ZEEMANSHOOP lifeboat of 1927

The full index of our ship stamp archive
Post Reply
Posts: 7846
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

ZEEMANSHOOP lifeboat of 1927

Post by aukepalmhof » Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:00 pm

The motor lifeboat ZEEMANSHOOP was in use by the KNRM from 1925 to 1971. The photo relates to the rescue operation of the ZEEMANSHOOP on 9 October 1938, when the herring fishing logger 'MAARTEN SCH 102 ended up on the northern head of the Scheveningen pier during a heavy storm with exceptionally strong flood currents and storms. 9 people from the 12-person crew were rescued from the sinking fishing boat.
Another noteworthy fact about this lifeboat is the fact that in May 1940 students and Jewish refugees managed to escape to England with the ZEEMANSHOOP.
Photographer HGM Schimmelpenninck (KNRM Image Archive).

https://www.postzegelblog.nl/2024/05/19 ... el-en-wee/

More on the stranding of the MAARTEN is given at:
https://www.scheveningen-haven.nl/info/ ... 100&af=SCH

In May 1922, the College ZEEMANSHOOP commemorated its 100th anniversary. During the festive meeting in the building of the Industrial Club in Amsterdam, to which the board of the NZHRM was also invited, the College ZEEMANSHOOP delighted the NZHRM with a gift of 25,000 guilders, intended for the construction of a motor lifeboat to replace the mrb. Jhr. JWF RUTGERS VAN ROZENBURG stationed in Scheveningen. The only condition was that the boat had to be built in the Netherlands and would bear the name ZEEMANSHOOP. The construction was awarded to the Shipbuilding Company firm v/h H. Schouten in Muiden.

The dimensions of the new lifeboat were: length overall 12.80 m, width 3.20 m, maximum draught 1.14 m, water displacement 18 tons. She was equipped with a Kromhout MD engine of 44 hp, maximum speed 8.1 nautical miles per hour. By 5 compartments, 14 air boxes and bottom tanks she was divided into 19 watertight sections. In January 1925 the ZEEMANSHOOP could be put into service in Scheveningen. Although she enjoyed the complete confidence of the crew, the management of the NZHRM was not reassured whether the boat had sufficient stability. The metacentric height was 41.4 cm, which was considerably less than that of the DORUS RIJKERS . BRANDARIS II and HILDA. That is why it was decided to apply 2.2 tons of ballast, consisting of two 25 mm thick keel plates riveted to the hull and, in the boat, lead ballast. After the ballast had been added, the metacentric height was found to be 50.4 cm and the draught 1.20 m.
Experience has shown that this was a wise decision, because during her adventurous life the ZEEMANSHOOP acquired the reputation of being a very seaworthy lifeboat, eminently suited for her task, at all the lifeboat stations where she was stationed.


From 1925 to 1976, ZEEMANSHOOP was a motor lifeboat of the Royal North and South Holland Rescue Society (KNZHRM) .

In celebration of the 100th anniversary of College ZEEMANSHOOP in Amsterdam, the decision was made in 1922 to build this motor lifeboat. The ZEEMANSHOOP has had over fifty years of active service, during which it sailed out 224 times and saved 341 lives. Its first home port was Scheveningen , the last Urk , from where the last rescue took place on 14 June 1975.

First rescue.

After the government had fled to England on 13 May 1940, Hoek van Holland was in the hands of the Germans, so others who wanted to escape went to Scheveningen. This included the British naval attaché in The Hague, Admiral Sir Gerald L. Charles Dickens, and his assistants Charles M. Morrell and Louden. Skipper MJ de Bruin took them in the ZEEMANSHOOP to a British submarine, where they boarded while being fired upon by Germans. The ZEEMANSHOOP returned to Scheveningen unscathed.

Second rescue

A few hours later, fourteen Dutch naval officers and five French soldiers arrived at the Scheveningen harbour. Among them were Vice Admiral J Th Furstner and his staff and the French General Eugène Mittelhauser . The ZEEMANSHOOP and the JOHANNA took them to sea, where the Dutch torpedo boat Z-5 would pick them up. When it did not appear, the passengers of the ZEEMANSHOOP were transferred to the JOHANNA, which then sailed to Falmouth .

The ZEEMANSHOOP was diverted to England on 14 May 1940. There were 46 crew members, namely four students and 42 passengers. Among the passengers were 24 Jews. On 15 May, the passengers were taken over by an English destroyer. The lifeboat was then taken by the English to Dover , where it functioned as a communication vessel for the Dutch navy at the minesweeping service in Holyhead and later in Harwich .

Seeing four ships on the horizon, the Dutch flag was raised, as well as the flag of the KNZHRM . One of those four ships turned out to be the ATJEH , a Dutch tugboat. The destroyer HMS VENOMOUS took the refugees on board.

A year later, the KNZHRM heard from the Red Cross that the ship had arrived safely in England with the message: "the brother of Dorus, Arthur and Hilda is here and is making himself useful".

The following names of passengers are known: Wim Belinfante and his sister Ada John Blitz Ro Cohen , brother of Anna Velmans ? Daniels Max and Aal Printer couple Fischer Goldsmith couple Marien the Younger Joseph Jacob van der Laan Herman Marx , cousin of Leo Polak couple Mayer Jacob Meier Meuleman couple Kurt and Frieda Munzer Otto Neurath from Vienna Leo & Lucie Polak and son Thijs Marie Reidemeister from Vienna Singer Simon Speyer (Dik) Joseph Velmans (1890-1956), diamond cutter Anna Velmans-Cohen (1892-1979), his wife, buyer at Bijenkorf Loet Velmans , their son (1923) [1] Max Louis Wessel (1919) From Weasel Dr Simon Weijl P. Zaitichek Four students Jo Bongaerts (Venlo, 1915), studied in Delft, became a pilot, MLD and 320 Sq , engineer at BPM , Shell director in 1966 Karel R Dahmen (1919) studied in Delft, joined the navy, became an engineer, emigrated to the US in 1967. Lou M Meijers , 1st year medical student, Groningen Harry Hack , studied in Delft.

After the Second World War the ship returned to the Netherlands and was returned to the owner after being repaired at Rijkswerf Willemsoord in Den Helder. It served for many years on the IJsselmeer, with home ports Enkhuizen, Hindeloopen (1952), Nijkerk (1961) and Urk (1966),

After she was sold she had the following owner, which used her as pleasure vessel.

Ter Schiphorst, from 1976, new name: DE HOOP.
IC Rijf, new name: ZEEMEEUW . He had the wheelhouse enlarged. replaced by a Volvo Penta MD 67C of 160 hp.
Jan Vrieswijk
Hans de Jong, born in 1999?, in 2002 he had the Glennifer engine replace by a Volvo Penta MD67C of 160hp
Theo de Boer, from 2005, new home port the Museumhaven Zeemanshoop in Ballum on Ameland
Neeltje Jacoba Foundation 1929 from 2015, home port Museumhaven Zeemanshoop.

Sources, notes and/or references List of Dutch naval ships in World War II May 14th and 15th (http://dare.uva.nl/document/77560) Passengers After the war Owners 7/
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeemanshoop_(schip,_1925) (google translated.)
Netherland 2024 1 sg?, Scott?
Zeemanshoop_voor_WWII.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
200-jaar-KNRM-Zeemanshoop.jpg (48.66 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Post Reply