THOMAS G. TOMPSON research vessel

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

THOMAS G. TOMPSON research vessel

Post by aukepalmhof » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 am

My first thought when I received the stamp in 2001 was that the vessel was American but did not try to identify her and put the stamp in my ' yet to be identified' stockbook. Yesterday I tried to find her in Jane's Fighting Ships 2001-2002 but no image shown duplicated the ship on the stamp (my Combat Fleets of the World was too outdated to be of any help).

Today I did a search on Google and ended up on the NOAA Ocean Explorer site http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/technolog ... mpson.html. There I found three similar vessels but the THOMAS G THOMPSON stood out as the nearest profile to that shown on the stamp. If you follow this link http://martech.ocean.washington.edu/ it will take you to the ship's website and an excellent profile of the ship. The blue box on the deck forward of the bridge could be a container as on the ship itself that area is painted as a helicopter landing area. Also check out the images gallery for some photos of the ship.

Although there are slight differences I have not been able to find any other vessel that matches the profile on the Monaco stamp.

I know Auke thinks it might be a small passenger vessel but if that were the case I do not think it would have an ' A Frame' on the stern. (He is correct she is the THOMAS G.THOMPSON, Auke Palmhof.)

Regards

Peter Crichton

Built as a research vessel under yard No 1148 by Halter Marine Inc., Moss Point, Gulfport, Mississippi for the USA Navy.
Intended name when ordered EWING.
29 March 1989 laid down.
27 July 1990 launched as the THOMAS G. THOMPSON. (T-AGOR 23)
Tonnage: 3051 grt. 1,499 net. Dim. 83.26 x 16.0 x 8.08, length bpp. 77.01m.
Powered diesel electric by two 360 degree azimuthing stern thrusters rated at 3,000 hp, each, speed 13 knots. (the designer has her with a rudder and screw, most probably an imagination of the designer) One 1,100 hp waterjet bow thruster.
Bunker capacity 952 cubic metre.
Accommodation for 22 officers and crew, 36 scientists and 2 marine technicians.
08 July 1991 completed.

She has three sisters all built to the same basis designs, the three sisters are NOAAS RONALD H. BROWN, ATLANTIS and ROGER REVELLE.

The THOMAS G. THOMPSON was built with a significant amount of cranes and an A-frame that allows easy transport and equipment on and off the vessel.
The A-frame on the stern supports a 12-ton stationary load and six tons in motion.
On the starboard side, on top of the staging bay, there is a telescoping boom that supports a 12-ton stationary load and a 2-ton load in motion.
Two Alaska Marine cranes on the starboard and portside provide duties for trawling. At a 10-foot radius, the cranes support 42,000 pounds, and at 65 foot radius the cranes support 3,400 pounds.
On the port there is also a 27 foot reach folding crane.
On the bow, there is a 43 foot crane on the starboard side.
On board there are a 26 foot RIB workboat and a 15 foot Achilles inflatable workboat. There is also a 19 foot RIB rescue boat.
Scientific spaces include; a staging bay, hydro lab, wet lab, main lab, a biochemical/analytical clean lab, an electronic/computer lab and scientific storerooms.
There is a maximum load of 200 tons of scientific equipment, and four laboratory grade fume hoods within the ship.
A scientific freezer is available and capable of maintaining a temperature of -18 Celsius.
There is a diving locker on the starboard side of the ship that contains a breathing air compressor and storage tanks upon request
A deck bolting grid on the deck allows equipment to be bolted down at sea.

Monaco 2001 0.46 Euro sg?, scott? (The submersible on the stamp is given as the NAUTILE??)
Monaco 2019 1.30 Euro sg?, scott 2967. (more info on the stamp is given on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16798

Source: Wikipedia. ABS records. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz Watercraft Philately 2004 page 14.

Attachments
tmpDA.jpg
tmp127.jpg
2019 CIESM.jpg