ROMARIS L404: Given as a inter island passenger ferry and cargo vessel in 1942. Not any more information or details on her.

Montserrat 1998 $3,50 sg 796, scott 720 and $3.50 + $2.50 sg 803, scott?

GHE GIA of Quang-Tri

GHE GIA: A fishing vessel used in the province Quang-Tri, Vietnam, she is small boat, which mostly sails in large fleets while fishing with a drifting net.
She are very seaworthy in often very rough seas on this coast.
Built with a narrow beam, and the use of a hiking board made this crafts almost uncapsizable.
The floor timbers are in flat sections on the bottom and angled on the bilges. The futtocks are canted to match the body plan of the planking.
The fastening of the planks of the hull are with iron boat spikes.

This first appears north of the Col de Nuages. The planks are fastened through their edges by the use of large spikes driven laterally into triangular notches and holes drilled with a bow drill, all on the interior of the vessel. Everything is then puttied.

The rig has two sails in “la buon” with a very long yard and boom spread them on the relatively short masts. The boom and the yard, of the same dimensions, are both seven meters long, for a height of at least five meters on the main mast.
The advantage of these sails is that they are easy to brace in order to obtain a large leeway surface necessary for drift net fishing.
The use of bowlines (ed note: to control the leading edge of the sail) is constant, and the hiking board is run out to windward, at the slightest breeze.
The masts can be raked fore or aft and the shrouds are set up with large wooden thimbles and lanyards to holes bored through the frame heads.
Let us mention that this boat, during fresh breezes, uses a stay rigged to the stem at the very end of the vessel. Because of the length of the sail, the yard takes on a rounded shape, very typical.
The lack of centreboard and the slender shapes of the boat indicate that this craft can only sail before the wind.

Source: Coped from the book “Sailboats of Indochina by J.B. Piétri.
Vietnam 1989 30d sg1287, scott 1943.


Two stamps were issued by Yemen People’s Democratic Republic in 1988 for the 100th anniversary of Aden Port. The 75f stamp shows dhows and cargo vessels in the old port in 1888, while the 500f stamp shows us the new port of Aden with diverse cargo vessels.

The Port of Aden rests on an ancient natural harbour in the crater of an extinct volcano that forms the peninsula that protects the harbour. Aden was first mentioned in historical records in the Old Testament Book of Ezekiel as a trading partner with Tyre. The harbour was first used between the 5th and 7th Centuries B.C. by the Kingdom of Awsan.
Being about the same distance from Mumbai (Bombay) and Zanzibar, the ancient Port of Aden was a way-station for sea-going vessels and people. They stopped there to get supplies, particularly fresh water.
Arab historians describe the first fortifications in the Port of Aden to Beni Zuree'a who built the structures to protect the village from its enemies and to control the movement of goods in the area in order to prevent smuggling. The original fortifications were rebuilt in 1175 AD.
The Port of Aden is an ancient seaport. Marco Polo and Ibn Battutu visited the port in the 11th and 12th Centuries. The Chinese Emperor from the Ming Dynasty sent an envoy with gifts to the King of Aden in 1421.
In the 19th Century, it was an important ship fuelling port for steamers. After the Suez Canal opened, the Port of Aden became one of the busiest ship-bunkering, duty-free shopping, and trading ports in the world.
In 1838, the British took the Port of Aden and over 19 thousand hectares in the state of Lahej from Sultan Muhsin bin Fadl. In 1839, the British East India Company and Royal Marines occupied the territory to stop attacks by pirates who were assailing British ships going to India. The British also used the Port of Aden as a station for replenishing coal and boiler water. The British held the Port of Aden until 1967.
Until 1937, the Port of Aden was considered part of British India and was called the Aden Settlement. In 1937, the settlement was separated from India, becoming the British Crown Colony of Aden. The Port of Aden was also a distribution point for mail between British colonies. After the British lost the Suez Canal in 1956, the Port of Aden became the main British base for the region.
Under British rule, the Port of Aden was a tanker port that served British Petroleum Aden and offered amenities to British crews and refinery workers. Thousands of skilled workers and labourers were imported to build and operate the refinery. Much of the housing that was created for the workers is home to wealthy locals today. The British also housed troops in the Port of Aden to protect the refinery.
Facing pressure from the Soviet Union-backed communists in North Yemen, the British tried to prepare the different states under their control for independence. The Port of Aden colony was made part of the Federation of Arab Emirates of the South in 1963 under opposition from the North Yemen communists who claimed the city and region. Later, the region was renamed the Federation of South Arabia (FSA).
In 1963, resistance to British rule began with the Aden Emergency, a grenade attack on the British High Commissioner by the communist National Liberation Front (NLF). A state of emergency was declared in response. While the British announced their intention to make the FSA independent by 1968, they would leave British military units in the Port of Aden. Tensions continued to rise.
Riots broke out in the Port of Aden in 1967 between the NLF and the rival Front for the Liberation of Occupied South Yemen. Fighting continued for several weeks despite British intervention. Both sides attacked British troops throughout the conflict, and an airplane was destroyed mid-air with no survivors. The British left the area in late 1967, and the NLF was in control.
In 1970, the Port of Aden became the capital of the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen. British Petroleum turned the oil refinery and tanker port in the Port of Aden over to the Yemeni government in 1977.
When the Suez Canal was closed in the 1970s, traffic through the Port of Aden declined. New quays were built in the 1980s to improve its competitive position and meet the demands of the changing marine trade industry. By the end of the 1980s, the Port of Aden had capacity to handle all types of dry cargo and modern containers.
When north and south Yemen were united in 1990, the Port of Aden became the capital of the Aden Governate but not of the nation. Since the 1990s, ports in Yemen are undergoing rapid privatization, increased investment, and growing manufacturing output. In 1998/99, the Port of Aden reached an all-time record for containerized cargo, with over 100 thousand TEUs passing through the port.
In 1992, the first recorded attack by Al Qaeda occurred with the bombing of the Gold Mohur Hotel in the Port of Aden. For a short time in 1994, the Port of Aden was the center of the secessionist Democratic Republic of Yemen. In 2000, the Port of Aden was the site of an Al Qaeda attempt to bomb the USS THE SULLIVANS, but the attacking boat sank and the plan was aborted. Later that year, the bombing of the USS COLE succeeded. ... en_214.php
Yemen `People’s Democratic Republic 1988 75/500f sg408/09, scott?

