ROCKSAND HMS

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

ROCKSAND HMS

Post by aukepalmhof » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Built as a fleet sweeping sloop under yard no 1060 by Swan, Hunter& W. Richardson, Neptune yard, Low Walker for the Royal Navy.
10 July 1918 launched as HMS ROCKLAND one of the 24 class mine-sweepers.
Displacement 1320 ton, dim. 81.5 x 10.7 x 3.20m, (draught), length bpp. 78.5m.
Powered by one triple expansion 4-cyl steam engine, 2,500 ihp, one shaft, speed 17 knots.
Armament: 2 – 4.0 inch guns and 39 depth charges.
Crew 82.
August 1918 commissioned.

After commissioned so far I could find was she in the 11th sloop flotilla based at the Granton Naval Base, in the Firth of Forth, and later based at Gibraltar.
15 November 1922 sold to Ferguson Muir for breaking up.
Source: Tyne built ships and http://www.miramarshipindex.nz

Of the class is given by Wikipedia.
The 24 class was a class of minesweeping sloops. They were derived from the preceding Flower-class sloop, but designed to appear double-ended. Twenty-four ships to this design (hence the class name) were ordered between December 1916 and April 1917 under the Emergency War Programme for the Royal Navy in World War I, although two of them were cancelled before launch. All were named after famous racehorses (winners of The Derby), but they were not named Racehorse class as the Admiralty realised that this could easily be confused in communications with the Racecourse class of paddle minesweepers, and they officially became the 24 class.

Like the Flower-class sloops, they were single-screw fleet sweeping sloops used almost entirely for minesweeping, although only ten were completed by the Armistice in 1918. However, they had identical deckhouses and gun shields at either end of the vessel, with straight stems and sterns. Furthermore, four of those completed had the single mast aft of the centrally-located funnel, and the rest had the mast forward of the funnel. The symmetrical design was completed with fake anchors at the stern to confuse enemy targeting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-class_sloop
Marshall Island 2018 $1 sg?, scott 1220a
Attachments
ROCKSAND camouflage-9.jpg
2018 rocksand (3).jpg