"Phoenix" is a brig of the Baltic Fleet of the Russian Empire. One of three brigs of the same type.
A sailing brig with a wooden hull, the first of three brigs of the same type, built from 1809 to 1818 in Kronstadt and St. Petersburg. The displacement of the brig was 470 tons, the length, according to various sources, was from 30.12 to 30.2 m, the width was from 9.35 to 9.4 m, the interior depth was 3.8–3.81 m, and the draft was 4. 1 meter. The vessel was armed with twenty 24-pound carronades and had a crew of 85 people.
It was one of nine sailing and sailing-rowing ships of the Russian Imperial Navy that bore this name.
The brig "Phoenix" was laid down on October 18, 1809 in the dry dock of the Kronstadt shipyard and, after launching on July 24, 1811, became part of the Russian Baltic Fleet. Construction was carried out by shipwright A.V. Zenkov.
The brig's mortgage board was made in the form of a circle and resembled a large coin, on the front side of which it was engraved: “in Kronsht in the Sukh Kanal 22 pu Brig Phoenix Laid in October 1809, 6 days Kor Mast Zenkov.” This foundation board is the oldest surviving foundation board of ships of the Russian Imperial Navy in the Central Naval Museum in St. Petersburg.
In June and July 1812, the brig cruised in the Gulf of Riga and the Baltic Sea, carrying out reconnaissance operations off the coast of Riga and Danzig. In August, she provided protection for the approaches to the Gulf of Riga and cruised between Vindava and Libava. On August 19, the brig, as part of the detachment of captain 2nd rank I. S. Tulubiev, came to the Danzig roadstead.
Until September 4, the ship blocked the sea approach to the fortress, and on September 8 it arrived in Sveaborg. At this time, Mikhail Petrovich Lazarev served on the brig with the rank of lieutenant.
During the war with France of 1813-1814, the ship cruised in the Baltic Sea, going to Stockholm, Copenhagen, Karlskrona.
Since 1815, the brig became part of the training ships of the Naval Cadet Corps (MCC). From 1815 to 1819, the brig went on practical voyages to the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Finland.
From May to September 1817, the Phoenix went on a practical voyage with the best students of the ICC, assigned to the brig by the will of the Sovereign. The ship visited Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Karlskrona. Senior officer - Lieutenant M.V. Milyukov; officer-mentor - Lieutenant S. A. Shirinsky-Shikhmatov.
In 1825, the brig was dismantled in Kronstadt.
Barbados 2019; $5.
Source: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki /Phoenix (brig, 1811).
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1