ARGO replica 1984

The epic poem Argonautica, first written down by Apollonius of Rhodes in Alexandria in the late 3rd century BC, became the basis for Tim Severin's next expedition. He began his research into ancient Greek ships and the details of the text in 1981. Master shipwright Vasilis Delimitros of Spetses, Greece hand built a 54-foot (16.5 m) x 2.74 x 0.91m. (draught) replica of a Bronze Age galley based on a detailed scale model of the ARGO. Not a nail was used. The galley was rowed by 20 rowers, and when sufficient wind sailed, one mast, square sail.

In 1984, with twenty volunteer oarsmen, Severin rowed and sailed from northern Greece through the Dardanelles, crossed the Marmara Sea, and passed through the Straits of Bosphorus to the Black Sea, reaching the Phasis delta in then-Soviet Georgia—a voyage of 1,500 miles (2,400 km). Along the way they identified many of the landmarks visited by Jason and his Argonauts, and found a likely explanation for the legend of the Golden Fleece. Severin recounted the expedition in The Jason Voyage (1985).
The fate of the replica ARGO I can’t find.

Source: Wikipedia
Suriname 2018 A class mail sg?, scott?

KIM G Inter Island cargo vessel.

KIM G an Inter Island cargo vessel under construction in Montserrat, have not any information on the vessel.

Montserrat 1989 $1.50 sg 795, scott 719. And $1.50 + $ 2.50 sg 812, scott?

TANKER (stylized)

Angola issued in 1990 two stamps for the 10th Anniversary of SADCC, the 9k stamp depict an oil tanker which is loading oil from an oil platform in sea. The drawing of the tanker is stylized.

Of the platform and tanker I have not any information. Wikipedia gives for SADC or SADCC: ... _Community

Angola 1990 9k sg921, scott 776.

Thames Sailing Barges

Thames Sailing barge handy, seaworthy vessel that carried bulk cargoes in the shoal waters of the Thames Estuary area. Evolved in hull design and rigging from the 16th century, but by the mid-19th century, had become relatively standardized with sub-types designed for special cargoes and local conditions. Working vessels extinct since the 1950s, but some have been restored as pleasure and charter vessels. Majority constructed of wood, although some larger barges were of iron (the iron pots), Flat bottom; chines softened toward the ends; no keel but strong keelson; wall-sided, narrowing forward and aft to about one-third the extreme width; sharp, vertical stem (see also swim-headed barge); transom stern; very low freeboard. Undecked until the early 19th century; then decked with the main hatch abaft the mast; a 2nd hatch forward, both leading to the single hold; aft cabin with raised roof for skipper; crew accommodated in forepeak; low bulwarks. Large, broad leeboards with block and chain tackle falls that led to steersman; tiller until 1800s, then wheel; large, strong rudder. Primary rig was a sprit mainsail with a heavy sprit (spritsail barge);sail brailed to mast and worked by a winch; sprit might serve as a cargo boom. Some set a large square sail forward of the mainmast. Short mainmast stepped in tabernacle, about one-third from the stem. Working topsail to a long topmast, remained aloft(the topsail barge); one with no topsail was called a stumpy barge. A small mizzenmast, also in a tabernacle, was stepped just aft; set a boomed spritsail with its sheet rove through a block on the rudder to aid in heading up into the wind; earlier tiller-operated vessels stepped the mizzenmast against the rudderhead. Those with a boomed, standing gaff mizzen and somewhat smaller mainsail were called mulies, mulie barges, or overland barges; mast forward of the wheel. Two headsails, 3 if the vessel carried a bowsprit; the staysail barge hed no bowsprit. Except for the jib and fore topmast staysail, sails were tanned russet, black, or yellow after the 1st year. One type, the boomy, was gaffrigged. Most had a crew of 2; largest might use 4.Reported lengths 12-31m; e.g., length 24m, beam 5.7m, molded depth 2m; shallow draft. The design stamp is made after painting of William Lionel Wyllie:” Thames Sailing Barges” . Look at his other picture.

Uganda 1998; 3000s;Ms. Source: A Dictionary of the world’s Watercraft from Aak to Zumbra.

Ship Stamps Collection

The full index of our ship stamp archive
  • Topics
    Last post

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum