LJUBLJANA

The LJUBLJANA (III) was a cargo vessel that carried bulk cargo, containers and timber from 1988 to 2002 as part of the fleet of the Splošna Plovba shipping company in Yugoslavia .
The purchase of the LJUBLJANA and two similar ships (AROSIA and POHORIE (II)/ARIELLA) enabled Splošna Plovba to adapt to the requirements of the shipping line connecting the Mediterranean and the Pacific coast of North America (MEDPAC), a line it maintained from 1975 to 1993. By that time Splošna Plovba's Concord-class ships had begun losing the battle with their competitors, while exporters of cellulose and timber from Canada and the USA were imposing increasingly strict requirements regarding the equipping of ships with rotating cranes with a lifting capacity of 5 x 25 tons to enable the unloading of cargo without the use of forklifts. Cargo was increasingly being transported in containers, of which each vessel could carry 1,100 TEU.
Following the cancellation of the MEDPAC line, the LJUBLJANA (III) was leased for some years to the Italian shipping company d'Amico, after which Splošna Plovba employed her in the tramp trade.
The LJUBLJANA was 183 metres long with a beam of 27.6 metres, a draught of 10.87 metres and a tonnage of 32,680 tons (21,284 gross tons, 11,087 net tons). She was powered by a 9,396 kW (12,775 hp) Sulzer/IHI diesel engine and cruised at a speed of 14 knots.
The LJUBLJANA was the third ship in the Splošna Plovba fleet to bear this name (hence the designation III). She was built in 1981 by the Kanda Shipbuilding Co. in Kure, Japan. She was purchased by Splošna Plovba in 1988 and sold in 2002. In 2009 she was scrapped at Alang in India.

Duška Žitko, Jože Utenkar https://www.wopa-plus.com/en/stamps/product/&pgid=45320

Built as a cargo vessel under yard no 256 by Kanda Zosensho Shipbuilding in Kure for Boston Shipping Ltd. Liberia
06 December 1980 launched as the BRAZIL VENTURE.
Tonnage when built, 18,610 grt, 11,087 ton, 32,680 dwt, dim. 183,0 x 27.6 x 10.87m, (draught)
Powered by a one Sulzer/IHI diesel engine, 12,775 hp, one shaft, speed 14 knots.
March 1981 delivered, IMO no. 7916208.

1986 Sold to Magelan Shipping Co. Ltd, Greece and renamed in IOANNIS ZAFIRAKIS.
1988 Sold to Splosna Plovba Piron, Yugoslavia, renamed LJUBLJANA.
1993 Renamed by company in CIELO DI FIRENZE and chartered by the Italian shipping company d’Amico.
1998 Again renamed in LJUBLJANA.
2002 Sold to Fair Hope Shipping Co.Ltd., renamed in TIMBERLAND, under Malta flag and registry.
October 2002 under United Kingdom flag and registry not renamed.
March 2003 sold to Navalmar Transportes Maritimes, Italy, under Ireland flag and registry renamed in OLINDA CASTLE.
February 2006 under St Vincent and Grenadines flag and registry.
15 February 2009 arrived at Alang, India she was sold for US$ 265 per ton for breaking up.

Source: Marine News. http://www.miramarshipindex
Slovenia 2018 1.15 Euro sgMS? Scott?

