Who can supply the names by this two Turkish ships issued by Turkey in 2008
Attachments
tmp146.jpg
tmp147.jpg

Arturo

Re: Two ufo's "Cumhuriyet"

Post by Arturo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Dear Auke Palmhof

Nearly for two years following your identification of ships on stamps either on this web site or WP with great admire.

I would like to contribute two UFO’s identifications.

The first one is;

Cumhuriyet (means “Republic”) Passenger Ship.

Turkey (2008) 65 ykrş.

She was built in 1893 Denny Bros. Co. Shipyards in Dumbarton England for the Russians. Gt. 4179. Lenght: 113 m, Beam width: 13,7 m, Draft: 7,7 m, Powered by 3580 Hp engines, Max. Speed: 14 kts.

Her first name was Koroleva Olga (Russian) and served mainly in The Black Sea. She was captured by German war ships in October 29th 1914 during the First World War. Due to Ottomans and Germans were allies during WW-I she was brought to İstinye Harbour (one of the naval harbours in İstanbul/ Turkey) as booty. Renamed as Urla.

Than under German flag renamed again as Olga served as a dormitory ship for berthing to Turkish and German soldiers in İstinye Harbour as stationery during the rest of WW-I.

After the First World War, she was given to Ottoman Seyr-i Sefain (Maritime) Organisation and served as passenger ship under the name of Cumhuriyet. She was commanded most of the time by very famous Turkish captain “Aziz Kaptan”. Turkish people loved this ship especially for her long bowsprit at the frontside. She was decomissioned in January 15th, 1952. Sold to Italy in 1954 and scrapped in La Spezia.

This stamp is a painting in Turkish Maritime Organization History and Art Center (founded in 1995 and located in Karaköy/İstanbul, Turkey). The painter is “Diyarbakırlı Tahsin Bey”.

The stamp was issued for 165th Anniversary of Turkish Maritime Organization (TMO) in 2008. The first core of the TMO is “Fevaid-i Osmaniye” established in the year 1843. And then it took the title of “İdare-i Şahane” and “İdare-i Aziziye” in the year 1870. The Organization whose activity subjects transportation, port affairs, life and property security at sea, factory and pools shipyard business continued to undertake various activities within history.

Source: www.tdi.gov.tr
Source: www.tdi.com.tr
Source: www.ptt.gov.tr
Source: Seyr-i Sefain Öncesi ve Sonrası by Eser Tutel, İletişim Yayınları, 2006.

I believe you have more to say about this ship.
Attachments
Cumhuriyet.jpg
Cumhuriyet.jpg (13.24 KiB) Viewed 5314 times

Arturo

Re: Two ufo's "Mahmut Şevket Paşa

Post by Arturo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm

This is the second identification.

Mahmud Şevket Paşa (Passenger Ship)

Turkey (2008) 80 Ykrş.

She was built in 1886, in J.L.Thompson & Son Shipyard in Sunderland England as a passenger and cargo ship. Gt: 1690 Length: 103,7 m. Width: 12,2 m. Draft: 9,8 m.

Ordered by Shipper’s Mutuel Steam Navigation Co.Ltd. a Chinese Company, by the aim of she would be the fastest cargo ship carrying tea from China to Europe. Her first name was Moyuna.

Later she was sold to a Japan Company which name was Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha one of the biggest companies of Japan. She was renamed as Shjibata Maru. She was bought by Otoman Company Gümüşcüyan and renamed as Mahmud Şevket Paşa in 1910.

After a while she was given to Otoman Maritime Administration (Seyr-i Sefain İdaresi). During WW-I she was torpedoed by British submarine E-11 off Şarköy/Tekirdağ, Turkey (In Marmara Sea) while sailing. She was rescued and towed to İstanbul. She was repaired and serviced again in 1917 as a cargo ship. In 1919 renamed as Ararat and in 1922 renamed again as Mahmud Şevket Paşa. She was sold to Turkish Maritime Organisation in 1924. She served until 1935 and scrapped in that time.

