HMS Glasgow (1861)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
Post Reply
Anatol
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

HMS Glasgow (1861)

Post by Anatol » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:32 pm

HMS Glasgow was a wooden screw frigate, the fifth ship of the name to serve in the Royal Navy.
Glasgow was launched at Portsmouth Dockyard on 28 March 1861. Despite ironclad ships being introduced in 1858 and effectively rendering wooden hulls obsolete Glasgow was built of wood to use up some of the extensive stocks of ship building timber then stored in Britain. Indeed Glasgow would be one of the last Royal Navy Vessels to be made entirely from wood. Her one and only foreign deployment was as flagship to the East Indies from 1871 to 1875. From 24 May 1871 until her decommissioning she was commanded by Captain Theodore Morton Jones. During this time she was the flagship of Rear-Admiral James Cockburn and then of Arthur Cumming, following Cockburn's death. Glasgow was paid off on 20 July 1875 and sold for breaking up in December 1884. Glasgow was used by Sultan Bargash of Zanzibar as the model for his royal yacht HHS Glasgow, Bargash having been impressed by the ship when she visited Zanzibar in 1873.
The design stamp is made after painting 1903.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Glasgow_(1861)
Attachments
Glasgow1861.jpg
Glasgow1861.jpg (136.13 KiB) Viewed 11166 times
Hms_glasgow_1861.jpg
Hms_glasgow_1861.jpg (51.68 KiB) Viewed 11166 times

Post Reply