THALIA

Austria issued one stamp and a miniature sheet in 2018 to celebrate the Day of the stamps, the Austrian Post gives the following by the issue:
This year’s stamp to celebrate the Day of the Stamp 2018 is dedicated to the province of Carinthia and shows impressions from around the Wörthersee.
Every year Austrian Post issues a commemorative stamp for the Day of the Stamp, the 1.44 Euro supplement on which is used to promote philately. Since 2010 the stamp has been dedicated to a different Austrian province each year, and in 2018 the philatelic tour of the country is being brought to a close by Carinthia. This year’s stamp shows cultural highlights and tourist attractions from Carinthia. To celebrate 500 years of Klagenfurt as the capital city of the province, well-known attractions from Klagenfurt, such as the Wörtherseemandl, the Lindwurm or the Landhaus, adorn the border of the minisheet. The first day of issue will be 25th May 2018, during ÖVEBRIA 2018 in Klagenfurt.
Impressions of Carinthia
Thanks to its diversity of nature and attractive surroundings, the Wörthersee is one of the most popular tourist areas in Austria. Carinthia’s largest lake owes its name to the municipality of Maria Wörth, which is located on a peninsula on the lake’s southern shore.
At the highest point of the peninsula sits the picturesque Late Gothic pilgrimage church dedicated to Saints Primus and Felician. The interior of the church is dominated by the high altar with the image of the Mother of God and the magnificent Baroque pulpit. The church complex also includes the smaller Winter or Rosary church, set somewhat lower than the parish church, which is famous for its selenite or Maria glass window and its Romanesque frescoes.
The modern 100 metre-high transmission and observation tower on the Pyramidenkogel offers an outstanding panoramic view over the lake. The spectacular wood and steel building was constructed in 2013 to plans from the Klagenfurt architects Markus Klaura and Dietmar Kaden.
For an exceptional experience take a nostalgic trip on the lake on Austria’s last remaining screw steamship, the DS THALIA. The flagship of the Wörthersee shipping company was built in 1909 and was re-launched in 1988 following comprehensive restoration.
Source: https://www.wopa-plus.com/en/stamps/product/&pgid=44525

Built as a screw steamer, coal fired in 1909 by the Dresdner Maschinenfabrik and Shipyard Übigau under yard no 1036 for WSG Wörthsee Schiffahrt GmbH, Austria.
Displacement 132 ton, dim. 38.5 x 5.5m.
Powered by a compound 2-cyl.steam engine, 150 hp.
Accommodation for 400 passengers.
She was disassembled and shipped to a shipyard near Pritschitz where she was completed in 1909 as the THALIA.

Used in a passenger service on lake Wörthsee in Austria.
1913 Taken over by Klagenfurt Town Council
1964 A new boiler placed, and also fitted out from coal to oil firing.
1974 Taken out of service after a breakdown and laid up by a shipyard in Klagenfurt.
To save her from scrapping 1 million Euro was collected, and the engine was overhauled by SGV yard in Lucerne, Switzerland, aluminium superstructures built by a shipyard in Novi Sad and after extensive restoration from December 1986 till June 1988 she was back in service from 2 July 1988 and mostly used for sightseeing tours on the lake.
She is now one of the last steamboats on the lake and the only screw steamer in the country.

Passenger accommodation for 280 persons.
2018 THALIA is still in service.

Source: Steamships of Europe by Alistair Deayton and Wikipedia.
Austria 2018 2.88 + 1.44 Euro sg?, scott? and a MS sg?, scott?

GALLEASS

Galleass were ships developed from large merchant galleys. Converted for military use they were higher, larger and slower than regular ("light") galleys. They had up to 32 oars, each worked by up to 5 men. They usually had three masts and a forecastle and aftcastle. Much effort was made in Venice to make these galleasses as fast as possible to compete with regular galleys. The gun-deck usually ran over the rowers' heads, but there are also pictures showing the opposite arrangement.
Galleasses usually carried more sails than true galleys, and were far deadlier; a galley caught broadside lay all but helpless, since coming broadside to a galleass, as with a ship of the line, exposed an attacker to her gunfire. Relatively few galleasses were built—one disadvantage was that, being more reliant on sails, their position at the front of the galley line at the start of a battle could not be guaranteed—but they were used at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571, their firepower helping to win victory for the Holy League fleet, and some sufficiently seaworthy galleasses accompanied the Spanish Armada in 1588 (e.g. La GIRONA). In the 15th century a type of light galleass, called the frigate, was built in southern European countries to answer the increasing challenge posed by the north African based Barbary pirates in their fast galleys.
In the Mediterranean, with its less dangerous weather and fickle winds, both galleasses and galleys continued to be in use, particularly in Venice and the Ottoman Empire, long after they became obsolete elsewhere. Later, "round ships" and galleasses were replaced by galleons and ships of the line which originated in Atlantic Europe. The first Venetian ship of the line was built in 1660.
In the North Sea and western Baltic, the term refers to small commercial vessels similar to a flat-sterned herring Buss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galleass
Guinea 2002 750f sg?, scott 2067.

