S-Class (Fourth Group)
Israel's first submarines were ex-Royal Navy S-Class submarines which entered service in 1958. The Israeli navy operated two boats, S-71 INS TANIN (ex-HMS SPRINGER) and S-73 INS RAHAV (ex-HMS SANGUINE) until the late 1960s. Built in the final days of WW2, they had undergone a modest modernization after the war involving the fitting of a folding snort mast to allow charging of the batteries whilst the boat was submerged, and better sonar. All the same these boats were essentially WW2 era types largely obsolete even before they entered Israeli service.
HMS SPRINGER (P 264)
Built by Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd. Birkenhead, laid down:8 May 1944, launched:14 May 1945, commissioned:2 August 1945. Displacement: 814-872 tons surfaced, 990 tons submerged. Length:217’ (66.14 m.)
Beam:23’ 6” (7.16 m.) Draught:11’ (3.35m.) diesel/electric 1900/1300 hp. 14.75 kn. surfaced, 8 knots submerged
Complement:48 officers and men.
Armament:6 × forward 21” (533 mm.) torpedo tubes, one aft, 13 torpedoes, 1-3”(76mm.) gun, 1-20 mm. canon., 3-.303 calibre machine guns.
Sold to Israeli Navy on 9 October 1958, renamed TANIN, fate: scrapped in 1972.
HMS SANGUINE (P 266)
Same details as HMS SPRINGER, built by Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd. Birkenhead, laid down:10 January 1944, launched:15 February 1945, commissioned:13 May 1945, sold to Israeli Navy in March 1958, renamed RAHAV, fate: cannibalised for spares for TANIN in 1968, broken up at Haifa in 1969.
(Israel 2017, 2.50 sh. StG.?)
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1