for Raise the Titanic. After a decade of neglect, and with fittings that did not appear to be out of place on a 1912 built ship, ATHINAI needed very little conversion work for filming the Titanic’s interiors. Her bows were painted to resemble Titanic and she was sprayed with concrete to simulate 68 years on the ocean floor. After the filming she was returned to Phaleron Bay. She remained for another ten years until 1989, when she was towed for scrapping at Aliağa, Turkey in a purge of derelict shipping. She arrived at Aliaga 19 April 1989 and was scrapped by Nigdeliler Hurdacilik.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Santa_Rosa_(1932) http://www.miramarshipindex.nz
Curacao 2017 121 and 308c sg?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5660
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Featured Stamp

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest