SALT KETTLE painting

Bermuda issued in 1990 four stamps with paintings showing Bermudian scenes, the 60c has a maritime theme and shows us the Salt Kettle building with on the left of the stamp a sailing watercraft and moored near the Kettle House a few other sailing vessels. The painting is made by Prosper Senat in 1916.

Prosper Senat (1852-1925) was born in America and eventually settled in England where he died. We know of three dates when he visited Bermuda. The view of Salt Kettle (painted from the same vantage point as the famed Winslow Homer watercolour) was painted in 1916. The quality of light is particularly rich, and suggestive of a passing squall. How many Bermuda works he executed is unknown. The Masterwork Foundation has been able to secure two originals; one watercolour and one gouache.

Source: ... s-part-ii/
Bermuda 1990 60c sg 609, scott ?


Grenada issued in 1990 a set of stamps and a miniature sheet of $3 and a MS, both where issued for the 800th anniversary of the port of Hamburg.

The $3 stamp shows us a feeder coaster she is till so far not identified.

The $6 miniature sheet shows us two sailing vessels of the 13th century, both have been not identified in front of the port of Hamburg, on the River Elbe.

Grenada 1990 $3 and $6 sg 2079 and sgMS2119, scott 1796 and 1799

SAN CRISTOBAL carrack 1525

The SAN CRISTOBAL was a new vessel, most probably a caravel and most probably at that time built in Panama, and she was chartered by Pizarro for his expedition in 1525.It is given that she was built for Vasco Nunez se Balboa but when he dies in 1519, she was laid up.
Francisco Pizarro made 3 expeditions which, sailed from Panama, directed him towards the south to finally reach and conquer the Inca Empire.
In 1524, Francisco Pizarro together with Diego de Almagro and Hernando de Luque founded "La Compañía del Levante”.

The first trip of Francisco Pizarro
The first expedition left Panama with two ships, the SANTIAGO and the SAN CRISTÓBAL. The SANTIAGO went to the Perlas Islands to continue along the coast until it reached a point they called Puerto de Hambre because the supplies they had on board were finished there. The lack of food made Francisco Pizarro send back the SANTIAGO to the Perlas Islands in search of supplies.
The trip resumed at the beginning of the year 1525. They continued towards the south until they arrived at the Fort of the Cacique de las Piedras where the expedition was attacked by the natives, finally returning to Chochama .
During the return of Pizarro to Chochama, the SAN CRISTÓBAL, with Diego de Almagro, had travelled from Panama to reach the Fort of Cacique de las Piedras where they were also attacked by the Indians. In that confrontation Diego de Almagro lost an eye after being hit by an arrow. In retaliation he burned Fort of Cacique de las Piedras.
After returning to Chochama and meeting Francisco Pizarro, the first expedition ended.
The second trip of Francisco Pizarro
In October of 1526, Francisco Pizarro and Diego de Almagro left to the south with the SANTIAGO and the SAN CRISTÓBAL. At the end of July of 1527 the expedition reached the bay of San Mateo to continue to the island of Gallo. At this moment one of the key moments of the expedition took place after Francisco Pizarro stayed on the island with part of the crew and sent the two ships to Panama with Diego de Almagro and Juan Carballo.
At the end of September 1527, the two ships, led by Juan Tafur, returned to the island of Gallo with the mission entrusted by Pedro de los Ríos, governor of Panama, to pick up Francisco Pizarro and the rest of the crew that had remained on the island and take them back to Panama. At that moment, Francisco Pizarro drew his sword, drew a line in the sand and said to his men: "On this side you are going to Panama to be poor, for this to Peru to be rich, choose what is good Castilian what I'd rather be him" Thirteen were the men who crossed the line drawn by Francisco Pizarro. Juan Tafur moved Francisco Pizarro and the thirteen to Gorgona Island, while the rest continued on to Panama.
The thirteen who stayed with Francisco Pizarro, called "The thirteen knights of the island of Gallo" or "The thirteen of fame”, were (arranged alphabetically by last name):
Pedro Alcón, Alonso Briceño, Pedro de Candia, Antonio Carrión, Francisco de Cuéllar, García Jerén, Alonso Molina, Martín Paz, Cristóbal de Peralta, Nicolás de Rivera (the old man), Bartolomé Ruiz, Domingo de Soraluce and 'Juan de la Torre and Díaz Chacón’.
After spending six months on Gorgona Island, in March 1528 the pilot Ruiz returned to pick up Francisco Pizarro, who convinced him to continue the journey south until they reached Tumbes , which he called Nueva Valencia , the first important city that they had met.
Before returning to Panama with the conviction of having found the Inca Empire, the Tahuantinsuyo, continued traveling south until reaching the mouth of the Santa Clara River.

The third trip of Francisco Pizarro.
On this expedition the SAN CRISTÓBAL is not more mentioned.
The third expedition departed in January 1531 from Panama. They advanced through the Coaque region, an area in which the cacique Tumbalá invited them to Puná Island, where Francisco Pizarro confirmed that the Inca Empire was in a civil war.
In January of 1532 they arrived at Tumbes, and from there they continued to Poechos. Later, in the Chira Valley, Francisco Pizarro founded on 15 May / July 1532 San Miguel , the first Spanish city in the Inca territory, where a garrison of 60 men remained.
In September of 1532, 110 men of infantry and 67 of cavalry under the command of Francisco Pizarro continued his way towards the south. After advancing along the coast, they arrived in Cajamarca on November 15, 1532. Francisco Pizarro sent for dinner that night to Atahualpa, who accepted the invitation but not for that day but for the next day, November 16, 1532, date in which Pizarro takes him prisoner and confined him in a room in Cajamarca .
Later, after appointing Inca Túpac Hualpa, brother of Atahualpa, he continued to El Cusco, the capital of the Inca Empire, which he finally occupied in November 1533.

Source: http://www.historiadelascivilizaciones. ... zarro.html
Peru 1936 2c sg 567, scott 343.

SANTA ROSA lake steamer 1903

The vessel depict on this stamp is given by Watercraft Philately as the SANTA ROSA on Lake Llanquihue, Chile.

In the year 1902 a group of people from Puerto Varas, Chile formed a partnership with the purpose of building a steamship to be used for service on Lake Llanquihue. The company was founded on 11 September 1902, which traded under the corporate name of "Sociedad Klenner, Niklitscheck and Company"; its initial capital was $ 50,000 and it consisted of 65 members. The new steamship, which was given the name of "SANTA ROSA was built by the firm Behrens, at Valdivia, and being the first steamship which was built entirely of iron on the lake. Its dimensions were 28 meters in length with a capacity of 80 tons; Fitted out with two masts, yards and sails which on her first voyages were used to increase her speed, later the sails were removed, because they were constantly exposed to the sparks coming from the funnel of the boilers that were fed with firewood, her capacity was 80 passengers The SANTA ROSA when completed was moved unrigged from Valdivia to Puerto Montt by sea. The transport overland from this city to the lake was not easy, because the road was narrow and in many parts with steep slopes that only with good oxen it was possible to overcome the transport problems.
It took several days for the transport over the road to reach finally her destination, in Puerto Chico, where she was rerigged and fitted out.
On 13 December1903, the SANTA ROSA was able to make her maiden voyage between Puerto Varas and Puerto Octay. It was a very scenic trip using steam engines and sails. In the middle of the journey, the ship suffered engine failure of a vital part of the machine, and was towed to port for repair.
The SANTA ROSA had several owners in a few years. The company was modified; some partners withdrew and others joined. The new company, which revolved with the name "José Matzner and others", was constituted in the month of November 1910. It keeps this name for three years.
January 1914 the company was acquired by Mr. Cristino Haase. The two wharves and warehouses that the company owned in Puerto Varas and Puerto Octay were also transferred with the steamship.
In 1915, Mr. Haase sold the SANTA ROSA to Mr. Augusto Minte and the value of the transaction amounted to $ 40,000, including some spare parts such as the propeller and others.
In September of the year 1918 it was acquired by Mr. Carlos Heim, after which the SANTA ROSA sailed without interruption until 1938 the year in which she underwent repairs and general modernizations. The machines were removed for a complete overhaul. The SANTA ROSA was lengthened to 36 meters. It was also modernized with accommodations for 150 passengers and adapted mainly for the service of tourists in comfortable and luxurious cabins. Also it was fitted out for the transport of all sorts of cargo in large holds.
Among his illustrious passengers, the Argentine Cardinal, Monsignor José L. Coppelo, is remembered. This representative of the Holy See, in his capacity as "papal delegate", on Sunday 02 November 1941, embarked in Ensenada to Puerto Varas accompanied by a select delegation.
From Buenos Aires, via San Carlos de Bariloche, he went to Santiago, to participate in the Eucharistic Congress of that year.
The "Santa Rosa" sailed until 1945, when she was sold; it was intended to unrig her and move it to Puerto Montt to put it in service between Puerto Montt and Puerto Aysen.
Out of service she remained half unrigged in Puerto Varas until a strong storm threw her on the beach where her last remains were abandoned.

Chile 1938 1.80p sg 275, scott206.

Sailing ships in the painting of Christoph Blossom

In 2010 Somalia issued a small sheet dedicated to the marine paintings of the artist Christopher Blossom.
Christopher Blossom
When a child has a father and grandfather who are both well known illustrators, it is likely the offspring will also become an artist. And when a boy starts to sail at the age of six, it is also likely that the artist might choose the sea and sailing ships as his subject. Such was the case for Christopher Blossom, who, by the time he left the Parsons School of Design and Robert Bourke’s Design Studio, could visualize a finished boat from only its plans—and draw the craft from any angle. Before Blossom was twenty, he had sailed under square rig aboard the brigantine Young America. Known for his complex, detailed compositions of ships at sea, Blossom combines his appreciation for the beauty and the menace of the sea with his love of maritime history and ship construction. Before Blossom paints a vessel, he is likely to study the ship’s blueprint to learn about it hull design, length, tonnage and deck layout. Blossom’s historically accurate ships and harbors are combined with color, light and composition to capture the mood of a voyage and convey the essence of the seafaring experience. At the age of twenty, he won a Gold Medal at the Society of Illustrators Scholarship Exhibition. His dual vocation of experiencing the sea and then painting both nautical history and some of the greatest modern places to sail, was truly launched. Blossom became both a charter member and an artist of the American Society of Marine Artists, serving as its president from 1983 to 1986. His awards include a Gold Medal from the National Academy of Western Art for his painting of ships in Monterey. Saluted as an undisputed master, Blossom has exhibited his art at the Gilcrease Museum, the Colorado Museum of History, the prestigious Prix de West Invitational and the Artists of America show. Blossom continues to achieve artistic honors including the Robert Lougheed Memorial Award at the 2001 Prix de West. Almost the only time he isn’t painting is when he is sailing, visiting ports of call in Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, the Bahamas, California and Washington state. Blossom, who recently spent a year sailing around the Caribbean with his wife and two sons says of his love, "It’s not a hobby, it’s a way of life. When I look at the ocean, I get the same feeling pilots must get when they look to the sky." On the sheetlet shows the pictures:
1."Morning Star", Hudon´s Bay, 1864- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12594.
2. Among the rolling brakers.
3. "Allerton" on the East river- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16277.
4. "Benjamin Sewall" arriving in San Francisco Bay- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12580.
5. Boston Navy Yard- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16276.
6. "Arthur James" heading out-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16282.
7. Before the gale.
8. "Cutting in" in the Arctic.
Somalia 2010;(2500x8)Ms ... ype=artist


The stamp shows us Gorey Harbour on Jersey with in the background Mont Orgueil Castle, in the foreground a wooden hulled fishing boat under sail and two rowing boats around 1795.
They is one of a set of stamps issued by Jersey, all are designed after paintings made by Sarah Louisa Kolpac ... sa_Kilpack

Jersey 1989 13p sg 512, scott ?

SANTIAGO carrack or nao (1570)

In 1971 Portugal issued three stamps for the IV Centenary of the Martyr Missionaries of Brasil all three stamps have the same design, with in the top the SANTIAGO a carrack (also given as a nao) from around 1570, who transported the missionaries to Brasil. The group of missionaries was headed by Inacio de Azevedo, and Wikipedia has the following on this missionary, and the voyage to Brasil.

Blessed Inácio de Azevedo (1527–1570) was a Portuguese Jesuit missionary.

His life
His full name was Inácio de Azevedo de Ataíde e Abreu Malafaia and he was born in Porto from a wealthy family, being the eldest son of Dom Manuel de Azevedo and Dona Francisca de Abreu. One of his brothers, Dom Jerónimo de Azevedo, was Viceroy of Portuguese India from 1612 to 1617.
He was educated at the Portuguese court of King John III and at the age of 18 he became administrator of his family's estate. However, after attending the sermons and speeches of Jesuit priest Francisco Estrada he decided to renounce all his possessions, including the feudal honra of Barbosa, in the northern Portuguese province of Entre Douro e Minho
In 1548 he made an irrevocable choice of a religious life and entered the Society of Jesus where he was finally ordained in 1553. In 1565 Saint Francis Borgia charged him with full powers for the inspection of the Jesuit missions in the Portuguese colony of Brazil, a task that took him nearly 3 years to accomplish. He arrived in Bahia in August, 1566 and he proceeded to visit all the Jesuit missions in Brazil. He nominated Father Manuel da Nóbrega Provincial for Brazil and with Nóbrega and Blessed José de Anchieta he visited the missions in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro whose foundations were then being laid. He thus spent two years of his life in Brazil.
In October 1568 he was back in Lisbon and in May 1569 he proceeded to Rome to report to Pope Pius V and Saint Francis Borgia. In his final report, Inácio de Azevedo asked for more people to be sent to the missions and Saint Francis Borgia thus ordered him to recruit new elements for the Jesuits in Brazil. Then, after several months of intense preparations that included meetings with King Sebastian of Portugal, Azevedo and his companions finally left Portugal for Brazil on the merchant vessel SANTIAGO on 5 June 1570, while another group of more than 20 companions boarded the military fleet of the newly appointed Governor General of Brazil.
During the trip to Brazil, on July 15, 1570 while sailing near the Canary Islands, the Santiago was attacked and captured by a fleet led by French Huguenot corsair Jacques de Sores off Fuencaliente Lighthouse. Following the capture, Azevedo and his 39 companions were massacred.

The Forty Martyrs of Brazil were blessed by Pope Pius IX on 11 May 1854. In 1999 40 concrete crosses at the place of martyrdom, about 200 ft off the Fuencaliente lighthouse were placed on the seabed by the government of the island La Palma. This place is situated in a depth of about 20 meters and is today a popular diving destination. Adjacent to the old tower, another monument for the Forty Martyrs of Brazil has been erected in the October 2014. This monument is a stone cross, with a plate on which the names of the martyrs are engraved.

Portugal 1971 1e, 3.30e and 4.80e sg?, scott 1116/18.

View unanswered posts

Return to advanced search

  • Topics
    Last post

Return to advanced search