BOSPORUS FERRY

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

BOSPORUS FERRY

Post by aukepalmhof » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:32 am

The Turkish Post issued in 2022 four stamps of “Nostalgic vehicles” of which one stamp shows us an old Bosporus steam-powered ferry, when enlarging the stamp the name on the bow is I believe TÜRKIYE, which is the Turkish spelling of the country name.
I have been passing the Bosporus many times and many ferries were crisscrossing the strait when passing.
I could not find a ferry under the name TÜRKIYE so I believe it is a fantasy name.

Wikipedia has the following on the Bosporus ferries.

Boats have traversed the waters of the Bosphorus for millennia and until the opening of the first Bosphorus bridge in 1973, were the only mode of transport between the European and Asian halves of Istanbul. They continue to serve as a key public transport link for many thousands of commuters, tourists, and vehicles per day.
The first private steam ferries (called vapur in Turkish), crossed the Bosphorus in 1837. The first ferries were wooden paddleboats and were later replaced by iron and steel screw ships. The city authorities took over the fleet and formed a Şirket-i Hayriye (boat company) in 1945.
Several generations of ferries have served the city since and are now powered by fuel-burning engines. Many were built by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Glasgow, Scotland, and have sailed the Golden Horn and the Bosphorus for decades. These white, black, and green boats have gone on to become iconic in the modern popular culture of the city. One was featured in the James Bond film From Russia with Love, while more recently a new-generation and therefore historically inaccurate ferry appeared momentarily in the 2012 film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which was set in the 1970s. The last steam-powered ferry ran until 2003. A new generation of boats, designed by Fairfield but built in Istanbul, came into operation in the 2000s, gradually replacing the decades-old fleet.
In the past few decades, the ferries have been partially replaced by the two Bosphorus bridges, the Marmaray rail tunnel, fast catamarans and water taxis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferries_in_Istanbul
Turkey 2022 4L sg?, Scott?
Attachments
2022 Nostalgic-means-of-transportation-FDC (2).jpg
2022 Nostalgic-means-of-transportation-FDC (2).jpg (90.47 KiB) Viewed 335 times
2022 Nostalgic-means-of-transportation.4 L jpg (2).jpg
2022 Nostalgic-means-of-transportation.4 L jpg (2).jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 335 times

aukepalmhof

Re: BOSPORUS FERRY

Post by aukepalmhof » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:43 am

Update:
After searching the internet for the photo after the stamp was designed, I did find on the web-site
http://www.eskimeyenkitaplar.com/bogazi ... asi-hisar/
that she is the SUREYYA.
Built as a passenger's vessel under yard no 440 by the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd, at Govan, Scotland for the Chairket I Haire (Bosphorus Steam Navigation Co.), Istanbul, Turkey.
25 March 1905 launched as the SUREYYA (Bosphorus No 51). (meaning Pleiades Constellation.)
Tonnage 115 grt, 56 nrt, dim. 30.6 x 5.91 x 2.16m.