The two stamps are paintings in Turkish Maritime Organization History and Art Center (founded in 1995 and located in Karaköy/İstanbul, Turkey).

The painter is “Diyarbakırlı Tahsin Bey” (in that time there was no last name people are called by names and by place where they born, Tahsin is name and “Diyarbakırlı” means he was born or cames from Diyarbakır (A city southeastern part of Turkey).

He was born in Diyarbakır in 1875. He entered The War Academy in İstanbul graduated as Cavalry Lieutenant in 1895. When he was a student of Hodja Ali Rıza, he learned that the real master of the art was the nature. Diyarbakırlı Tahsin Bey is mostly known for his paintings of sea and boats.

He has never been tired of studying the ships sailing as he sat at one of the cafes particularly on the Galata wharf for hours. Therefore, you can see all the beauties of the sea, and almost hear the roar of the storms in his works.

The atelier of Seyr-i Sefain İdaresi or Otoman Navigation Administration, almost became his home. When he passed away in 1937, he left many unforgettable Works behind. You can see some of his paintings in the Turkish Maritime Organization History and Art Center.

The stamp was issued for 165th Anniversary of Turkish Maritime Organization in 2008.

Source: Seyr-i Sefain Öncesi ve Sonrası by Eser Tutel, İletişim Yayınları, 2006.

Arturo

Re: Two ufo's "Mahmut Şevket Paşa

Post by Arturo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:07 pm

This is the second identification.

Mahmud Şevket Paşa (Passenger Ship)

Turkey (2008) 80 Ykrş.

She was built in 1886, in J.L.Thompson & Son Shipyard in Sunderland England as a passenger and cargo ship. Gt: 1690 Length: 103,7 m. Width: 12,2 m. Draft: 9,8 m.

Ordered by Shipper’s Mutuel Steam Navigation Co.Ltd. a Chinese Company, by the aim of she would be the fastest cargo ship carrying tea from China to Europe. Her first name was Moyuna.

Later she was sold to a Japan Company which name was Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha one of the biggest companies of Japan. She was renamed as Shjibata Maru. She was bought by Otoman Company Gümüşcüyan and renamed as Mahmud Şevket Paşa in 1910.

After a while she was given to Otoman Maritime Administration (Seyr-i Sefain İdaresi). During WW-I she was torpedoed by British submarine E-11 off Şarköy/Tekirdağ, Turkey (In Marmara Sea) while sailing. She was rescued and towed to İstanbul. She was repaired and serviced again in 1917 as a cargo ship. In 1919 renamed as Ararat and in 1922 renamed again as Mahmud Şevket Paşa. She was sold to Turkish Maritime Organisation in 1924. She served until 1935 and scrapped in that time.

The two stamps are paintings in Turkish Maritime Organization History and Art Center (founded in 1995 and located in Karaköy/İstanbul, Turkey).

The painter is “Diyarbakırlı Tahsin Bey” (in that time there was no last name people are called by names and by place where they born, Tahsin is name and “Diyarbakırlı” means he was born or cames from Diyarbakır (A city southeastern part of Turkey).

He was born in Diyarbakır in 1875. He entered The War Academy in İstanbul graduated as Cavalry Lieutenant in 1895. When he was a student of Hodja Ali Rıza, he learned that the real master of the art was the nature. Diyarbakırlı Tahsin Bey is mostly known for his paintings of sea and boats.

He has never been tired of studying the ships sailing as he sat at one of the cafes particularly on the Galata wharf for hours. Therefore, you can see all the beauties of the sea, and almost hear the roar of the storms in his works.

The atelier of Seyr-i Sefain İdaresi or Otoman Navigation Administration, almost became his home. When he passed away in 1937, he left many unforgettable Works behind. You can see some of his paintings in the Turkish Maritime Organization History and Art Center.

The stamp was issued for 165th Anniversary of Turkish Maritime Organization in 2008.