CUBA ISSUE OF THE TOKYO SUMMER GAMES 2021 with a "sprint C2 canoe"

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

CUBA ISSUE OF THE TOKYO SUMMER GAMES 2021 with a "sprint C2 canoe"

Post by aukepalmhof » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:07 pm

Cuba issued 2021 a set of stamps for the Tokyo Summer Games of which one stamp shows us a watercraft.

Cuba’s Serguey Torres Madrigal and Fernando Dayan Jorge Enriquez won a thrilling men's canoe double 1000m race to claim the gold medal at the Olympics Games Tokyo 2020. They used a “sprint canoe C”, which has a length of 6.50m, with a weight of 20 kg. More info on: viewtopic.php?p=20190&hilit=SPRINT+CANOE+C2#p20190

The Cuban pair finished in 3:24.995, a new Olympic best time, beating LIU Hao and ZHENG Pengfei of People’s Republic of China into second place. (I believe they are shown in the top canoe). Germany’s Sebastian Brendel and Tim Hecker took the bronze in 3:25.615.
“I can’t explain," said an emotional Torres Madrigal on winning the gold. "I have been working for this the last 15 years, maybe more.”
“The gold medal in the Olympic Games, it is amazing.”
Liu and Zheng led the field from the start at the Sea Forest Waterway, opening a gap of 0.67 seconds by the 250m mark over the German crew, who were in second place at this stage.
By the halfway point, the PR China crew appeared to be powering away, opening a lead of half-a-boat length over Cuba, the world No. 1, who had moved up from fourth to second.
Liu and Zheng, who set the pace for three quarters of the race, found themselves in a battle for the gold with the Cubans once they passed 750m mark. The difference was now less than one quarter of a length.
The PR China and Cuba crews went stroke for stroke as they raced for the line.
And in the final stages, Torres Madrigal and Jorge Enriquez edged ahead of the PR China canoeists to complete their comeback, crossing the line first in a new Olympic best time.
The new record beat the Olympic best time set by the Germans in the semi-finals by 1.614 seconds.
“It’s an exciting game," said Zheng. "We just tried our best for this 1000m competition.”
“We got the second place but actually, we being athletes, we feel that everyone should get their own applause and their own flowers," added Liu. "We got a good result.”
The men’s canoe double win is the first Olympic gold for Cuba in the canoe sprints and the country's first canoeing medal in Tokyo.
“This is the first Olympic gold medal for Cuba (in canoe sprint), and I think for Latin America," added Torres Madrigal, "so I am very proud.”
The win also marked Jorge Enriquez' first victory over Liu, who won the 2019 world title with a different partners, WANG Hao, and Zheng in Tokyo, but there could be another - the three canoeists go head-to-head in the canoe single 1000m

https://olympics.com/en/news/cuba-sergu ... 1000m-gold
Cuba 2020 1.90p sg?, Scott?
Attachments
2021 Canoe.Olympic Summer Games Tokyo jpg (3).jpg
2021 Canoe.Olympic Summer Games Tokyo jpg (3).jpg (100.78 KiB) Viewed 623 times