Built by 'San Marco', Cantieri Riunit dell' Adriatico (C.R.D.A.) Trieste.
Battleship of the 'Littorio' class, displacement:41.376/45.237 tons, Loa:237,76m. B:32,82m. Draft:9,60m. 8 Yarrow boilers, 4 steam turbines:128.000 hp. 4 shafts, 30 kn. complement:1830 to 1950, armament:3 × 3 381 mm./50 cal guns, 4 × 3 152 mm./55 cal guns, 4 × 1 120 mm./40 guns for illumination, 12 × 1 90 mm./50 anti-aircraft guns, 20 × 37 mm./54 guns (8 × 2; 4 × 1), 10 × 2 20 mm./65 guns.
Armor: Main belt: 350 mm. Deck: 162 mm. Turrets: 350 mm. Conning tower: 260 mm.
Aircraft carried:3 aircraft (IMAM Ro.43 or Reggiane Re.2000) Aviation facilities:1 stern catapult.
The Vittorio Veneto was laid down 1934 along with her sister the Littorio and was launched on 25 July 1937 and commissioned on 28 April 1940. She would see action numerous times and give a good account of herself against the British taking part in 56 war missions. She fought at the Battle of Cape Spartivento (Teulada) where she fired 19 salvos to drive off a 7 ship British cruiser squadron in a pitched battle that also included the battleship HMS Ramillies and battle cruiser HMS Renown. In 1941 she took part in the Battle of Cape Matapan where she was damaged by an aerial torpedo after driving off a British cruiser squadron. After repairs she was back in action and on 15 June 1942 participated in the Battle of Mid-June, where she and her sister ship Littorio successfully fenced off a large British convoy from Alexandria by their mere presence at sea. She was also the first Italian battleship equipped with radar. She surrendered with the Italian fleet to the Allies on 8 September 1943 surviving furious German air attacks. She was interred at the Great Bitter Lakes in the Suez Canal. After the war she taken as war compensation and was returned to Italy in 1948.
Scrapped at La Spezia 1951–54.
(Somalieland 2011, 1500 a. StG.?)
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1