HISTORY OF MARITIME MAIL: COLOMBIA

History of the mail transport, Colombia issued five stamps in 1966, which shows us mail transport packages and the ships which transported this mails.

5c: Shows us a Spanish galleon of the 16th century. At that time the name “galleon” was given to Spanish vessels that set sail annually from Spain to Cartagena with supplies and returning with silver and gold and other precious merchandise from Peru. Also the mail was carried in both directions.

15c: Shows us a “brigantine” of 1850 from Riohacha an town on the Caribbean coast of Colombia, I can’t find a harbour that vessel have to discharge and load at anchor on the road. The brigantine is a small sailing vessel mainly from the 17th till the 19th century. Two masted with a rig with square sails set on both masts from the late 17th century.

20c: Shows us a “canoa” from Uraba, two masted used in the Gulf of Uraba and the Caribbean coast. The “canoa” is a plank extended dugout with sharp raked ends. Outboard rudder; long tiller. Set two boomed leg of mutton sails and a large staysail.(the stamp shows more a schooner type sail). The “canoa” is now mostly motorized. Have been a few times in the Gulf of Uraba loading bananas at anchor but I never have seen a canoa only barges which brought the pallets with bananas from somewhere out of a creek on the coast.

40c: The stamp shows us a stern-wheeler paddle steamer, pushing a barge on the Magdalena River in 1900, the steamer is not identified. The first sternwheelers were invented in Europe but they saw the most service in America, especially on the Mississippi.
The Magdalena River. (Commonly known Rio Grande de la Magdalena) is the principal river of Colombia, flowing northward about 1,528 kilometers (949 mi) through the western half of the country. It takes its name from the biblical figure Mary Magdalene. It is navigable through much of its lower reaches, in spite of the shifting sand bars at the mouth of its delta, as far as Honda, at the downstream base of its rapids. It flows through the Magdalena River Valley.
In 1825, the Congress of Colombia awarded a concession to establish steam navigation in the Magdalena River to Juan Bernardo Elbers, but his company closed shortly after. By 1845, steamboats regularly travelled on the river until 1961, when the last steamers ceased operation.

50c: Shows us a modern motor ship, she has a king post mast near the bow, and by comparing photos of Colombian ships only one group of ships has this mast. The ships belong to the Flota Mercante Grancolombiana and are the CIUDAD DE PASTO, CIUDAD DE GUAYAQUIL, CIUDAD DE PEREIRA and CIUDAD DE ARMENIA built by Empresa Nacional Elcano, Seville, Spain between 1958 and 1960. Tonnage around 5279 GRT. The design on the stamp is not exact, the third mast before the accommodation block is missing, but I believe the designer has used a photo of one of this ships for his design. All four ships were scrapped between 1981 and 1984. The photo of the class is of the CIUDAD DE PEREIRA.

Colombia 1966 5c/50c sg 1171/75, scott?
Source: Wikipedia. Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of World’s Watercraft. http://www.miramarshipindex.nz

DOUALA PORT

The 1955 200f stamp and 1961 stamp Republique Federal shows us freighters in Douala port and In 1968 Cameroun issued five stamps for the “Five Year Development”, of which the 60F stamp shows us Douala port, with moored alongside a tug and some cargo vessels. On both stamps depicted vessels are not identified.

