Elizabeth

The full index of our ship stamp archive
shipstamps

Elizabeth

Post by shipstamps » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:34 pm

On January 1 1972, Liberia issued two stamps, 3c and 25c, and a miniature sheet of 50c., for the 150th anniversary of the founding of Liberia in 1822. The design shows the arrival of the sailing ship Elizabeth, anchored off Providence Island with a boat making for the shore. Liberia represents America's only attempt at overseas colonisation. The American Colonisation Society received its charter in 1816 for the purpose of assisting freed slaves to return to Africa. Branch societies were established. In February 1820, the first shipload of colonists left in the ship Elizabeth, which had been chartered by the U.S. Government for the purpose. She carried two agents of the U.S. Government, an agent of the Colonisation Society and 88 emigrants. The first settlement was at Monrovia. SG1099

aukepalmhof

Re: Elizabeth

Post by aukepalmhof » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:17 pm

I do not think that the design is correct, so far I did find out the ELIZABETH landed her emigrants on Sherbro Island, Sierra Leone and they moved later to Liberia on board of the AUGUSTA (SG gives ALLIGATOR). I can not find that she ever moved any emigrants to Cape Montserado in Liberia.

The Elizabeth a full rigged wooden sailing vessel was built in 1806 in Scitiate, Mass for George, James and Benjamin Howland of New Bedford.
Three masts, two decks, square stern with no galleries. Bust figurehead.
Tonnage 305 tons, dim. 96.5 x 26.11 x 13. 5½ft.

1809 Her registration was transferred to New York City.
February 1820 owned by Edward Morehead.
06 February 1820 under command of Captain William Sebor she sailed from New York with on board 86 mostly freeborn African Americans
09 March 1820 arrived at Sierra Leone, where the colonists were landed, soon after arrival 25 colonist died from malaria and yellow fever.

Most probably the ELIZABETH took a cargo back to the USA but if she ever had been in Liberia I could not find.
1829 Registered in Savannah, Ga.
05 May 1829 her documents were surrendered at Charleston with the notation “unseaworthy”.

Source: Historical Sketches of Watercraft on Stamps by William A. Coffey, editor. Vol 2
Attachments
tmp126.jpg