Alligator

The full index of our ship stamp archive
shipstamps

Alligator

Post by shipstamps » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:25 pm

The sailing ship in which the first pioneers were carried to Liberia, and which is represented on many Liberian stamps, has presented a number of problems for the research worker attempting to identify the vessel. For example, the title on the stamps, says: "1822: Pioneers Landing", but the first settlers landed long before this. In February, 1820, the first group of colonists left New York in the sailing ship Elizabeth, which had been chartered by the U.S. Government for the purpose. A second group left in the brig Nautilus in 1821 and the brig Strong carried 53 colonists from Baltimore, including Jehudie Ashmun, the " Father of Liberia".
Of these vessels only the Elizabeth could possibly be the ship depicted but the year is obviously the wrong one, which must rule her out. I am therefore most indebted to the Hon. F. A. Leathers, who tells me the ship on the stamp can be regarded as the Augusta. This vessel sailed from Sierra Leone for what is now known as Liberia on December 6, 1822, and reached Mersurado Bay on December 12, with the pioneers who successfully founded the present Liberian state. Previous attempts had proved abortive.
Named as Alligator in SG catalogue. Any comments?
SG467 Sea Breezes 6/61

aukepalmhof

Re: Alligator

Post by aukepalmhof » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:48 pm

I am wondering if the identification of the ship on Liberia given in Stanley Gibbons under the name ALLIGATOR is the right vessel.
The designer has taken many liberties in the design under which, a ship under full sail ferrying her passengers to the beach is strange

The ALLIGATOR was a USA navy schooner, the vessel depict is rigged as a three-masted barque, she was in 1822 not in Liberia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Alligator_(1820) , so she can not be the vessel.

As given by Watercraft Philately CD-ROM A-D that she is the AUGUSTA I do not believe either that she is the right vessel.
In the book on line
http://www.archive.org/stream/republico ... t_djvu.txt
Additional satisfaction was caused by the arrival from Sierra Leone of an ancient schooner called the AUGUSTA, which, have been long ashore, was salved; refitted, armed with six guns, manned by a crew of twelve under a Lieutenant Dashiell, and she was brought down with some difficulty to Cape Montserrado.

Only one vessel was in 1822 at Monrovia, and most probably the designer has tried to depict this ship, she was the brig rigged STRONG, she left Baltimore on 20 June 1822 with on board 53 colonists under which J Ashmum.
She arrived off Cape Montserrado (Monrovia) on 08 August 1822. Have not any info on the ship.
When the STRONG was brig rigged she is also wrongly depict, a brig is a two mast vessel, carrying square sails on both masts with a spanker. But I believe of all three vessels not any painting or drawing exist.
Attachments
1923 Debarquement-of-Colons.jpg