Central African Republic and QE2

ibiscus1

Central African Republic and QE2

Post by ibiscus1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:03 pm

In the ATA Handbook 156 there is mention that in 1997 Central African Republuc issued a stamp 175fr Scott number 1187d showing the liner QE2. I believe it was issued marking the handover of Honk Kong to China. I have not seen the stamp and would be interested to see the design.

Also in about 2003 it is also reported that Central African Republic again issued a souvenir sheet with the Queen Mother and the present Queen woth the liner QE2 at the bottom of the sheet. Again I would very much like mto know of the design.

Any help on either of these stamps?

ibiscus1

Re: Central African Republic and QE2

Post by ibiscus1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:35 pm

At long last I have obtained the 1997 stamp from Central African Republic which in the ATA booklet 156 suggests that the stamp depicts the liner QE2. In fact it does not - the ship shown is the royal yacht Britannia! A disppointment for me as I collect Cunard ships on stamps. However I am still looking for the 2003 stamp also from Central African Republic which most certainly does show the QE2 but so far with no success. It is the one major item missing from my Cunard Ships on stamps collection. Any help in locating it would be appreciated.

Stewart Wilson