The town of Douala is situated in the estuary of the Wouri River, 50 km from the sea. It is an area of commercial activity since the 19th century when works were carried on there to permit trade between the coastal dwellers and traders from Hamburg and Bremen.
As per certain sources, the area was first developed by a German sailing company the “Woerman Line” in 1881. At that time it was only an anchorage and ships discharged on the river in barges. With the beginning of the First World War that saw an end to the German presence in Cameroun. Access to the port of Douala was made possible for ships with 4.0 metres draft. The infrastructure consists of a wharf of 60 metres, with warehouses, seven private jetties, ware-houses are connected by a road of 60 meters. Bonabéri at this time, will be served by a pier 100 meters long, with ware-houses. Well-equipped workshops and a floating dock of 900 tons. Annual traffic capacity is evaluated at 100 000 tonnes. After the Germans surrendered, the first objectives of the French who henceforth became the masters extended the railway and equipped the Port of Douala. Extension works stopped in 1922. They at the same time organized activities that cantered on specialized services of Ports and inland navigable ways under the colonial public works. That saw the beginning of the slow but sure setting up of institutions under French Administration.
At independence in 1960, this department became the Department of Ports for Navigable Ways under the Ministry of Transport.

Source: Douala Port website.
Cameroun 1953 200f sg262, scott C36, 1961 10/ sg?, scott? and 1968 60f sg494, scott?

DELTUVA

The Colombian Post issued in 2018 a miniature sheet with images from Barranquilla, of which one stamp shows us the Barranquilla port with a cargo vessel.

The cargo vessel is the DELTUVA the name is visible on the bow when you enlarge the stamp.
Built as a cargo vessel under yard No b570-1/1 by Stocznia Szczecinska Nowa Z O.O. New Szczecin Shipyard in Szczecin, Poland for Clipper Eagle Shipping Ltd., Nassau, Bahamas,
09 July 1994 launched as the CLIPPER EAGLE.
Tonnage 11,542 grt, 5,366 net, 16,906 dwt, dim. 149,44 x 23.00 x 12.10m., length bpp. 138.0m, draught 6.10m.
Powered by a one 4S50MC 4-cyl. diesel engine, manufactured bu H. Cegielski, 5,720 kW. One fixed pitch propeller. Speed 14 knots.
Four holds. Two cranes each 20.0 ton lifting capacity.
Capacity, grain 21,307m², bale 21,043m².
04 October 1994 completed. IMO No 8908832.

2007 Sold to Lithuanian Shipping Co. Klaipeda, Lithuania, renamed in DELTUVA.
2016 After the Lithuanian Shipping Co, got bankrupt during a public auction the DELTUVA was bought by Pirita Shipholding Co., Geneva, Switserland, renamed PIRITA under Antigua& Barbuda flag and registry.
15 June 2017 PIRITA arrived Chittagong, Bangladesh for scrapping.

Colombia 2018 $5.000 sg?, scott? and miniature sheet al $5.000 stamps.
Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz and internet.

FAKHR EL BIHAR Royal yacht

For a meeting between King Farouk of Egypt and King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia in 1945 at Radhwa the Saudi Arabian Post issued four stamps. The stamps are not so clear, but the vessel on the left top is the Egyptian Royal yacht FAKHR EL BIHAR on which the meeting took place.

Built as a steel hulled yacht under yard No 268 by Ramage & Ferguson, Leith, Scotland for H.H. Prince Youssouf Kamal, Alexandria, Egypt.
09 September 1930 launched as the NAZ-PERWER.
Tonnage 708 grt, 251nrt, 1.051 tm, dim. 75.98 x 9.75 x 4.98m.
Powered by two 4S.C.SA 8-cyl. oil engines, manufactured by Friedrich Krupp A.G., Kiel, 384 nhp.
Schooner rigged.
December 1930 completed.

1940 Sold to King Farouk of Egypt and renamed in FAKHR EL BIHAR.
24 January 1945 King Farouk visited King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia. The meeting between the two kings took place in Radhwa on board of the FAKHR EL BIHAR.
1949 Sold to the Egyptian Government and renamed El QUOSSEIR. Used by the Egyptian Naval Academy as training ship.
2018 In service same name and managed by the Egyptian Navy.

Source Log Book 3/70 and internet.
Saudi Arabia 1945 ½ to 10g scott 173/76
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Ship Stamps Collection

The full index of our ship stamp archive
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
PreviousNext

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], HarryMaxuell and 43 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron