Perahu buatan barat

«Perahu buatan barat»(Boat of east manufacture) of Peninsular Malaysia- undecked fishing boat of the east coast and adjacent Thailand.Double-ended; vertical cutwater,but above the the water line; stem and sternpost flare outward and extend upward as much as 1.5-1.8m. Plank-built on a dugout base, which forms a broad keel. A spar rest, often elaborately carved, extends outboard on the port side abaft the stem; in some areas, a similar piece extends out the starboard side and serves to secure the anchor. Boats collorfully painted. Boat building tradition is one of the skills mastered by Malay craftsmen. Decoration on the Perahu Buatan Barat, the Malay traditional boat is one of the uniqueness of the production of traditional boats in East Coast of Malaysia. The tradition of Malay boat building, each plank was given specific names based on the line of planks. There is one line called 'papan tarik' or 'papan cantik' was usually decorated with paintings by a variety of motifs and patterns from the bow to the stern of the boat. The motifs usually taken from the surrounding environment as well as flora and fauna will be painted with motifs repeated but with differing formations. The aim of this study is to identify the motifs and analyze the formation of motifs by using mathematical methods of frieze pattern. In the monsoon season, substitution of short, stumpy stem and sternpost permits better handling through the surf. Some have an aft-raking stick amidships to which the steering oar is affixed. Normally steps 2 masts, each setting a rectangular mat or canvas sail. Foremast stepped in the eyes, as is a single mast. Crew of 5-7, but some exceptionally large boats may employ 30 men. Reported lengths 9.8-10.4, beam ca. 1.83m, depth 0.76m; in northern Kelantan, only ca. 5.5m long.
Source: A Dictionary of the world’s Watercraft from Aak to Zumbra.

Perahu - traditional boats of Malaysia

In the Malay world, the word perahu in Malay/Indonesian language generally refers to water transportation regardless of its size. To differentiate the types of perahu, another word is added to the word perahu such as Perahu buatan barat, Perahu Payang, Perahu Burung and so on. Traditional perahu are boats without engines and may have sails. The sources of information on types of traditional Malay perahu can be found from the study of classical literature, museum exhibits, ethnography and samples which can still be seen along the coast. Perahu are decorated by painting or woodcarving. Today, a decorated perahu is usually used as fishing boats in the East Coast of the Malay Peninsular that is Terengganu, Kelantan and Southern Thailand. The motifs or themes of carvings or decorations are characters from wayang kulit (shadow puppet theatre), myths, legends, flora and fauna and usually in a stylised form. All four Malaysian boats, depicted on stamps, are from the East Coast and are attractive in terms of their traditional value. They are able to sail the open seas, each accommodating up to 20 people.Their unique shapes and colors are believed by some to have Patani influence. The decorations display unusual motifs depicting fishermen’s lives. Their use today has become limited following new technological advancements in fishing methods.On the boat is installed a decorative, carved out of wood asymmetrical form, called Bangau. The Вangau(stork) is a decorative guard placed on the port side of the boat. It is mainly a support where sails and fishing nets are hooked on to whenever the boat is not in use. Traditional Malays also believed the bangau to be the home for the spirit (semangat) of the boat to reside which brings luck during the catch and protects the fishermen from the vagaries of the sea and sea demons. Such an easy to please creature, i must say.For the kind of life preserving insurance it offers, it really should have claimed the whole vessel to itself instead of just the bangau, and call himself Davy Jones. The bangau is always heavily carved with typical Malay meandering awan larat design. The shorter end of the bangau, okok or ongkak that lies across the bow is attached to the keel acting as a prop to secure the anchor and counterbalancing the bangau. Bangau as a figureheads is installed on the Perahu Burung (Boat-Bird).
Source: and various web-sites.

SAO PAULO aircraft carrier


Brazil 2016 ? sg?, scott3337


30 the Anniversary of Cross Strait Exchange Postal Stamps.
Taiwan issued in 2017 two stamps, both stamps have stylized ferries on it.
In 1987 Taiwan permitted cross-Strait family reunions. This year marks 30 years of relations across the Taiwan Strait. Over these years there has been an expansion of postal, commercial, tourist and family contacts by air and sea. Likewise, educational, cultural and sporting exchanges have deepened. To commemorate this important historic milestone, Chunghwa Post is issuing a set of 2 stamps. The designs follow:

1. NT$9 stamp: With a white ring linking activities across the Strait, the stamp highlights air and sea links, as well as tourist, postal, academic and financial exchanges. The number “30” is placed in the center between the two sides of the Strait.

2. NT$28 stamp: A symbolic bridge depicts the building of cross-Strait relations. Greater ease for transport by air and sea has enabled people on both sides to come ever closer through tourist, academic, financial and cultural exchanges. The number “30” in the background contains a map of the Strait (of Taiwan) ... /index.jsp
Taiwan 2017 NT$9/$28 sg?, scott?


Only one stamp of this set Louisbourg Fortress has watercraft depict, all sailing vessels mostly under full sail very near to the coast which is strange, heading straight for the beach and will be running ashore in a few minutes. By this set of stamps is given:

This year is of special significance for both the Fortress and Town of Louisbourg. It marks the 275th anniversary of the official founding of the fortress; the 250th anniversary of the siege by the New Englanders; the 100th anniversary of the commemoration by the Society of Colonial Wars; and the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the Sydney and Louisbourg (S & L) Railway. The French did not regard Louisbourg only as a fortress. It existed as a centre of military and commercial activity. Louisbourg had great offensive strength when a powerful fleet was stationed within its harbour. The Bretons had established a fishing station on the island (named after them) by the early 1500s but had no thoughts of colonization. When a group of Scots did in 1629, the French razed their fort. Under the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht, France lost claims to Newfoundland and mainland Nova Scotia, but retained Isle Royal (Cape Breton). With England in possession of most of the eastern coast, France felt the need to construct a fortified naval station to protect her commerce and fisheries and maintain links into the St. Lawrence. About 160 persons arrived at Louisbourg in September 1713; many were relocated fishermen from Placentia Nfld. Some construction took place between 1713 and 1719, but major fortifications are usually dated as beginning in 1720. The site was not a commanding one, but it had both landward and seaward defences as well as harbour defence positions. Covering some 57 acres, Louisbourg was one of the strongest fortress on the Atlantic coast. It was also one of the busiest seaports on the continent after Boston, New York and Philadelphia. By 1744, the population was nearly 3,000 and in the 1750s the garrison increased to 3,500. For the New Englanders, Louisbourg was both a place of beneficial commerce and a serious threat to their interests. In May of 1744 Louisbourg learned that France and Britain were at war. New Englanders, alarmed by French attacks on mainland Nova Scotia, sailed for Louisbourg in 90 transports. Rather than launching a frontal assault, small parties were landed to the southwest. By nightfall 2,000 invading troops were ashore and within seven weeks, the New Englanders were within the walls of the fortress. Casualties were higher among the victors, and this was compounded when England delayed sending replacement troops and the weary and ill-equipped New Englanders were forced to spend the winter in Louisbourg. Despite the price of victory, the British gave Louisbourg back to France three years later. In 1749, French troops returned and the British garrison sailed for Halifax. During the Seven Years War, a very similar siege and capture took place. Under the command of British officers, the town was reduced to ruins, with few French guns remaining in action before the final surrender. The people were evacuated, and the British demolished the fortifications in 1760. The 1763 Treaty of Paris ceded Cape Breton to the British. Within 11 years, there were more British than French settlers in Louisbourg; by 1818, only 13 families dwelled there. For 100 years, Louisbourg has been linked with Sydney, Nova Scotia as a vital partner in the shipping of coal. When Sydney's harbour froze over in winter, Louisbourg's ice-free harbour provided the alternative. The existing narrow gauge railway line was replaced by a standard gauge line between Sydney and Louisbourg in 1895. Around 1767, Captain Samuel Holland, Surveyor General, erected a monument of cut stones at Louisbourg, in what may have been the first such commemoration in Canada. An 1895 ceremony focused attention on the site, and in 1928 the old town and much of the battlefield were declared a National Historic Site. In 1940, the status was raised when it became the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park.

Canada Post Corporation. Canada's Stamps Details, Vol 4, No. 3, 1995, p. 19-21.
Canada 1995 43c sg 1631/35, scott 1546/1551


Built in 1964-'65 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Ltd. Govan, Scotland, #830, for Union Steamship Co. of New Zealand, laid down 14-09-'64, launched 14-07-'65, commissioned 12-06-'66.
Completed by Fairfields (Glasgow) Ltd. on new contract signed 06-01-'66 following the collapse of the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. in October'65.
Ferry passenger/vehicles, Gt:8944, Nt:3951, Dw:1430, Loa:149m. (488') B:22m. (71') Depth:12.65m. (41'6") Draft:5.18m. (17') 4 boilers, 2 AEI turbo-alternators driving 2 AEI propulsion alternators:? hp. twin screw, 22 kn. 6 decks, complement:126, passengers daytime:1050, at night:927 in more than 300 1, 2, 3 and 4 persons cabins, 200 cars, IMO.6519584.
On 18-06-'66 she left Greenock, sailed via Panama Canal, arrived Wellington 24-07-'66, maiden voyage 01-08-'66 from Wellington to Lyttelton.

On the evening of 9 April 1968 she departed from Lyttelton for a routine overnight crossing, carrying 610 passengers and 123 crew.

Extreme weather conditions.
In the early morning of 10 April two violent storms merged over Wellington, creating a single extratropical cyclone that was the worst recorded in New Zealand's history. Cyclone Giselle was heading south after causing much damage in the north of the North Island. It hit Wellington at the same time as another storm that had driven up the West Coast of the South Island from Antarctica. The winds in Wellington were the strongest ever recorded. At one point they reached 275 kilometres per hour (171 mph) and in one Wellington suburb alone ripped off the roofs of 98 houses. Three ambulances and a truck were blown onto their sides when they tried to go into the area to rescue injured people.

As the storms hit Wellington Harbour, WAHINE was making her way out of Cook Strait on the last leg of her journey. Although there were weather warnings when she set out from Lyttelton, there was no indication that storms would be severe or any worse than those often experienced by vessels crossing the Cook Strait

At 05.50 hrs, with winds gusting at between 100 kilometres per hour (62 mph) and 155 kilometres per hour (96 mph) Captain Hector Gordon Robertson decided to enter harbour. Twenty minutes later the winds had increased to 160 kilometres per hour (99 mph), and she lost her radar. A huge wave pushed her off course and in line with Barrett Reef. Robertson was unable to turn her back on course, and decided to keep turning around and back out to sea.

For 30 minutes she battled into the waves and wind, but by 06.10 hrs she was not answering her helm and had lost control of her engines. At 0640 hrs she was driven onto the southern tip of Barrett Reef, near the harbour entrance less than a mile from shore. She drifted along the reef, shearing off her starboard propeller and gouging a large hole in her hull on the starboard side of the stern, beneath the waterline. Passengers were told that she was aground but there was no immediate danger. They were directed to don their lifejackets and report to their muster stations as a routine "precautionary measure".

The storm continued to grow more intense. The wind increased to over 250 kilometres per hour (160 mph) and she dragged her anchors and drifted into the harbour. At about 11.00 hrs, close to the western shore at Seatoun, her anchors finally held. At about the same time the tug TAPUHI reached her and tried to attach a line and bring her in tow, but after 10 minutes the line broke. Other attempts failed, but the deputy harbourmaster, Captain Galloway, managed to climb aboard from the pilot boat.

Throughout the morning, the danger of the ship sinking seemed to pass as the vessel's location was in an area where the water depth did not exceed 10 meters (30’), and the crew's worst-case scenario was the clean-up once the vessel either arrived in Wellington or had grounded in shallower water. There was indication that the ship would even sail again that evening as usual, albeit later than scheduled while the damage done by the reef was repaired.

At about 13.15 hrs the combined effect of the tide and the storm swung WAHINE around, providing a patch of clear water sheltered from the wind. As she suddenly listed further and reached the point of no return, Robertson gave the order to abandon ship. In an instance similar to what had occurred during the sinking of the Italian passenger liner ANDREA DORIA off the coast of New England in 1956, the severe starboard list left the four lifeboats on the port side useless: only the four on the starboard side could be launched.

The first starboard motor lifeboat, boat S1, capsized shortly after being launched. Those aboard were thrown into the water, and many were drowned in the rough sea, including two children and several elderly passengers. Survivor Shirley Hick, remembered for losing two of her three children in the disaster, recalled this event vividly, as her three-year-old daughter Alma had drowned in this lifeboat. Some managed to hold onto the overturned boat as it drifted across the harbour to the eastern shore, towards Eastbourne.

The three remaining standard lifeboats, which according to a number of survivors were severely overcrowded, did manage to reach shore. Lifeboat S2 reached Seatoun beach on the western side of the channel with about 70 passengers and crew, as did Lifeboat S4, which was severely overcrowded with over 100 people. Heavily overcrowded Lifeboat S3 landed on the beach near Eastbourne, about 3 miles (5 km) away on the opposite side of the channel.

WAHINE launched her life rafts, but waves up to 6 metres (20’) high capsized some of them and many people were killed. She sank in 38’ (12 m) of water, forcing hundreds of passengers and crew into the rough sea. When the weather cleared, the sight of her foundering in the harbour urged many vessels to race to the scene, including the ferry GMV ARAMOANA, tugs, fishing boats, yachts and small personal craft. They rescued hundreds of people. Over 200 passengers and crew reached the rocky shore of the east side of the channel, south of Eastbourne. As this area was desolate and unpopulated, many survivors were exposed to the elements for several hours while rescue teams tried to navigate the gravel road down the shoreline. It was here that a number of bodies were recovered.
At about 14.30 hrs WAHINE rolled completely onto her starboard side.
Some of the survivors reached the shore only to die of exhaustion or exposure. Fifty-one people died at the time, and two more died later from their injuries, 53 victims in all. Most of the victims were middle-aged or elderly, but included three children; they died from drowning, exposure or injuries from being battered on the rocks. Forty-six bodies were found; 566 passengers were safe, as were 110 crew, and six were missing.

Early hopes that she could be salvaged were abandoned when the magnitude of structural damage became clear. As the wreck was a navigational hazard, preparations were made over the next year to refloat her and tow her into Cook Strait for scuttling. However a similar storm in 1969 broke up the wreck, and it was dismantled (partly by the HIKITIA floating crane) where it lay.

(New Zealand 2018)
Various websites


Turkey issued 6 stamps in 2017 which shows us material used by the Turkish Defence Force, one stamp shows us a corvette in use by the Turkish Navy, not a name or pennant no is given or visible on the stamp only that she is one of the “Milgem Project”.

The lead ship of this class is the HEYBELIADA (F 511) which was built by the Tuzla Naval Shipyard in Istanbul for the Turkish Navy.
26 July 2005 laid down.
27 September 2008 launched as TGL HEYBELIADA (F511) one of the Ada class corvettes.
Displacement 2,340 ton, dim. 99.56 x 14.40 x 3.89m. (draught)
Powered: CODAG by two diesel engines and one gas turbine, 42,430 shp (31,640 kW), twin shafts, speed 29 knots maximum.
Range by a speed of 15 knots, 3,500 mile.
Armament: 1 – 76mm OTO Melara Super Rapid gun. 2 – 12.7mm Aselsan STAMP gun. 8 – Harpoon anti-surface missiles, 21 – RAM (PDMS) anti aircraft missiles and 2 – 324mm Mk.32 triple launchers for Mk.46 torpedoes,
Carries ? S-70B Seahawk ASW helicopters and a unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) , fitted out with landing platform and hangar.
Crew 93 but has accommodation for 106 persons.
27 September 2011 commissioned.

TCG HEYBELIADA (F-511) is the lead ship of the Ada-class ASW corvettes of the Turkish Navy. HEYBELIADA was named after Heybeliada Island, where the Turkish Naval High School is located. Heybeliada Island is part of the Prince Islands archipelago in the Sea of Marmara, to the southeast of Istanbul.
Designed, developed and built by the Tuzla (Istanbul) Naval Shipyard as a part of the MILGEM project, it was laid down on 22 January 2007, launched on 27 September 2008, and commissioned on 27 September 2011.
Istanbul Naval Shipyard Command started construction of HEYBELIADA on 22 January 2007. Sailed out for initial sea trials in 2008, she was officially commissioned by the Turkish Navy and entered navy service on 27 September 2011. Since her commissioning, her longest voyage has been 2013 Mediterranean cruise. This journey took the vessel to the ports of Alexandria, Tripoli, Libya, Algiers, La Goulette, Casablanca, and Durres. Throughout the vagaries of her service career, the vessel has received the moniker the "Ghost of the Seas".
HEYBELIADA has a displacement of 2,300 long tons (2,340 t), is 99.56 m (326.6 ft) in length, 14.4 m (47 ft) in beam, and has a draft of 3.89 m (12.8 ft). She is powered by two diesel engines and a gas turbine, with a power of 31,640 kilowatts (42,430 hp), driving two propellers, and is capable of speeding up to 29 knots (54 km/h; 33 mph). She has a range of 3,500 nautical miles (6,500 km) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph), and has an endurance of 21 days with logistical support and ten days while operating autonomously. She has a crew of 93, with space for up to 106
HEYBELIADA is equipped with GENESIS combat management system that controls search and navigation radars, electronic warfare suits, weapons, countermeasures, communication devices, underwater and onboard sensors. The ship is armed with a single 76-millimetre (3 in) OTO Melara gun, two ASELSAN STAMP 12.7-millimetre (0.50 in) guns, eight Harpoon missiles, 21 Rolling Airframe Missiles and two 324-millimetre (12.8 in) Mark 32 triple launchers for Mark 46 torpedoes. Electronic warfare systems include a dedicated EW radar, laser/RF systems, ASW jammers, and an SSTD system. Communication and navigation systems involve satellite communication, X-band, navigation, fire control and LPI radar, ECDIS, GPS and LAN infrastructure. The radar suite is the SMART-S Mk2, built by Thales. The ship is fitted with sonar developed by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey. The whole platform is managed by an advanced integrated platform management system.
The ship is capable of carrying Sikorsky S-70 helicopter or unmanned aircraft, along with the associated armaments, 20 tons of JP-5 aircraft fuel, aerial refueling systems and maintenance facilities.
2018 In service.

More info on the Milgem Project is given on:

Turkey 2017 3.70 + 10 Kuras sg?, scott?

Ship Stamps Collection

The full index of our ship stamp archive
  • Topics
    Last post

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum